lennonist

Introduce Yourself! Brümstix Questionnaire

Hello, and welcome to the Brümstix. Help yourself to some hot soup, and introduce yourself!

Feel free to share whatever you feel safe or comfortable sharing and be as open or reserved as you want. All fields are optional. Feel free to omit or add categories or whatever. Feel free to be verbose or laconic. And if you're so inclined, feel free to introduce yourself in essay-format, but the list is encouraged and pretty comprehensive. I don't see any other threads of this type, so I guess this can be the official 'Introduce Yourself' thread. I tried to keep this as simple and non-intimidating as possible to get maximum participation, and hopefully everyone will fill this out. So come out of your shadows, those who lurk, and answer this survey.

Just copy and paste this and fill it out!:

[i]Stats[/i]
[b]Name or nickname:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Orientation:[/b]
[b]Relationship status:[/b]
[b]Location:[/b]
[b]Languages:[/b]

[i]Life[/i]
[b]Occupation:[/b]
[b]Hobbies:[/b]
[b]Interests:[/b]
[b]Political Views:[/b]
[b]Religious Views:[/b]

[i]Favorite Things[/i]
[b]Foods:[/b]
[b]Color:[/b]
[b]Books:[/b]
[b]TV:[/b]
[b]Movies:[/b]
[b]Music:[/b]

[i]Misc[/i]
[b]Origin or meaning of your Username:[/b]
[b]First time you heard Regina:[/b]
[b]Top 5 Regina Spektor songs:[/b]
[b]Random fact about yourself:[/b]
[b]Who/What inspires you:[/b]
[b]Best thing about last year:[/b]
[b]Looking forward to this year:[/b]

Guess I'll be first and lead by example. =)

Stats

Name or nickname: Samuel or Sam. In high school a few people called me "Jupiter", because, apparently, I was "out of this world".

Orientation: Heterosexual omniphile, if that makes sense.

Relationship status: Terminally lonely.

Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe (or Multiverse).

Languages: American and British English. Took four years of German in high school. Know a tiny bit of Russian due to Russian brother-in-law. Hoping/Trying to learn French. I know the Sign language alphabet and memorized the Greek alphabet at one point - does that count?

Life

Occupation: Life-long full-time professional student and imagineer/ingenere.

Hobbies: Other than this, blogs, reddit, running, playing the flute, languages.

Interests: Regina Spektor, music, history, languages/linguistics, science-fiction, politics, energy and the environment.

Political Views: Unapologetically progressive. Socially very liberal. Fiscally apathetic.

Religious Views: Lennonism/Spektorism. JK, (secular) Humanist, incurably so. Or maybe not.

Favorite Things

Foods: Chocolate is always good, in moderate amounts, usually.

Color: Blue - it's the most human color, dontcha know?

Books: Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, O Pioneers! by Willa Cather, The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, The Natural by Bernard Malamud, Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, 1984 by George Orwell, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, I Robot by Isaac Asimov, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce, Ender's Game, Veniss Underground by Jeff VanderMeer, The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi, and more.

TV: Doctor Who, Firefly, Dollhouse, hulu.com/Kings, The Office (UK and US), Scrubs, and others.

Movies: Haven't seen many... Harold and Maude (1971), The Truman Show (1998), Gattaca (1997), 500 Days of Summer (2009), Groundhog Day (1993), The Princess Bride (1987), Casablanca (1942), Miller's Crossing (1990), Children of Men (2006), V for Vendetta (2006), Fight Club (1999), Inception (2010), District 9 (2009), Primer (2004), Serenity (2005), Moon (2009).

Music: Top 10 Musical Artists/Groups:

Top Oldies: The Beatles/John Lennon, The Moody Blues, Cat Stevens, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, Fairport Convention, The Yardbirds.

Top Modern: Arcade Fire, Animal Collective, Bibio, Cults, MGMT, Neutral Milk Hotel, Noah and the Whale, Sigur Rós, Regina Spektor, The Strokes.

