Sign in to follow this  
dentistgirl

DylanFest 2011

Sooo, I went to DyalanFest at the Bowery Ballrooom last night because Jack told me about it last week. Obviously, I couldn't pass up seeing Jack and Nicole. So I packed up my friend and dragged her down to the Bowery Ballroom excitedly rambling on about Jack and Nicole and Norah Jones (who i'd never seen before)and despite being like 30min after doors we easily glided right into the front row. Oddly enough, the thought that regina might sing at it truly never even crossed my mind. So, as much as I was not shocked to see her smiling from in the stage doorway while Nicole was singing only then did I lean to my friend and, probably sounding much like someone who is high on crack, say "oh my gosh, I really think she's going to come out here!!!" I was shaking like a maniac. I hadn't felt like this for a long time, I'd almost forgotten just how awesome it is. As I suspected, Jack took the stage with his "special guest" and together they sang Mr. Tambourine Man. I was smiling like an idiot full of sheer amazement that this was really happening the entire time. When the song had finished and regina had sufficiently applauded the other band members, she retreated to the doorway where she stood drinking beer and enthusiastically bouncing and swaying to the next four or five songs with a giant smile on her face. I had a perfect view of her, and though I was massively distracted from whoever was standing 2 feet in front of me singing, it made me soo happy. After a while, she disappeared and I really did get into the whole Dylanfest proper. Such great energy and so many songs!

It was insane how many awesome people played and sang Binki Shapiro, Sondre Lerch, Adam Green, and the dude from Robbers on High Street were other highlights for sure. Regina did reappear in the doorway to enjoy more songs and warmly congratulate each musician as they came off the stage. Almost. unbearably. cute. As the show drew to a close, everyone was invited back to the stage for some song I didn't really know and evidently neither did regina because, looking terrified about it, she had to be pried out of the doorway to come down and join everyone and then she hid in the back. lol. And just when you thought it was over, no no. It got better. People shuffled positions leaving regina right in front of a microphone!!! And surveying the crowd, she very deliberately looked over at me with a huge smile and waved. <3. The song that followed was "I Shall Be Released" with Nicole then Regina then Norah taking the verses. Amazing. Seriously the video is just mega cuteness and you might actually die if you watch it because it is so good.

And as an aside- holy crap, Norah Jones is tiny. Regina is definitely taller than her. Wow. And at one point during the song regina was sort of measuring herself next to norah. Hilarious.

As we floated out into the street, I was chattering away like a crazy person. My friend sort of just stopped dead, looked at me and said, slighly in awe, "Jamie, you looked really happy in there." That, friends, pretty much sums it up.

Videos:

Nicole Atkins- Romance In Durango

Jack & Regina - Mr. Tambourine Man

Nicole Atkins- This Wheel's on Fire

Finale- I Shall Be Released

Oh my baby jesus! This is so full of all kinds of awesome.

hah, Jack and Regina Dishel covered the more popular Byrds version of "Mr. Tambourine Man" with that sweet riff. I prefer the Byrds' jangly folk arrangement - it's like they own that song. I love the rambling rawness of the original too.

And Norah and Regina.. sharing the same stage, arms around each other... look at that passionate hug at 2:39... awwww!

Thank you so much Jamie for being there and sharing the performance!

So I went to Dylan Fest tonight, and I have to say it was hands down one the best shows I've been too. I've been to the Bowery Ballroom a couple of times, so the bouncers started to get to know me a bit. I brought a group of friends from school, half of which had no tickets. That wasn't a problem because the bouncer saw me and let all of my friends in for free! The show was absolutely amazing...it was a treat each time to see who was going to come out next. I got right up front row left of the stage and also had a perfect view of all the people standing in the doorway during the show. Sure enough, Regina was there dancing and smiling the whole time. Will Forte(Mcgrewber!), Sondre Lerche, Justin Long, Spiderman....wasnt expecting any of those. Each artist had something new and great to bring to the table. Hours of fun, dancing, and smiling ear to ear. When Regina came out for her Mr. Tambourine man, she forgot a section of the lyrics in her solo, she looked pretty mortified by it. At the end of it she said, "Sorry Bob, I fucked it up". At the very end all the performers came out on stage like the end of an SNL show, but with the best people ever. They pushed Regina out front tonight too as she sang with Nora. It was just great.

Afterward, we lingered outside seeing who we could meet, the bouncers tried to help us out even though they had no idea who these musicians were or what they looked like. Sure enough everybody came out the front door. I got a picture with Sondre Lerche, Norah, and Justin Long. Unfortunately, our placement outside made it impossible to get a chance to talk to Regina after...I didn't want to bum rush her while she was out there hailing a cab, but it was great regardless of that fact. The bouncer came up to me at the end and said I could do whatever I wanted there and I was like family and gave everyone hugs. He also gave us the set list (I'll post pics tomorrow). I came in uniform once, but I really still cant understand how this came about and I have these connections now, but if you guys are ever going to the Bowery Ballroom for a show let me know lol.

I'll be back next year, thats for sure.

Jamie, you should have hooked up with Marie and all her awesomeness! Glad everyone had such a great time.

Now who wants to come over to my house and mix some concrete so maybe I can go next year??? Wink

Now it's my turn to say Oh, My God. Who did the McGuinn twelve string? Oh, that was so wonderful. Yes, it is Dylan's song (Roger used to remind us of this before they would play it, but we sort of knew that) but it is a song that is and will always be a Byrds song. For Regina, whose music I cannot live without, to sing this, as much an obsession when I was younger (then than yesterday) was incredible.

And Jack does Dylan well.