kaoir

Loveology

OH MY GOD !

Regina is a GENIUS !

Ok.. I just woke up and I'm very excited.

Indeed, this night.. I had a revelation. Big Grin

Let me explain.

My sister studies medicine and yesterday she told me that empathy is taught.

That conversation totally reminds me of "Loveology". (empathyology ? Is it possible ?)

I couldn't stop thinking about the sentence : "Sit down class, open up your textbooks to page 42."

I didn't know why but this morning.. I had the revelation :

"The number 42 is, in the novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", and is calculated by an enormous supercomputer over a period of 7.5 million years to be 42. Unfortunately no one knows what the question is. Thus, to calculate the Ultimate Question, a special computer the size of a small planet and using organic components was created and named "Earth"."

I hope it's not a coincidence because in my opinion, this makes a lot of sense.

A genius. She is a genius.

(ok.. I go back to bed)

OH MY GOD !

Regina is a GENIUS !

Ok.. I just woke up and I'm very excited.

Indeed, this night.. I had a revelation. Big Grin

Let me explain.

My sister studies medicine and yesterday she told me that empathy is taught.

That conversation totally reminds me of "Loveology". (empathyology ? Is it possible ?)

I couldn't stop thinking about the sentence : "Sit down class, open up your textbooks to page 42."

I didn't know why but this morning.. I had the revelation :

"The number 42 is, in the novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", and is calculated by an enormous supercomputer over a period of 7.5 million years to be 42. Unfortunately no one knows what the question is. Thus, to calculate the Ultimate Question, a special computer the size of a small planet and using organic components was created and named "Earth"."

I hope it's not a coincidence because in my opinion, this makes a lot of sense.

A genius. She is a genius.

(ok.. I go back to bed)

I had a new revelation this night ! Big Grin

When you open your textbook to page 42, you study Loveology and you get the answer to the ultimate unknown question of the Universe.

So :

"love is the answer to a question that I have forgotten

and I know I've been asked

and the answer's got to be love"

(From Reading Time with Pickle)

^^haha! A friend of mine loooooooves Hitchhiker's Guide, and gets excited whenever she sees or hears "42" or sees a 4 and a 2 together lol

So she mentioned that connection before. Once i was singing Loveology to her while (attempting to) playing the piano, and she laughed as though i'd made up the line for her benefit.

It's interesting, the connection you draw between the idea of quanifying earth down to a numerical figure, and love as something that can be taught in a textbook!

I love this song personally, though not as much as many people on this forum Smiler But the lyrics have always been intriguing to me. It's one of the few Regina songs that i think were written for someone, from her, or at least from a character's POV for someone real.

I'm excited to hear any more thoughts about the nature/meaning/possible significance of this song! If you have any more ideas about it, please share!

Interesting Smiler

When I heard that "open up your textbooks to page 42" I think I thought, is that a Hitchhiker's reference? (I haven't actually read it though, I've seen some of the movie. xD)

And y'know those lines afterwards? "Porcupine-ology, antler-ology, car-ology, bus-ology, train-ology, plane-ology, mama-ology, papa-ology,you-ology, me-ology, love-ology, kiss-ology, stay-ology, please-ology. Let's study class, let's study class. Sit down."

So is that what's being taught (from the textbook)? Maybe then the answer isn't just love, it's everything? Hah, I don't know.

I like those lines in Reading Time with Pickle too (I think it's my signature actually).

We still don't know what the question is Wink

Speaking of porcupine-ology, antler-ology, car-ology etc. I read this on Songmeanings:

"Porcupine-ology...I forgot what other songs that is mentioned in, but I think that is her innocent way of saying 'sex' :P "

Ha, that makes sense!

And doesn't antler-ology sound like anthropology?

Which, according to Wikipedia means "Anthropology is the study of humanity. It has origins in the humanities, the natural sciences, and the social sciences.

Anthropology's basic concerns are 'What defines human life and origins?' 'How are social relations among humans organized?'"

I also always thought 'car-ology and bus-ology' was 'girl-ology, boy-ology'. Lol.

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

A friend of mine loooooooves Hitchhiker's Guide

Your friend is cool ! Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Kateateyou:

So is that what's being taught (from the textbook)? Maybe then the answer isn't just love, it's everything?

