lennonist

Introduce Yourself! Brümstix Questionnaire

Yeah well, I'm full of contradictions... Big Grin I guess it is sort of weird to love performing arts as much as I do and still be so scared of performing but that's pretty much the way I am. I've always loved practising these art forms. I want to enjoy, to learn more and develope my skills as much as I can. I don't hate performing, I usually like it very much once I have overcome the panic and forced myself to the stage. Performing live is great! But performing solo is pretty damn scary anyway. Smiler I don't want to put my neck out for some random YouTube people who can be so inconsiderate or just mean, who would probably tell me that my singing sucks and that they don't like my looks. I'm not strong enough to handle those sorts of comments.

Jacqui McShee is wonderful, her voice is exactly the kind that I like. Though on Pentagle's live videos she looks strangley nonchalant while she sings. Big Grin The contrast between her super expressive voice and the pretty blank expression on her face is confusing! Oh how I wish I had a guitarist with whom I could try to do these songs...

Your brother plays really well and sounds like an interesting person, but don't you come and tell me that he is more interesting than you are! I don't believe that's possible.

Yep, some Scandinavian bands are quite hot stuff nowadays but, to be strict, Finland in fact is not a part of Scandinavia. Too bad for us. Big Grin The internationally popular music that comes from Finland is mostly heavy metal nowadays. As you probably have figured out by now, I'm not very heavy metal orientated person... There's this one band I found when I was twelwe, my first real favourite band called Nightwish. They play dramatic, melodic, film-music-like metal. Even though my taste in music nowadays is quite far from heavy, I must admit that I still love Nightwish, I go to their concerts and by their cds. My guilty pleasure... Big Grin I haven't listened to Husky Rescue much, but I have heard Sounds of Love and I like the song a lot. Reeta-Leena is a great singer and a lovely woman!

Hehe, I recieve the compliments with gratitude and joy, but I'm afraid I am not as awesome as I might appear to be. The credit should go to the Finnish educational and cultural system more than to me. Finland is not as isolated as Americans often think. When something - a book, a film, an artist, a politician - gets big in the USA, we know about it here. I read a lot of books in English because I like the language, but almost all of the fantasy books you mentioned have been translated to Finnish. I read LOTR when I was ten years old and that wouldn't have been possible without the translation. Almost every Finnish child starts studying English at the age of nine or ten, so my language skills aren't that exceptional either. I dare say that I speak and write a little better than an average Finn but I am far from perfect. I want to become as fluent as I can but I still have a lot of work to do.

I never expect anyone to know anything about Finland, so I don't mind. Smiler Even though there are things in Finnish culture I don't like at all, in general I'm proud of my country and I gladly tell other people about it. I like the fact that my culture is a little bit foreign and mysterious to people from bigger countries. It forces us Finns to study languages and learn about other cultures, and it's always nice to confuse people with Facts from Finland. Big Grin

Ouch, way too long a post and I'm too tired to check my spelling... Sorry and good night!

quote:
Originally posted by rainna:

quote:
Languages: Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, some Swedish

Now that's what I call impressive! When I was in Poland about five years ago, our Polish hosts tried to teach us a few words in Polish, but we didn't do very well... Big Grin Russian, Ukranian and Polish are closely related to each other, but I'm curious about where your Swedish has come from!

I should have specified that I can understand, read, but not write in Polish. Yeah, all these languages are very close to each other. They are sort of mixed with each other too.

I had a boyfriend from Sweden. I started to learn Swedish because I wanted and planned to move there over. I know some basics. It was very interesting to start learning a new language. The pronunciation was the hardest part for me. It was fun though. Since we broke up, I stopped learning it because I wouldn't need it anymore.

Now I want to learn Spanish. Many people say that it's an easy language. I guess I will see soon if it's true. Smiler

One day I might find the time to reply to this whole thing, but in the meantime:

quote:
Originally posted by lennonist:

Gotta read Jonathan Safran-Foer sometime.

It's a must.

quote:
Originally posted by rainna:

I've recently read and liked Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman,

This is about to be made for TV in the UK by Terry Jones. (I'm a huge Pratchett fan and looking forward to it already!)

