lennonist

Introduce Yourself! Brümstix Questionnaire

quote:
Riikka, hmm... I'm not sure how to pronounce that, but it looks like a beautiful name!

Thanks! Hee, I would be very surprised if you knew how to pronunce it. Smiler Phonetically, Finnish is very different from English. "Ree-cca" would be sort of close, but the R should be Finnish, "sharp" R instead of the English version.

And wow, lennonist, the rest of your post... You're so kind, thank you! I'm nothing special, though. Smiler But to inspire at least someone, that must be a good thing. I'm also impressed that you bothered to check out Finnish music, it's always nice being able to "promote" good but not so well known music. In Samuli Putro's music, lyrics play a huge role and the compositions are often very simple, yet beautiful. You managed to pick a tricky song, for "Rämpytimies" isn't even a real word. It would mean something like "Strumming man", and it's an absurd, satirical song about writing top hits. Big Grin I love folk and everything that has to do with traditional music. Joni Mitchell isn't on the list, but her music is so deep and beautiful!

quote:
quote:

Originally posted by RJLupin2:

Books: His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis, The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Daniel Handler, Harry Potter by JK Rowling, and The Zombie Survival Guide (Big Grin).

I used to be such a fantasy nerd. I've read all the Harry Potter books and the three other books by JK Rowling, the Lemony Snicket series, the Artemis Fowl books, the Hitchhiker's series, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy including The Hobbit. I tried reading The Golden Compass but then had to return it to the library and only read the first Narnia book. :^( I dunno how I managed. I had so many spells from Harry Potter memorized. I used to be able to read books in one sitting when I was younger. I blame the internet for not being able to read as voraciously. I'm more of a sci-fi geek now. 'nyway, good job on reading all those books.

I share the fantasy geek background with you people. I am a part of the Harry Potter generation of course, and Lord of the Rings trilogy is something that will stay magical for me for the rest of my life. The book made a huge impact when I first read it, and never stopped doing so. Phillip Pullman is a wonderful, wise writer with his own world order. I love it! And I don't think that anyone's brain can work quite like Douglas Adams'. The master of absurdity that somehow makes perfect sense.

I haven't really foud new fantasy favourites in many years. It's hard to find good, grown-up fantasy books, so I just read the old favourites again. I do think that my history as a fantasy nerd still affects my taste in literature. I like books that have something strange in them. It's hard to explain... Authors that can find the magic in human life and mind always impress me.

quote:
Originally posted by himynameism:

Religious Views: everything? I believe in everything

Hah, the only safe answer. Way to cover all your bases.

rainna: I also love folk like none other. Joni Mitchell is great. Värttinä reminds me of Sandy Denny (she sang a duet with Robert Plant on Led Zeppelin's "The Battle of Evermore") and Jacqui McShee, both of whom I think you would like. My current signature refers to this song:

- the lyrics are so fun, especially whatever Jacqui sings at 1:48... "strange visions pass me by, winging swiftly close aside, o-ver the wa-ter, ah..." And this was my favorite song at some point a long time ago:
(cover of a 1968 Leonard Cohen song), a duet by Sandy Denny and Ian Matthews.
is quite good too. Ughh, so many memories...

One thing I forgot earlier, you said: "Daring to write and perform my own songs." Not to intimidate you, but I'd be really curious to see how that goes. ;P

Hm, as soon as I have a moment I'll definitely dive into all that folkiness! I absolutely should be asleep by now, but that Light Flight won't let me...

Oh, but you have intimidated me already! I'm currently hiding under my bed with the dust mites. Big Grin Serously though, there is some video evidence of me performing my music, but I think it will stay in the x-files for now. I wouldn't want post my songs on YouTube or anywhere where anyone could hear and see them. I'm so self-aware when it comes to music. I appreciate your interest, though, and if you drop by in Finland someday, I'll definitely arrange a private concert for you. Big Grin

Haha, sorry to intimidate you! I imagine that must have been pretty difficult and uncomfortable for you to write that post from under your bed. I profusely apologise for any harm or discomfort the dust mites may have caused you as a result of my actions. I must say that I am most graciously flattered by your offer of a private concert, so thank you very much for the merest suggestion of it! I haven't studied music, so I'm not judgmental (my brother is more musically and linguistically inclined than me and a better performer, so I wouldn't be critical like him) and would be appreciative of any performance, especially a private one. If I ever find myself near Scandinavia, then I would most definitely take a detour, just to see you perform a song of yours. =) It better be free though, otherwise I will have to decline. ;P

Stats

Name or nickname: Ksenia or Ксения

Age: 257 months (wow, I've been for a while on this planet!)