Top Obscure: Stealing Sheep, Hop Along Queen Ansleis, Working for a Nuclear Free City, Magic Man, The Crimea.

See "Our Music" thread for fuller answer. Basically classic rock, indie rock, progressive rock, pyschedelic rock, ambient rock, noise pop, dream pop.

Misc

Origin or meaning of your Username: I am like one of the biggest Beatles fanatics. John Lennon is my savior, and his song "Imagine" is my Bible.

First time you heard Regina: (500) Days of Summer in late 2009.

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs: Blue Lips, Us, Loveology, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Après Moi.

Random fact about yourself: I, like Thom Yorke, have ptosis, specifically the neurogenic ptosis called Marcus Gunn jaw winking syndrome. Basically my left eyelids are more wide open than my right eyelids at times.

Who/What inspires you: Regina, TED Talks, smart people, Carl Sagan, Anne Frank, Rachel Corrie.

Best thing about last year: Seeing Regina at Dillo Day. Spending time with my new niece.

Looking forward to this year: The summer. Hopefully it'll be productive this time.

Whew, and Yay! There, don't you feel so much better now? It doesn't have to be as detailed as I was. Answer in whatever way you want and skip what you don't feel like answering. ?;^)

I too would love for this lovely place to feel a little more homely, so I shall contribute. Smiler

Stats

Name or nickname: Raphael, or Raph. I'm also not strange to the nickname RJ either.

Orientation: Open minded.

Relationship status: Unfortunately single..

Languages: First language is American English. I don't know any other languages, but I can read the Russian Cyrillic Alphabet.

Life

Hobbies: Philosophy, videogames, music, American 40s-50s New York style movies, you know, stuff.

Interests: See above. :P

Political Views: Under construction.

Religious Views: Agnostic Theist.

Favorite Things

Foods: Loves me some Spinach.

Color: GREEn

Books: His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis, The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Daniel Handler, Harry Potter by JK Rowling, and The Zombie Survival Guide (Big Grin).

TV: Dexter, Lost, ER, Ghost Adventures (Don't make fun of me.), Scrubs, Futurama, and some others.

Movies: V For Vendetta, Black Swan, The King's Speech, Inception, Toy Story 3, The Way Back, and many, many more.

Music: Regina, of course; Gorillaz, Cloud Cult, Radiohead, Muse, Coldplay, Arcade Fire, Daft Punk, Panic! At The Disco, Modest Mouse, Mogwai, The White Stripes.

Misc

Origin or meaning of your Username: It started out as just a screenname for me to use so I could get passed all my Mother's parental controls. Eventually I started using the email address as like a sign up spam folder so that if any websites I joined sent me spam, it wouldn't clutter up my main email. I started using it more, though, as time went by.

First time you heard Regina: On the radio in the car. It was one of my sister's first times driving out in the world, and she had Begin To Hope playing. It was Fidelity and we played it over and over.

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs: Just Like The Movies, Oedipus, December, Aprés Moi, Hero.

Random fact about yourself: I was homeschooled from third grade and onward.

Who/What inspires you: My drive is to be a decent human being in a world full of saddening acts.

Best thing about last year: My aunt sending me $1600 for my birthday. I was able to buy myself a keyboard! Big Grin

Looking forward to this year: I.. don't know.

Stats

Name or nickname: Jamie, and I don't really have a nickname. Some of my friends call me "Jaime" (like hi-may) I'm not sure why

Orientation: Liberal, interested in men

Relationship status: single

Languages: English, Latin, some Spanish, starting to learn some Russian (!), about to start German

Life

Hobbies: jogging, movies, video games, cello

Interests: History, pop culture

Political Views: Liberal Progressive

Religious Views: Presbyterian (the PC-USA. It makes a difference.)