Yeah, my friends have been telling me to read Catch-22, Stranger in Strange Land, and Safran-Foer for a long time. My reading list is way too long.. seriously, I will post it somewhere if you want to see it. ;P

If you like Neil Gaiman, then when you have a little bit of time to kill, read this short story by him. Prepare yourself and enjoy. I'm afraid I don't have any insight about it for after you finish reading it. ;\

I'm excited about his role as guest-writer for the upcoming season of Doctor Who.

We need a books thread for us bibliophiles... there probably is one already.

I'm reading Plato right now, and will have to read Aristotle, Hobbes, Rousseau, Locke, Rawls, Nozick, Nagel, Machiavelli, Nietzsche, Foucault, Habermas, etc. for a political philosophy class. It's fun, not even kidding. I'm very grateful for the opportunity. =)

did you regina fans know that you're kinda famous/well-known in my eyes?? your youtube videos, song covers, photos, blogs, etc. are posted everywhere online and i always recognize the same faces, screenames, and such! i'm the biggest regina fan but i don't think anyone knows me...haha so i guess i should do this questionnaire?...

quote:
Originally posted by sweetness in my lungs:

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

quote:

Random fact about yourself: Sometimes (very rarely) when I fall asleep I hear orchestra music or different kind of music which I've never heard before

That happens to me too! I thought I was the only one. I was just telling Raph about how it happened the other night, and then (at the risk of sounding like a crazy person) as I started to doze off the music got super loud and woke me up. But I still can never recognize it.

That happens to me almost every time I go to sleep! And then if you can't really fall asleep and become a bit more awake for a second, the music stops. And then it's harder to go to sleep because it's suddenly so quiet.

Wow, isn't that interesting that we have the same thing to share. I am also glad to get to know that I'm not the only crazy (in a good way) person on here and somebody feels/hears/has it too. Now I don't sound that crazy as I did.

I used to hear orchestra music that woke me up too when it got louder. I never recognize it either. It's kinda sad. I wish I could write that down on a music sheet. I hear a lot of pop songs too, which is pretty annoying since I'm not really into pop music anymore.

p.s.: Smimmingpoolnoises, please do so. We want to get to know you better! And welcome to the Stix!

just some brief answers about myself! i hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoyed all of yours. here it goes:

Stats

Name or nickname: candy seto (add me on facebook if you please!Big Grin)

Orientation: straight

Relationship status: single

Languages: english

Life

Hobbies: -hoping to expand this area!!-

Interests: regina spektor, film, girly stuff, saving money, environmental friendlyness, my gorilla plushie, andy warhol art, youtube, sociology, psychology, french culture

Political Views: none

Religious Views: none

Favorite Things

Foods:in-n-out, hot wings, sushi/sashimi, seafood, all kinds of soup, pho

Color: pink, olive, seafoam green, silver, black, purple, red, nude

Books: i haven't read anything non-school related for the longest time!

TV: medium, the simpsons, malcolm in the middle, alias, sex and the city, supernnanny, everybody hates chris, fresh prince and most recently, modern family

Movies: breakfast at tiffany's, roman holiday, bonnie and clyde, and most recently, taxi driver

Music: uh helloo regina spektor! and most recently, i've been catching up on sondre lerche

Misc

Origin or meaning of your Username: "i heard the swimming pool noises, i didn't know there were swimming pool noises, and there was a dog, a dog, a real live dog"

First time you heard Regina: back in 2006/2007 myspace music featured the fidelity music video on their homepage. that's probably how a million other people discovered her!

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs: in no particular order: small town moon, oedipus, loveology, time is all around, human of the year

Random fact about yourself: i absolutely hate talking in front of people!

Who/What inspires you: regina spektor, thoughtful strangers and youtubers: kandee johnson and shaytards

Best thing about last year: getting rid of people that were poisoning my life

Looking forward to this year: possible regina concerts, being free, nice people, turning thoughts into actions

quote:
Originally posted by lennonist:

quote:
Originally posted by Ксения:

I used to hear orchestra music that woke me up too when it got louder.

? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Smiler I thought about that too. I hear only music though (mostly violins and cellos), with no voices.