Yeah. That's cool !

quote:
Originally posted by Kateateyou:

"Porcupine-ology...I forgot what other songs that is mentioned in, but I think that is her innocent way of saying 'sex' :P "

Ha, that makes sense!

O_o' .. This is a way to see things. Haha.

Ok. I will try to explain my ideas about this song. I say "try" because that song is very VERY special for me.

First, when I hear this song I don't see a conversation between two persons but something which happens in my head. Don't worry, I'm not crazy. Smiler

You know, when you are alone (or not) it's possible to have thoughts. This is what happens when I listen to that song.

So :

Oh, an incurable humanist you are. (x4)

I repeat myself that I am an incurable humanist (In this song, I see humanists like people who believe in true feelings).

So, at that moment, I believe that it's not a good thing to be a humanist because it hurts. The word "Incurable" (like a disease) reinforce this idea.

Let's go to the movies, I will hum you a song about nothing at all (x2)

Let's go to the movies, Let's go to the movies, Nothing at all, Nothing at all, Nothing at all, Nothing at all.

I try to convince myself that true feelings don't exist, that feel emotions is just a mechanical action.

Indeed, I always thought that making films is strange because in movies, sentiments are re-created.

Ok.. Imagine that you are someone who have to build a car, why can you build this car without knowing how it works ? It's the same problem with movies which deal with emotions. The fact that people are able to make movies about it means that they can understand mechanisms..

An other thing very interesting about movies is the impact they can have on inexperimented persons. This is really strange because even if you don't know what it is anger or.. love, you can feel this emotion when you see the movie..

BUT.. When you see movies, finally they are about nothing at all. So, even if you see movies about love for example, even if you can feel this love, this is not true, it doesn't count. Real love is bigger than love in movies. (Didn't even know that love was bigger ? ^^)

Oh, An incurable humanist you are. (x2)

I'm still an incurable humanist. I don't believe that we can explain emotions.

Let's go to the movies, I will hum you a song about nothing at all Let's go to the movies, I will sing you a song about nothing at all

Let's go to the movies, Let's go to the movies, Nothing at all, Nothing at all, Nothing at all, Nothing at all.

Sit down class, open up your textbooks to page 42.

I insist and try to find other arguments which show that feelings are not inexplicables.

The Hitchhiker's reference is really a good idea because like said Be like the water, people. (cool name ^^), this make a : "connection between the idea of quanifying earth down to a numerical figure, and love as something that can be taught in a textbook."

This amplify the idea that we can explain the mechanism of love for example.

Regarding the fact that feelings could be taught in a textbook, my sister told me that scientists can explain the neural mechanism of love.

This scared me a lot.. And I don't want to learn something about it.

Then, this is my favourite part of the song !

Because I'm going mad Big Grin

Porcupine-ology, antler-ology, car-ology, bus-ology, train-ology, plane-ology, mama-ology, papa-ology,you-ology, me-ology, love-ology, kiss-ology, stay-ology, please-ology.

Let's study class, let's study class. Sit down.

Love-ology, love-ology, I'm sorry-ology, forgive me-ology, love-ology, love-ology, I'm sorry-ology, forgive me-ology, love-ology, Love-ology.

Let's study class, let's study class. Love-ology. Let's study class, sit down.

Love-ology, love-ology, I'm sorry-ology, forgive me-ology, love-ology, love-ology. I'm sorry-ology, forgive me-ology, love-ology, Love-ology.

In this part, the music and the Regina's voice are really important. So it's difficult to explain my feelings..

I can say that there is a part of me who try to convince the other (the hummanist) that true feelings don't exist. But the hummanist part of me don't want to listen. So, the other insists and tell me to "sit down" and "study". I know, it's weird.

Then , this is the end of my thought.

Love-ology (x6)

Oh, an incurable humanist you are (x3)

Oh, forgive me, Oh, forgive me, Oh. Forgive me, forgive me, forgive me-ology (x6)

Regina repeat forgive me-ology at the end. It sounds like a regret. In my opinion, it means that it would be easier to understand feelings. But we are incurable humanists, so feelings can't be explained.

I'm sorry if I am not clear.. In my mind it's clear but it's hard to explain it in english ^^.

