Sign in to follow this  
bum bum bum

Boardwalk Empire Song - My Man!

quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Minsky:

Just read this article about The Boardwalk Empire Album is up for a Grammy. The article doesn't talk much about Regina, but it does mention that she's on it with 'My Man' and there's a pretty little picture of her in the article too. Smiler So kind a cool.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t...W3IBvYlP1x2w&cad=rja

so.. it won

Ok so this is kind of ancient history and I might be the only one who thinks this is interesting but…

I was just thinking about the Grammy’s (I don’t usually watch since I think they are stupid and meaningless but I wanted to see if maybe they might mention something about Regina or My Man being on the Boardwalk Empire soundtrack)

Anyway, I saw Bon Iver’s acceptance speech for Best New Artist and I just liked how he said something like “there’s so much talent here tonight and not here” and “I want to say thank you to all the nominees, and all the non-nominess…that have never been here and never will be here”.

It made me think of Regina and many others who have never won a grammy. I just thought it was nice that someone finally recognized that.

http://www.atlanticcityweekly....-hbo--139315128.html :

quote:
For some, however, the CBS broadcast and the Los Angeles ceremony itself took a backseat to a phone call or, in the case of music man Vince Giordano, a text message.

Vince Giordano and his band the Nighthawks took home a Grammy (Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media) for their classy work on the Boardwalk Empire: Vol. 1, Music from the HBO Original Series soundtrack album, which also includes performances by Regina Spektor, Catherine Russell, Leon Redbone, Stephen DeRosa and Kathy Brier.

Regina noted the Grammy on Facebook a couple of days later:

quote:
Regina Spektor

Wow! my dad just sent me this-

http://www.atlanticcityweekly....-hbo--139315128.html

Big congratulations to Vince Giordano and The Nighthawks! I had the pleasure of recording "My Man" for Boardwalk Empire with them- they are incredible musicians and super nice people!yay!

Well, a few years ago, the Grammy for best album went to Herbie Hancock's great covers of Joni Mitchell songs, http://www.amazon.com/River-Le...d=1329678579&sr=8-1, and yes, there was a little bit more of a nod to indie music this year, so I can no longer say the Grammys are completely worthless.

Almost completely worthless, but when they recognize Regina, Jenny Owen Youngs, Aimeee Mann, Ben Folds....oh, c'mon, this list could go on forever....but when they do, I will pay them attention.

Glad for this one, though. Well deserved. I hope they have Regina back next season.

quote:
Originally posted by porcupine-ologist:

Ok so this is kind of ancient history and I might be the only one who thinks this is interesting but…

I was just thinking about the Grammy’s (I don’t usually watch since I think they are stupid and meaningless but I wanted to see if maybe they might mention something about Regina or My Man being on the Boardwalk Empire soundtrack)

Anyway, I saw Bon Iver’s acceptance speech for Best New Artist and I just liked how he said something like “there’s so much talent here tonight and not here” and “I want to say thank you to all the nominees, and all the non-nominess…that have never been here and never will be here”.

It made me think of Regina and many others who have never won a grammy. I just thought it was nice that someone finally recognized that.

When he said what he did, I couldn't even believe he said it. His speech was the best thing of the night in my opinion. And I am a Beatle nut and would have normally picked all the McCartney stuff as the best. (And what he did was great)

But Bon Iver's speech was RIGHT ON. He speaks for US. What he said was perfect. He acknowledged the niceness of the award while at the same time nailed the Grammy's just as they are, an award show that DOES NOT include "The best that music has to offer". I wanted to throw up every time I heard that statement. What he said was so so great. I'm so glad you brought it up. You could see the frustration in his face when he said it. He was graceful about winning but was so loyal to Regina and others who should have been on that show soo long ago. It was awesome what he said. He didn't say names, but you know he means people like our Regina

P.S. - I really liked that beginning Bruno Mars song. Holy Cow that was good. Smiler

I just found this clip on the net and it says so much about the "music industry". Put aside the fact that Alicia Keys cannot mourn Etta James without a mention of Whitney Houston, the subject of a thousand tributes that night. Listen instead to her voice against the much older Bonnie Raitt's.

http://www.metatube.com/en/vid...itt-and-Alicia-Keys/

A music industry that cannot tell the difference between these two, will never understand why Regina's music is so actually important (not to mention Bonnie's and so many others who don't make VH-1 lists or anything else.)

^^Alicia Keys is a very talented vocalist.. That performance doesn't do her talent justice. I think she's pretty incredible, personally Smiler

But I agree with your point. She's no Etta James.. They're more comparable in style than Regina and Etta (along with so many legends), but frankly the comparison just doesn't stand. Regina has a much more experimental style. It's hard to know how she'd stack up if she gave that classic style her full attention. I don't think she'd hold a candle to Etta James. But they're very different artists, different styles, different strengths, weaknesses, and concerns. Smiler

Long story short, I don't think anyone on the current music scene compares vocally to the greats, although many, like Regina, deserve equal praise. Not for mastering the old styles, but for ingenuity, originality, and conviction in their artistry.