Sign in to follow this  
eshbach

Signed Stuff

Posting the pictures of my recently Nicole-signed jacket, and the discussion in the good news thread about what other signatures I should seek out, made me think about making a thread for showing off sharing signed stuff you've collected during your time on this little planet, so that we can collectively "oooh" and "ahhh" and be jealous of each other, but in a nice friendly way; the way we are already.

So I thought I'd get things started by taking a snapshot of the things Ms. Jenny Owen Youngs has written on for me. This isn't quite everything, as there are some posters and obviously the jacket, but this is most of it...

signed_stuff_640.jpg

(Click to Enlarge)

If the thread gets rolling I'll post more goodies, but let's see some of your eye-catchers first, fair enough?

Posting the pictures of my recently Nicole-signed jacket, and the discussion in the good news thread about what other signatures I should seek out, made me think about making a thread for showing off sharing signed stuff you've collected during your time on this little planet, so that we can collectively "oooh" and "ahhh" and be jealous of each other, but in a nice friendly way; the way we are already.

So I thought I'd get things started by taking a snapshot of the things Ms. Jenny Owen Youngs has written on for me. This isn't quite everything, as there are some posters and obviously the jacket, but this is most of it...

signed_stuff_640.jpg

(Click to Enlarge)

If the thread gets rolling I'll post more goodies, but let's see some of your eye-catchers first, fair enough?

5712721111_0c5d0b07df_z.jpg

Okay.. my collection is really small but I do have a story so I'll post it anyway.

Kate Miller-Heidke opened for Ben Folds in Paradiso (Amsterdam) this year on March 7th. I actually only found out about the gig a few days in advance, and I thought I couldn't make it anymore.. Fortunately my mum knew how badly I wanted to go there, and she happily went there with me (Smiler). Kate was great! The place wasn't so crowdy yet so I could stand at the very front. After her awesome performance I got to the merchandise table as fast as possible because I knew Kate would be selling and signing Curiouser (which I already own). I had taken my Little Eve cd with me because I thought it'd be more special for her to see an old cd of hers. Anyway, there was a woman in front of me in the 'signing queue', she had gotten the setlist. When she gave Kate the setlist to sign, she asked me what my name was and said she wanted me to get it because she had seen how much I'd been enjoying it.. I was super surprised Big Grin Then it was my turn to get the Little Eve cd signed. She immediately asked where I got it (good choice to take that album with me), so then I explained and told Kate that I basically went to the gig to see her. She was a bit surprised and smiled. She's a really kind person. I can't really remember what else I said to her (except for 'you were amazing..' blabla all the usual stuff).. but at some point I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I said goodbye to her and talked to the woman who had given me the setlist. She was really kind (obviously). So yeah that was a great night :]

The red cd is 'Avondjurk', a Dutch cd by the band (but they're also comedians) Jurk, I also got that signed at a show. The other records on the picture (Alex Winston - Choice Notes and Gold Motel - Summer House) just came signed when I bought them, so there's no real story behind that. I think getting cds signed is much more about meeting the artist you love than about getting an autograph, so buying signed cds doesn't really feel special..

quote:
Originally posted by Emmerrrrrrr:

I think getting cds signed is much more about meeting the artist you love than about getting an autograph, so buying signed cds doesn't really feel special..

I couldn't agree with you more. After about a dozen Regina shows I just stopped trying to scrounge up something cool enough for her to sign "this time". Just saying 'Hi' and maybe talking for a minute/getting a hug are a lot more important to me than getting their names written down (although it was really killing me that I didn't have Nicole on the Jacket until Saturday Big Grin

All that said, here is more of my collection with appropriate justification. This next album is by a band that, if people know me, know about. I advocate their excellence everywhere. Well, back in 2006, when the Fidelity video was getting popular, I emailed one of the guys in the band and was like "You should seriously try to do an album with this girl. I know you only do instrumentals at this point, but with the right singer (someone who can roll with the punches) I think it would work out extremely well.