Orientation: under construction

Relationship status: single

Languages: Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, some Swedish

Life

Hobbies: playing the guitar and ukulele, going for sports, star gazing

Interests: my guitar and uke, basketball, astronomy, medicine, people, short/long conversations, animals, veterinary, languages, cultures, traveling

Political Views: I don't really have ones

Religious Views: spiritual

Favorite Things

Foods: SWEETS, sushi, pasta, shrimps. I love pretty much everything though. As long as it's food, as long as it's not spoiled but eatable

Color: purple and blue

Books: I read 'Catcher in the Rye' a few months ago. That was pretty good. Since I'm a sort of a nerd, I like to read mostly scientific books

TV: I don't have a TV. But when I did, I really enjoyed 'The Office'

Movies: 500 Days of Summer, Black Swan, The King's Speech, 127 Hours, Peaceful Warrior, Amelie, The Blind Side

Music: reg, Nicole Atkins, Brandi Carlile, Ingrid Michaelson, Amanda Palmer

Misc

Origin or meaning of your Username: there is nothing extraordinary, that's my name in Russian

First time you heard Regina: my friend showed me the video of 'Samson'. I guess it was back in 2008

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs: This is a hard one. Machine, Apres Moi, Braille, Us, One More Time With Feeling

Random fact about yourself: Sometimes (very rarely) when I fall asleep I hear orchestra music or different kind of music which I've never heard before

Who/What inspires you: reg, all the nice people I meet in my life. I'm blessed to know so many amazing human beings. Also people who have been through hard times and could survive/win/reach their goals or dreams no matter what

Best thing about last year: I met reg, Ingrid Michaelson, Amanda Palmer, went to UK and the states, joined Bruimstix

Looking forward to this year: meet reg, Brandi Carlile in June (thank you, George!) and hopefully Nicole Atkins again, find a steady/permanent job

Thank you, lennonist! It was quite interesting and made move my brains for a bit. Smiler

quote:

Random fact about yourself: Sometimes (very rarely) when I fall asleep I hear orchestra music or different kind of music which I've never heard before

That happens to me too! I thought I was the only one. I was just telling Raph about how it happened the other night, and then (at the risk of sounding like a crazy person) as I started to doze off the music got super loud and woke me up. But I still can never recognize it.

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

quote:

That happens to me too! I thought I was the only one. I was just telling Raph about how it happened the other night, and then (at the risk of sounding like a crazy person) as I started to doze off the music got super loud and woke me up. But I still can never recognize it.

That happens to me almost every time I go to sleep! And then if you can't really fall asleep and become a bit more awake for a second, the music stops. And then it's harder to go to sleep because it's suddenly so quiet.

quote:
Languages: Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, some Swedish

Now that's what I call impressive! When I was in Poland about five years ago, our Polish hosts tried to teach us a few words in Polish, but we didn't do very well... Big Grin Russian, Ukranian and Polish are closely related to each other, but I'm curious about where your Swedish has come from!

quote:
Haha, sorry to intimidate you! I imagine that must have been pretty difficult and uncomfortable for you to write that post from under your bed. I profusely apologise for any harm or discomfort the dust mites may have caused you as a result of my actions. I must say that I am most graciously flattered by your offer of a private concert, so thank you very much for the merest suggestion of it! I haven't studied music, so I'm not judgmental (my brother is more musically and linguistically inclined than me and a better performer, so I wouldn't be critical like him) and would be appreciative of any performance, especially a private one. If I ever find myself near Scandinavia, then I would most definitely take a detour, just to see you perform a song of yours. =) It better be free though, otherwise I will have to decline. ;P

Hee, I guess it's good to check the dust situation every now and then! I must say that I have a very long way ahead of me to reach the point where someone would actually pay me for singing my songs, so no worries there! Big Grin I'm a ridiculously shy musician and it's very hard for me to be satisfied with my own work, so even when I am absolutely sure that the audience means no harm, I tend to panic. I do love writing music though and I don't think I'll settle for playing it just for myself and my house plants for the rest of my life... Someday!

(By the way, lennonist, THANK YOU for Pentangle, the newest member of the multitude of Riikka's favourite bands! I'm in love with this music already...)

Your house plants are very fortunate to be in your care. You listed contemporary dance and acting as your hobbies, so that gave me a different impression, but it is perfectly understandable for one to be self-conscious or feel protective about their art. I would be the same way. I'm rather shy (meek and feeble more like) and awkward (sometimes intentionally for comic effect ;P) in real life myself.

