Sign in to follow this  
Appt

Thenewno2 feat. Regina Spektor - "Live a Lie"

I think this deserves it's own thread, so why not discuss it here.

from another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Minsky:

To me our biggest fusses with Regina should be about her music. I'll listen to any rumor about her and music. That's what drew us here in the first place. For instance, that new one with her and Dhani Harrison, "Live a Lie". What happened there? Seems like such a blip in our comments. Such a cool song and with the son of a Beatle! Now that deserves a thread. And that she did it can be verified. Smiler

I think the dulling of the conversation around here is because of people on here going to school or college or being busy, which I think is perfectly understandable.

As for Dhani Harrison's new music.. Gee, I was a fan of some of his other work. I liked Julian Lennon's music career. 'Saltwater' was pretty good. I haven't listened much to his music, though I definitely should.

Here's a great cover by Julian Lennon of 'Stand By Me' where he sounds so much like his father:

I haven't heard much of any music by Sean Lennon, although I have heard about his girlfriend, Kemp Muhl, whose a nude model. He's got a good cover of 'Julia' on youtube.

McCartney's kids aren't that musically noteworthy or musical at all. Ringo's son, Zak Starkey, was drummer for Oasis and other bands, not really a prominent role in music fame.

So that leaves us with Sean Lennon, Julian Lennon, and Dhani Harrison.

I was sort of rooting for Dhani. Seems like a nice kid. He think he put on a brave face during the Concert for George Harrison after his dad's death.

Now, Dhani has a really good voice, but his music doesn't move me like The Beatles or Arcade Fire or Animal Collective or Regina move me. At least, the last album released is lacking something.

The songwriting isn't spectacular and the music cheapens itself with the hip-hop influences and collaborations with rappers. I hate to say this, but the EP002 album sounds generic to me. I'm not a fastidious music critic. I like most things I hear (then again I mostly only listen to stuff that's been acclaimed within indie circles).

The song 'Live a Lie' is okay. Someone please double-check the lyrics I transcribed:

http://lyrics.wikia.com/Thenewno2:Live_A_Lie

I'm not sure what the second line is that Regina is saying, "So long ??? in control"... I don't think Regina's voice really adds much to the song.

I was going to transcribe the song 'Mr. President' but I got so annoyed by the rap breakaway. I think the EP is came out late and is not really relevant.

and I say this as someone who loves The Beatles, their many wives, their kids, their music, their lyrics, their personas, their hair styles, their fashion sense, their beards, etc...

quote:
Originally posted by lennonist:

Now, Dhani has a really good voice, but his music doesn't move me like The Beatles or Arcade Fire or Animal Collective or Regina move me. At least, the last album released is lacking something.

The song 'Live a Lie' is okay.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I first heard it. Being the son of a Beatle doesn't automatically make you a musical genius. Seriously. It's just ok.

Found this little paragraph in an article about the Album the song is on:

“Live a Lie” features Regina Spektor and weaves a story of how lies can only cause destruction. With poetic lyrics and soft guitar strumming, this song lulls the senses, but begins to crescendo until the end. Harrison’s unique voice, reminiscent of his father’s, is the spotlight of the song. Coupled with Spektor, they make a beautiful piece. This song is the jewel of the entire EP.

'The jewel of the entire EP' of course it is. Smiler