lennonist

Introduce Yourself! Brümstix Questionnaire

I missed this in today's mad skirmish.

Welcome aboard Klachopis. I love your responses.

You'll fit right in as a Reginaphile. That sounds creepy. Hmm, what to call us... People living in the Queen City of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada are called Reginans. Oh wait, I forget, we can just be Brümstixers. Mmm, soup. ;^)

quote:
Originally posted by lennonist:

I missed this in today's mad skirmish.

Welcome aboard Klachopis. I love your responses.

You'll fit right in as a Reginaphile. That sounds creepy. Hmm, what to call us... People living in the Queen City of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada are called Reginans. Oh wait, I forget, we can just be Brümstixers. Mmm, soup. ;^)

I reserve the right to consider myself a Reginaphile. ;-)

But, I also like Reginite: one who lives in Reginopolis and practices Registentinalism.

Stats

Name or nickname: Ellie

Orientation: I've never truly been in love with anyone, so I don't really know

Relationship status: Mentally dating Bear Spektor, but otherwise single.

Languages: English and French

Life

Hobbies: sketching, violin, blogging, science team, reading.

Interests: Art and random facts.

Political Views: none really.

Religious Views: atheist.

Favorite Things

Foods: vegetables, ice cream, & tea.

Color: purple or turquoise.

Books: All the books in the Harry Potter and Series of Unfortunate Events series, as well as those in A Wrinke In Time, especially A Wind in the Door. All of John Green's books (Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, Will Grayson Will Grayson, and An Abundance of Katherines) are my all time favorite single novels.

TV: Jeopardy, it's the only TV show I watch.

Movies: Fantastic Mr. Fox, Dan in Real Life, 500 Days of Summer, and every black and white movie i've ever seen. Old movies > new movies.

Music: Regina Spektor, The Beatles, The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Freelance Whales, Fiest, Noah and the Whale, Beirut, Ingrid Michealson, Bob Dylan, Death Cab for Cutie, the Postal Service, Gregory & the Hawk, Jaymay, Only Son, MGMT, Florence + the Machine... mostly indie/alternative/folk/rock.

Misc

Origin or meaning of your Username: Be Like a Cloud is one of my favorite Regina songs.

First time you heard Regina: I was in a Crate and Barrel store a year ago and The Calculation came on and I thought it sounded nice so I searched the lyrics when I came home. I had a far different music style than I do now, and Regina kind of changed my life. Really, not only my music preferences but I am a totally different person then I was a year ago... but this is getting off-topic.

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs: Be Like a Cloud, All the Rowboats, Loveology, The Calculation (simply because it was the first Regina song I had ever heard), and Us.

Random fact about yourself: One of my eyes is green, and the other is green with a chunk of brown that takes up 25% of the green like a pie-chart sort of.

Who/What inspires you: Regina.

Best thing about last year: Finding out who Regina was.

Looking forward to this year: Going into the New York City for my birthday and visiting museums, and meeting new people in school in September. I feel like it's time to make new friends.

Ellie, you are so versatile. You put me to shame and I love that. Btw, Barry Spektor is apparently almost 21 now! How time flies!

I guess we both have freaky eyes. I love that you like ice-cream AND vegetables and drink tea. Love your musical taste too. I feel like it's way too refined for your age. It took me a long while to discover some of those bands... I listen to basically the same music as you nowadays.

I liked the Lemony Snicket series. I didn't read any of the sequels to A Wrinkle in Time. I do love the Artemis Fowl series and catch up with them with every installment, even though I feel too old to get away with reading young adult literature now. If you're ever debating which book to pick up during the summer, consider "O Pioneers!" by Willa Cather - it's one of my favorite books. I share your love for old movies. Some of my favorite movies are Harold and Maude (1971), The Truman Show (1998), Gattaca (1997), Groundhog Day (1993), The Princess Bride (1987), Casablanca (in b&w) (1942), Miller's Crossing (1990) - check those out if you can. ;^) I don't remember how many b&w movies I've seen. I've seen a few Alfred Hitchcock movies and a Charlie Chaplin movie.

Enjoy New York City and have a happy birthday.

Stats

Name or nickname: Marianka which is Marianna which is Maryann as well but I prefer the first one Smiler

Orientation: heterosexual

Relationship status: never had one

Languages: Polish, English, struggling with French, twice a week- Italiano

Life

Occupation: student, very active and very busy working on different stuff after school

Hobbies: singing, I like searching for nice things and clothes, buying them even more.

Interests: art, books (old ones especially), history, movies

Political Views: fortunately none

Favorite Things

Foods: tea tea tea tea. Ice cream, italian food and coffee as well.

Color: doesn't really matter as long as it's cheerful (somehow)

Books: lots of! Recently I liked Steinbeck, Remarque, Nabokov- nothing original... Oh, and Terry Pratchett- I'm a devoted fan. The books of my childhood- by C.S. Lewis And L.M. Montgomery.

