Sign in to follow this  
Reginaoverdose

Awards Season! (Oscars and Golden Globes)

The Oscars are soon and the Golden Globes even sooner so I thought we could discuss the nominations, our picks and any thoughts on the movies we have seen this year and the people who made these movies so great Big Grin And the awards of past years too! Oh and maybe the dresses? Wink

And unlike music awards which are complete shit and rarely honor any deserving and true musicians... I feel like these movie awards actually carry weight, honor good movies and talented people. (Aside from some classic Oscar snubs! Let's talk about these too!!!)

The Oscars are soon and the Golden Globes even sooner so I thought we could discuss the nominations, our picks and any thoughts on the movies we have seen this year and the people who made these movies so great Big Grin And the awards of past years too! Oh and maybe the dresses? Wink

And unlike music awards which are complete shit and rarely honor any deserving and true musicians... I feel like these movie awards actually carry weight, honor good movies and talented people. (Aside from some classic Oscar snubs! Let's talk about these too!!!)

Results here:

http://www.goldenglobes.org/nominations/

Video highlights here:

http://tv.gawker.com/5735285/t...-golden-globe-awards

'The Social Network' pretty much won everything. Inception didn't win anything, which is bs. Tron should have been nominated for Best Score.

My favorite part was the last line by Ricky Gervais:

"And thank you to God for making me an atheist."

quote:
Originally posted by lennonist:

Inception didn't win anything, which is bs.

I can't stop thinking that Nolan is overrated. I hated Dark Knight with all my heart. Inception wasn't that bad but nothing spectacular the 9.0/10 on IMDB keeps bugging me (but please note that since Dark Knight I'm biased against him...)

Rick Gervais' monologue is an instant classic, rofl.

Natalie Portman's performance in Black swan was disscused here in some lenght and I guess we'll all agree that she deserves the Globe. Hopefully, she'll get the Oscar as well.

Off to watch social network, will be back to report Wink

I didn't think Chris Colfer deserved the Golden Globe, but I was happy for him anyway. I really wished Hugh Laurie had won in his category, but for all I know, Steve Buscemi deserved the award. Razzer

Hmm, The Social Network is a good movie not sure if it is the best of the best but good nevertheless. The score rocks (not suprising since Trent Reznor is involved Cool ). The topic is kinda "meh" for me but since it was about Zuckerberg's inability to connect with people rather than Facebook per say it wasn't all that bad.

I think I watch these shows more for people-watching and observing the mannerisms of the speakers than for who won. Christian Bale and Colin Firth had great speeches. Chris Nolan got snubbed, I think. The King's Speech, The Social Network, and Black Swan won big. Gotta watch these movies now. Florence Welch gave a brief unintelligible but beautiful performance of "If I Rise" from "127 Hours". Obama had a cameo, saying "And you can't go wrong with 'As Time Goes By' (from the 1942 classic Casablanca)". The stage and the screen were pretty epic. The stage crew did a nice job, unlike at the Grammys.

James Franco and Anne Hathaway were pretty fun as hosts. Loved the opening scene where they entered the scene of every movie.

James Franco and Anne Hathaway’s Oscars Opening Montage

http://tv.gawker.com/#!5771883...cars-opening-montage

Auto-tuned Harry Potter - "Tiny Ball of Light"

http://tv.gawker.com/#!5771930...ppened-at-the-oscars

I'm really glad Natalie Portman got Best Actress. That was really the award I was waiting for the whole time, and I really wanted her to win it.

I think Inception should have gotten the Best Score award. The two times I watched The Social Network, I didn't even really notice the score.

I honestly don't think Anne Hathaway and James Franco did a good job. I love them both, and know for a fact they are excellent actors, but were lackluster hosts. Part of that, I think, was some really lousy scripting for the show as a whole (seriously, Oprah came out talking about Hollywood films as a means of escapism, then proceeded to present the award for best documentary, the LEAST escapist genre of film). They seemed to fumble around all night, hanging on to the forward momentum of the show by their fingernails. I did really like the opening and the auto-tuning, and Anne's song to make Hugh Jackman feel guilty. And Florence, of course. She can make any awards show better by her performances. Overall, I really wanted it to be good, and I don't think it quite made it.

The reviews are decidedly negative. Was it really that bad? Roger Ebert said it was the worst ever and Tina Brown of NewsBeast said Hathaway was awful.

Then again, I wasn't really watching and split my time between my laptop and the show, so I might not be a good judge of how it was.

Yeah, Daft Punk should have been at least nominated for TRON Legacy and Hans Zimmer clearly deserved to win Best Score. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's score didn't really stand out, apart from Pieces Form a Whole. I guess they didn't want one movie to lock up the whole sound category.