Sign in to follow this  
bum bum bum

Boardwalk Empire Song - My Man!

Definitely did not mean for it to be a competition. I suppose what I was saying is that if you listen to the original, Regina's is both faithful to it and slightly modernized.

Barbra's was pop of the time (mid 1960s). Her voice is, of course, magnificent, but the recording was much less about either the song or Fanny Brice, but Barbra Streisand. That was what Funny Girl was, of course.

Yeh, Billie Holiday's is in a class by itself. Regina's original homage to that version of the song is her "My Man."

Regina's brings Fanny Brice alive, which, I imagine, was the point of the arrangement.

I am against these kind of competitions and regret making it sound that way (the word "winner" had a lot to do with that, I suppose).

Regina is is fine company here and held her own. When Rondstadt did two records of standards, it became clear how special she was in her ability to traverse both worlds, and it seems certain to me that Regina could do that, too (as, of course Norah Jones can as well).

That's all.

quote:
Originally posted by Stepped On A Syringe:

quote:
Originally posted by Barth:

quote:

and the winner? Our Regina. Hands down.

love regina with all my heart, but she by no means is the winner of this competition. this is one of the most timeless songs in music history, IMO... billy holiday sings it with such pain and longing, even I (an 18 year old male) can feel connected to the subject matter.

Barbra made it an iconic broadway hit and brought the song to the attention of many.

Regina's version is a classy homage to the song, but no winner. !

quote:
Originally posted by Stepped On A Syringe:

I really forgot how much I love regina's own "My Man."

I used to sing this in the shower, which was kind of awkward... I hope no one heard me :P

I prefer her version of My Man Smiler

Love it how she, in her own words, stuck a Billy Holiday song onto the end of it Big Grin

I have as much respect for the Grammys as I have for Rick Santorum. Don't hold your breath.

quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Minsky:

Just read this article about The Boardwalk Empire Album is up for a Grammy. The article doesn't talk much about Regina, but it does mention that she's on it with 'My Man' and there's a pretty little picture of her in the article too. Smiler So kind a cool.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t...W3IBvYlP1x2w&cad=rja