Favorite Things

Foods: Anything spicy, but especially Indian food

Color: Orange, green, purple (not together)

Books: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Emma by Jane Austen, I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, The Lord of the Rings, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safron-Foer, etc...

TV: Chuck, Bones, Grey's Anatomy, How I Met Your Mother, 30 Rock, The Office

Movies: The King's Speech, Serenity, The Lord of the Rings, Gone with the Wind, Bonnie and Clyde, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Arc, Shawshank Redemption, A Streetcar Named Desire (this could go on forever)

Music: Regina, Florence + the Machine. Jenny Owen Youngs, Bess Rogers, Guster, Coldplay, Adele, Ingrid Michaelson, Classical, etc...

Misc

Origin or meaning of your Username: It is my screen name for everything these days so I don't have to remember new ones

First time you heard Regina: In the back of my friend's car off to buy chocolates for a play. It was just after Valentine's day 2007.

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs: The Calculation, Human of the Year, Fidelity, Hero of the Story, Us

Random fact about yourself: I've traveled to either 9 or 11 countries, depending on who you ask (if Monaco and Vatican City count as countries)

Who/What inspires you: People who are always genuine and friendly, and can start a conversation out of nothing

Best thing about last year: Thanksgiving with my family in the Rockies

Looking forward to this year: My 21st birthday... (5 months exactly from today!)

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

I tried to do this on a much smaller scale back in the day. But it hasn't been touched in years. You might find some info though on some people that are still around.

http://reginaspektor.infopop.c...771050611#6771050611

Just found my original post

"im 13!

ive first discovered her right about the time Soviet kitsch was released, a little before. I really noticed her once i stumbled upon the "us" video, accidentally

"

Well that was in 2006, and now it's 2011. I am 18 now! Big Grin Oh, how the time flies..

Stats

Name or nickname: My name is Jeremy.

Orientation: Straight

Relationship status: Single

Languages: English / Spanish (enough Spanish to speak comfortably with my relatives.. I wouldn't call myself fluent. My mother was born in Argentina, so I know a good amount)

Life

Hobbies: Listening to, writing, preforming and appreciating music. Here's my YouTube page

I also love doing graphic design and editing photo/video material on my computer!

Interests: Music! I play the double bass, piano, guitar, and I love to sing. I do a lot of musical composition, and I am currently a part-time music student at Butler University, studying with Professor David Murray! (I'm also a normal high school student :P)

I also love movies, art, traveling, computers, and all things technology-related..

Political Views: Socially Liberal, Fiscally Moderate

Religious Views: I've been going to church all my life, being raised a protestant, but my own views are still forming.

Favorite Things

Foods: Sushi and any kind of gummy candy.

Color: Blue and gray

Books: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - jonathan safran foer

Where the Wild Things Are - maurice sendak

To Kill a Mockingbird - harper lee

The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

Desolation Angels - jack kerouac

TV: All time favorite show: Twin Peaks!

I don't usually watch TV, but I follow a few shows on hulu: Brothers & Sisters and Modern Family Smiler

Cartoons from my childhood: Hey Arnold!, Spongebob, Rocko's Modern Life, etc....

Movies: So many to choose from!

Dancer in the Dark

Pan's Labyrinth

To Kill a Mockingbird

Blue Velvet

Inland Empire

Mulholland Drive

The Shining

Music:

The Big Three: Björk, regina spektor, and Joanna Newsom!

Since i'm a classical musician, some of my favorite artists are of that genre: Bartok, Sibelius, Shostakovitch.. too many.

Misc

Origin or meaning of your Username: On here I'm SteppedOnASyringe, SOAS for short. The user name is a reference to the regina song "i cut off my hair" ... don't make some kind of morbid drug or medical connotation. Wink

First time you heard Regina: I heard regina first accidentally right around when Soviet Kitsch was released, around 2004? I joined the 'stix in 2006.