Futhermore, I think that there are several ways to understand this song. This is my favourite way to interpret it because it's the most "intense" for me Smiler

^^I absolutely love that interpretation, kaoir! Especially the "forgive me" part, and that it doesn't have to be directed toward any one person, that's so fascinating!

I really like this a lot, and i wish i could explain better why that is lol Suffice to say, i love interpretations that make everything fit, if not literally, then at least the sentiment, and i think that your take on it really characterizes the emotion and tragedy + hope we find in the song. Not to mention, it's a very Regina-y sentiment you've expressed. I could see this thought running as a theme throughout much of her work and conversation on the subject. Mainly because it shows an inner conflict that is universal for most people, or one that would arise in protest to the idea of quantifying love, that there is mystery to humanity. You're right! You're right you're right. I don't mean to say it's the only/factual interpretation, or that it's what regina meant when she wrote it or even that it's what she thinks or feels about life itself. More that it's definitely a great step in the right direction in expressing this aspect of the song.

Not to be repeatative, but the idea that the class is both the narator calling out to her unruly self, and the self still rejecting the ruling, but it's still there, and she's sorry, but it doesn't, in the end, resolve anything.. that's just so cool lol

sorry, it's friday afternoon, and i still haven't shed college brain.. analytical briana's in the house, and apologizes for this long, overly-enthusiastic post. Smiler

EDIT: I just noticed the similarity in kaoir's interpretation to that of The Calculation, then i realized that you've already pointed it out yourself haha It's interesting to note the very different vibes to the songs. The tragedy is more prevalent in Loveology (imo), while the Calculation seems to have decided that there isn't a tragedy, and is maybe the theme song of the unruly class from your interpretation. Rather than the hopeless, scientific perspective having the mic, the calculation looks at the idea of love from the humanist's view. Now the scientist is naieve, and misleading people, and there's no doubt to be found..

SmilerSmilerSmiler

Your enthusiasm is so contagious!

I'm really glad that you like my interpretation because Loveology is one of my favorite songs!

I hesitated a bit before posting my interpretation because I thought people would say that it was weird .. But you did not, so it's super cool !

The fact that you like the : "forgive me part, and that it doesn't have to be directed toward any one person" makes me VERY enthusiastic because these are the main reasons why this song is so special for me, as if I already knew it before I listen to it. (I read something about it in the "What we saw from the cheap seats" thread)

As you said, what is great about this song is the fact that it represents a conflict that is universal for many people. From there, the fact that you agree with some of my interpretations makes the song even more powerful! This explains why I'm so enthusiastic!

Of course, I agree with you that this interpretation is not the only valid ..

Well .. Sorry for the long / pointless post but I get out of hand when we speak about music. Especially when it comes to Regina. Smiler

PS: The differences that you established between Loveology and The Calculation are very interesting. You're right, they approach the problem differently. Anyway, I love to make connections between songs. It helps to understand more things about the artist.

My interpretation of this song is rather ridiculous, but I connected everything once day and it all made sense. In my mind, at least.

"Oh, what an incurable humanist you are."

This line (and the emotion in it towards the end) I think, shows a man who is incredibely consume within his work of humanism, and has a lover who is not so optimistic of his work, and wishes he would spend more time in the 'outside' world with her. The way Regina sings this line shows me the emotion of this.

Let's go to the movies and I'll hum you a song about nothing at all.

In this line, I think of the women trying to get her partner to go off and do something together (go to the movies), and try to have a good time of it.

"Nothing at all, nothing at all...", etc (she repeats it)

This is to me, the women saying of how the man continues to only work on his humanism works, without paying any heed to her.

"Sit down class, open up your textbooks to page 42....Love-ology, love-ology..."

This, I believe, is the words of the woman, much later on in life when she is no longer with the humanist man. She is teaching younger people of the importance of a loving relationship and etc, which is what she did not expericence in her previous relationship.

I'm sorry-ology, forgive me-ology, love-ology, love-ology. I'm sorry-ology, forgive me-ology

I think this line, then is the two people in the relationship apoligizing and having regret for giving up on their romance, in which they both made mistakes.

Of course, my theory is more just of a story and idea, because Regina obviously probably has a very different idea of this song, as do we all. And my thoughts are always changing with her songs. Being obsessed with everything she does/writes doesn't really help my changing thoughts. ^.^