I'm glad you like Pentangle. You are quite welcome. =) I've been trying and failing to restrain myself from bloating my posts with recommendations and suggestions for music. Jacqui McShee is a fine vocalist (I don't find Jansch to be much of a singer, however in

I love the part from 5:39 and when Bert Jansch sings at 6:32... "While underneath the spreading oak a knight with white device / Upon a shield of black, and deep in grief and sorrow sings / His unrequited love").

If you didn't know, Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, and Davey Graham (who is not in the band) are considered the pioneers of British folk guitar. Jimmy Page, the guitarist for the Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin, based his guitar solo "White Summer" on Davey Graham's She moved thru' the Bizarre/Blue Raga" and "Mustapha" without credit, and also controversially recorded an instrumental version of Bert Jansch's arrangement for "Blackwaterside" without credit and retitled it as "Black Mountain Side" (Bert Jansch was too poor to sue), so that's how my brother found out about Pentangle I think.

Yeah, my brother is more interesting than me. He plays the piano, guitar, and harmonica. He plays mostly the Beatles, Jethro Tull, and classic folk (

- he probably uploaded his rendition of "She Moved Thru the Fair" and "Blackwaterside" to Youtube but I currently don't have a link to those). He took French and Latin in high school and is teaching himself Russian. I basically listen to whatever he listens to; only rarely do I discover a band that he likes before him...

Anyway, I told my brother about Värttinä and he showed me this:

(
), which is apparently famous for being used in an internet meme. The song is very enticing. I never noticed how big and booming the Scandinavian music scene is right now (for example Sigur Rós, Björk, Fever Ray, Lykke Li, Peter Bjorn and John, The Raveonettes, Mew, Annie, Sondre Lerche).

I didn't realize that you might not be able to play certain Youtube songs because of that pesky notice that the video you have requested is not available for your geograhic region. If that is the case for Fairport Convention's "Bird on a Wire" then here's a link to the song on Grooveshark. I love love love Fairport Convention. Perhaps you will like

- gah, too many apostrophes. This one is fun to sing along to (if you're male, I guess):
(
and
). You might be also be interested in Steeleye Span from the same British folk scene:

btw, I'm really impressed by how culturally literate you are, moreso than my friends. I mean, you've read so many mainstream American and British novels -- JK Rowling, JRR Tolkien, Phillip Pullman, Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman... and you watch House and listen to such diverse music and your English is so good, especially if you were able to endure reading Lord of the Rings. I think you are more cultured and well-rounded than your average peer. I really admire how the Dutch and the Nordic countries are so tolerant and multilingual and appreciative of other cultures. It's really interesting to see the effects of globalization and cultural diffusion because of television and the internet I guess, whether for better or worse. I haven't really traveled, so forgive me if I am being ignorant or being assuming.

edit: woah, Pentangle was on

. I did not know about this... Just wow.

edit2: Huh, Husky Rescue is from Finland. Reeta-Leena Korhola is so silky smooth and her voice is so velvety.

"Sound of Love" -

(Live at the WIlmington Arms)

Stats

Name or nickname:Dominic or Dom

Orientation:Bisexual

Relationship status:Single

Languages:English, French (half french)and Irish.

Life

Hobbies:playing the piano and clarinet. designing or learning about fashion. watching movies.

Interests:music, fashion, movies and art..

Political Views:political reform

Religious Views:agnostic/humanist

Favorite Things

Foods:pasta and tomato sauce. french food. iced tea and crisps.

Color:dark red like burgundy.

Books:the book thief was sad. and one day.

TV:don't have one but i like glee, true blood and heroes before it got crap.

Movies:brokeback mountain,eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, meet joe black, stand by me, boogie nights and this boy's life and parent trap.(most of them were recent ones on my mind)

Music:Regina Spektor, Black Eyed Peas (don't laugh) Camille, Yeah yeah yeahs, LCD Soundsystem, Lady Gaga, Tallest man on earth, Lupe Fiasco, Joanna Newsom and way more. Lots of Jazz too.

Misc

Origin or meaning of your Username:

First time you heard Regina:is it bad that i can't remember?

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs:flip, ok first to come to mind....loveology, ode to divorce, one more time with feeling, on the radio..8th floor?

Random fact about yourself:i have a strange accent and way of pronouncing...apparently.

Who/What inspires you:life and people who are astounding at what they do. right now if i had to pick an idol it would be leonardo di caprio.

Best thing about last year:Transition year. a year in our school which is optional. only 24 people picked it so it was one class. made my whole year of school amazing and spontaneous.

Looking forward to this year:progressing hopefully.