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs: (i had to pick 6) in no order:

loveology

just like the movies

december

dog and pony

making records

aquarius

Random fact about yourself: I was born in President Clinton's inauguration day.

Who/What inspires you: So much music, poetry, art, film... so many people... my friends...family... nature.. the universe...

Best thing about last year: I met a new friend who has become one of the closest people to me!

Looking forward to this year: Finding out where I get into college (april 1st is the big day!)

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

I tried to do this on a much smaller scale back in the day. But it hasn't been touched in years. You might find some info though on some people that are still around.

http://reginaspektor.infopop.c...771050611#6771050611

Thanks for the link. Surprisingly, there is no "Introduce Yourself" thread. There is a "hi i'm a newbie" thread, but that's not quite the same thing. Plus, this covers gender and location. I expected more girls or girly men to be on here. :P And older listeners, because I think you kinda have to be mature to appreciate Regina. It'd also be interesting to look at the age of users when they registered as opposed to how old they are now...

Might as well hold that after-party. I wish I put "life-long student" as occupation and forgot to put baroque pop in music. Minor points, oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

Books: His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis, The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Daniel Handler, Harry Potter by JK Rowling, and The Zombie Survival Guide (Big Grin).

I used to be such a fantasy nerd. I've read all the Harry Potter books and the three other books by JK Rowling, the Lemony Snicket series, the Artemis Fowl books, the Hitchhiker's series, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy including The Hobbit. I tried reading The Golden Compass but then had to return it to the library and only read the first Narnia book. :^( I dunno how I managed. I had so many spells from Harry Potter memorized. I used to be able to read books in one sitting when I was younger. I blame the internet for not being able to read as voraciously. I'm more of a sci-fi geek now. 'nyway, good job on reading all those books.

Gotta read Jonathan Safran-Foer sometime.

Oh, and O Pioneers! (1913) > The Great Gatsby (1925). It's the same plot and same exact story, except Willa Cather's book came first and was much better, imo.

Even though I have contributed to the forum for a while already, it's really nice to read these posts and learn so many new things about my fellow stixers! There are so many things that just never come up in the other conversations...

Stats

Name or nickname: I am quite happy to be rainna here, but in case someone is interested, my actual real-life name is Riikka (hmm, I don't think I have mentioned it here earlier!). I've never really had a nickname. Some people have tried to develope one, but I have never liked their suggestions so they haven't caught on.

Orientation: Heterosexual, I guess? No need to define people through their sexuality.

Relationship status: Lonely

Location: Mostly Lahti; Vantaa during weekends and holidays. They're both in Finland and Finland is in Northern Europe. EDIT for 2012-13: I'm in Cork, Ireland as an Erasmus student!

Languages: Finnish, English, Swedish, French, a little bit of Spanish.

Life

Occupation: Student (in order to become music techer for young children)

Hobbies: Music (singing, writing music, cello, piano, occasionally bass, kantele and ukulele), dancing (contemporary dance is my love), writing, reading, acting (whenever I get the chance), cooking and baking

Interests: Music (quite obviously icon_biggrin.gif), all sorts of arts, psychology, politics, history, languages, literature, philosophy, religion, people around me, environmental issues, ethics, human rights. It's very easy to get me interested about something!

Political Views: Left

Religious Views: I choose philosophy over religion. Humanist, idealist, trying to become an altruist.

Favorite Things

Foods: Vegetarian kitchen from all over the world. And chocolate, naturally.

Color: Green and orange are my personal favourites in clothing and interior, but I like all the colours.

Books: So many of them and always hunting for new favourites. I've recently read and liked Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman, A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon and A Very Long Engagement (in Finnish) by Sébastien Japrisot.

TV: House, Pushing Daisies, whatever HBO gives me. Especially In Treatment.

Movies: I don't go to movies much. Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Tim Burton are my favourite directors, and I love traditionally animated Disney films. King's Speech was great.