Well, a few weeks later the Fidelity video made an appearance on the band's blog, and they went on and on about her. Then came talk of doing some songs (maybe not an entire album, but at least most of one) with a vocalist. Eventually it was revealed to me through e-mail that the vocalist would not be Regina, but rather Wendy Lewis, but to rest assured, Wendy was a great fit with the band the songs were coming along brilliantly. Fast forward a few months, I've just seen one of the best shows I've ever witnessed at the Bowery Ballroom Record Release Party for The Bad Plus's "For All I Care..."

I bought a couple copies of the album; one an excellent 180g vinyl pressing, and set off to the bar area, looking to get my Double-LP autographed. And yes, while Regina would have been amazing in this role, Wendy really came through... Feel free to check out the

, and of course some live stuff:

New Year's Day (although there's a long drum solo at the beginning so if that's not your thing, you might want to skip ahead),

, and of course, Nirvana's
(Somethings for everyone I hope...)

But without further flogging their music, here's the "Signed by all 4 of them" record:

for_all_i_care_small.jpg

(Click to Enlarge)

And finally (for today), some random things that were sitting around: A tiny thank-you note from Chelsea Lynn La Bate, my only signed Regina CD (Songs), a never-before published CD-Wrapper written on by Jack Dishel (I don't think it gives anything away so no worries), a signed copy of Nicole's new record "Mondo Amore" that probably everyone on here has too, a signed picture of Regina and I in 2006 (I almost want to post a picture to show how much my appearance has improved in the last 5 years... to sum it up, my hair is now short, and I have some bang-type things that just barely touch my eye-brows; I no longer where multiple shades of the same colored shirts (and in fact do not wear white under-shirts unless no other color of under-shirt is appropriate, I do not own a leather jacket, and instead of Levi's 569's (or whatever I was wearing that day) I'm currently wearing a pair of Pure Blue Japan XX-005 Raw. Just so we're clear on that before I post the the picture...

random_signed_small.jpg

(Click to Enlarge)

Another day, another something signed by Jenny... this was always my favorite poster of hers...

poster_small.jpg

(Click to Enlarge)

...and although I no longer own this one (I gave it away in the giant Regina give-away last year) I think it still deserves an entry in this thread...

regina_autograph_small.jpg

(Click to Enlarge)

EDIT: Bruce, I'm sure you've got quite a stash go to through, with an 11:11 in there somewhere... Big Grin

Very nice stuff--besides this, these are a couple of my favorites:

3a.jpg

That's Juliana Hatfield on top, who was kind enough to sign my worn out copy of Grace many years ago, and I got Jenny's at the Axis in Boston in 2006 (opening for Regina).

^ohhhh the Axis. If only...

Here's most of my stash. Mostly Jenny, Nicole, and Ingrid Michaelson. The two CDs at the bottom were pre-autographed (totally cheating IMHO!) by Nicole and KT Tunstall.

5728159604_5be7d2ae5a_z.jpg

5728160660_2b7dfbca78_z.jpg

^Close up of my hand-painted tote!

5728161136_926c8f14cc_b.jpg

^close up of of the CDS. Notice how Nicole spelled my name wrong, haha.

I only want an autograph from one person and he's dead. ;`( I weep for you yet, Vincent van Gogh!!

I would like a certain something from a certain someone - a single strand of hair. Would that be too weird? I had a really cute friend named Arthur who had rather long girlish hair, and one time, during German class, I jokingly asked him for one of his hairs, and he complied for whatever reason. Then, I asked my token black friend (he was my only black friend and one of the few black people in a rich white boy high school in one of the blackest areas of Milwaukee... something is wrong here), Noah Charles (although, his mom was white, a psychologist actually, so he'd be half-black), for one of his curly hairs, and that was understandable. Do you think Regina would, you know, honor my request if I asked her for a single strand of one of her noodly red hairs? What if I said it was a key ingredient to make a special kind of soup? Well, guys?