TV: Glee! It's extremely sad and sometimes I have to switch it off because of the crappy songs they sing...Anyway- I like their energy and wish I had a glee club at my school.

Movies: Tarantino's, the ones with war in them, musicals. Except for those three, there's no rule.

Music: Jazz, The Beatles, Queen, other good rock bands, Joanna Newsom, Bob Dylan, Claude Debussy, Polish. And more.

Misc

First time you heard Regina: 2007, The Chronicles of Narnia.

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs: just for now- Loveology, Better, Ink Stains, Fidelity, Summer in the city.

Random fact about yourself: I can't stand bananas and panic every time I smell one. Or see.

Who/What inspires you: school (seriously, it's great!), charm of pre-war Warsaw, charm of post-war Warsaw, Regina Spektor, John Lennon, Anne Frank, American 50's, Ella Fitzgerald, people I meet.

Best thing about last year: visiting America, new friendship, huge social activity

Looking forward to this year: the beginning of high school adventure

Hello there Marianka! A big hearty welcome to you.

You like John Steinbeck? Did you read him in English? I found him too verbose. "All Quiet on the Western Front" (translated to English, of course) was a good read. I've been told to read Pratchett many times since I liked Douglas Adams, but haven't yet.

I don't like bananas, but I like banana pudding and banana yogurt - could that be the case with you? I like mango milkshake the best. ;D

YES, young'uns who love old stuff! I wish I was alive during the 50's and 60's. Everything was better back then.. the fashion, the music, the protests, the culture.. I feel like I was born in the wrong place and wrong time.

No, even though I prefer original versions to translations. Too much is changed and the specific character or personal style can be lost easily...That's a pity!

Have you read "The Road Back"? It's the continuation of "All Quiet...", for me sometimes even more moving.

I hate bananas in every form, this is so bizarre!

Well, that's true. But I enjoy the reality so much that I don't think of it often. I'm crazy about my life, totally. And what our lives would be without Regina? Oh, I feel I was born in the best time ever!

Hmm, that's true. Living during today's time of technological renaissance and global connectiveness and Regina is a blessing.

In that case, I wish I lived in the Swinging Sixties of 2263 AD on the Raja Pleasure Ship in deep space, so I could have the technology and the nostalgia! How's that? ;P (no one is going to get that reference)

No, I haven't read the sequel. I did see the 1930 film based on AQotWF. It's on Google Videos, since the copyright expired and it's in public domain: http://video.google.com/videop...7300946306109319965#

But that's all besides the point, so welcome again to the 'stix.

Stats

Name or nickname: Elvira but recently my classmates started calling me Psychophysicist Jew-expert Signorina Curtis just because i absolutely can't stand if they say "Jew" as an insult, it's really disgusting

Orientation: Straight.

Relationship status: fortunately (or unfortunately) single

Languages: Hungarian, Italian, English... some Spanish (my 5-year-old cousin taught me).

Life

Hobbies: cello, piano, photography, reading, singing, writing, eating, talking with people, travel, drawing, cooking.

Interests: music and all kinds of art, geography, architecture, psychology, photography, animals, languages, cultures. And some people say i'll become a philosopher. So philosophy.

Political Views: I'm disappointed by Italian politicians

Religious Views: i'm officially Catholic, but i feel really close to the Jewish religion and culture, i don't know why...

Favorite Things

Foods: palacsinta! (it's a pancake, typically Hungarian), lasagne (typically Italian), fruit, water... chewing gum.

Color: blue, green, purple, orange, white

Books: The Diary of AnneFrank, If on a winter's night a traveller - Italo Calvino, Kitchen - Banana Yoshimoto, Franny and Zooey - J.D. Salinger, And then there were none (Ten little niggers), Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie, Fish - L.S. Mattews

TV: euronews, and random stuff

Movies: Train de vie, Le concert, Baaría, The legend of the pianist on the ocean, Good bye Lenin, Lisbon Story, The king's speech, Not without my daughter.

Music: Regina. The Beatles, Only Son, The Strokes, Ingrid Michaelson, Jenny Owen Youngs, Fredrika Stahl, Yael Naim, classical, Janis Joplin, Király Martina (she's Hungarian and i know her personally because she's my mother's friend), Vladimir Vysotsky, Yann Tiersen, Kate Nash

Misc

Origin or meaning of your Username: well... it's Pavlov's Daughter.

First time you heard Regina: it was 1 year ago, probably on the 23rd of May

Top 9 Regina Spektor songs: Apres Moi, Us, Ink Stains, The sword and the pen, Mockingbird, Ballad of a Politician, 8th floor, One-string blues, Field Below

Random fact about yourself: I'm half Italian and half Hungarian but i don't really feel like having a nationality. And when i was 2 i decided: want to become an architect.

Who/What inspires you: Regina, the metro in Budapest, and the thunder.

Best thing about last year: summer.

Looking forward to this year: Meeting Regina, and going to another school, finally (next year)