Music: Regina, Amanda Palmer, Joanna Newsom, Sufjan Stevens, The Dresden Dolls, Kate Bush, Coldplay, Ultra Bra, Bat for Lashes, Scandinavian Music Group, Ingrid Michaelson, The Smiths, Laura Marling, Värttinä, Florence + The Machine, Samuli Putro, Lisa Hannigan, Agnes Obel, Patrick Wolf, She & Him, Mumford & Sons, Dario Marianelli... and so on. icon_biggrin.gif Sibelius, Bach and Dvorak as well.

Misc

Origin or meaning of your Username: My email address for anonymous internet stuff in G-Mail is rainna17, so I took it from there. I'm not sure where that one came from. But I do like rain. icon_smile.gif

First time you heard Regina: I can't remember the year, but it was during a winter break from my younger sister's iPod. The song was Samson (2003 version). A friend of my sister had sent the song for her but she hadn't paid much attention to it. I did. I think I playd the song from her iPod approximately twenty times that night.

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs: Impossible! My favourite songs change all the time. Right now I like Human of the Year, Belt, Hero, You and The Mustard Musketeers.

Random fact about yourself: I have scoliosis - my right shoulder is higher than the left. I see and feel the difference way too well, but other people very seldom notice until I point it out to them.

Who/What inspires you: Just living in this wonderful and horrible wolrd. Nature, people, thoughts, events, feelings, art, love. All the people who care, people who want to make this world a happier place to be. Conversations. Goodness in life.

Best thing about last year: Last year was probably my most eventful so far, so there were loads of them. Daring to write and perform my own songs, doing well in my matriculation exams, spending time with the people I love, getting in to the school I wanted to get in. A lot of goodness but also sadness.

Looking forward to this year: Going to Paris, hopefully doing something nice in the summer, having my first music lessons as a teacher (that's something I'm also terrified of doing!).

Riikka, hmm... I'm not sure how to pronounce that, but it looks like a beautiful name!

quote:
Originally posted by rainna:

Who/What inspires you: Just living in this wonderful and horrible wolrd. Nature, people, thoughts, events, feelings, art, love. All the people who care, people who want to make this world a happier place to be. Conversations. Goodness in life.

wow, that's so profound and poetic (your first sentence).

My older sister has scoliosis and maybe carpal tunnel, or maybe her arms just get sore from carrying the baby. She's a medical student, so she thinks she has all kinds of things. ;P

I looked up Värttinä and I really like "

" them. I don't understand a word, but it sounds great. I liked "
" by Samuli Putro too. I'm liking Finnish folk.

I hope you have fun in Paris and I wish you well in all your endeavors. =) I'm sure you'll be a wonderful teacher. You're an inspiration to us all. :P

Stats

Name or nickname: Marielle!

Orientation: Straight

Relationship status: not single

Languages: English, some Russian, some Spanish, some ASL

Life

Hobbies: making art, baking desserts, going to shows, traveling, reading books, watching movies, taking pictures

Interests: anything involving animals, biology and science in general and cryptozoology

Political Views: pretty much whatever I feel is right

Religious Views: everything? I believe in everything

Favorite Things

Foods: pizza, avocado, baklava

Color: pink, green and purple

Books: His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman are my favoritest books of all time!

TV: Futurama, Eureka, Pushing Daisies

Movies: The Princess Bride!

Music: Reg of course...along with my friends' bands

Misc

Origin or meaning of your Username: It's my email from like...10 years ago? It just kind of stuck

First time you heard Regina: 2007...I heard Ghost of Corporate Future and fell in love

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs: Apres Moi, Rockland County, Love, You're a Whore, Baby Jesus, Pavlov's Daughter, etc........

Random fact about yourself: I have a tattoo of an octopus!

Who/What inspires you: regina, all my other favorite musicians, my friends, animals

Best thing about last year: saw regina twice (kind of), hung out with some of my music idols!

Looking forward to this year: going to Chicago in May and California in June!!!!!