Sign in to follow this  
Pianohero

Regina Spektor performances on American Idol- The Voice etc?

Where are they? Why has nobody on any of these singing competition shows sung a Regina Spektor song? Do they not know great music? Or perhaps some have done so, but no clips of those performances were uploaded to YouTube? Has anyone ever heard a Regina Spektor son on The Voice, American Idol, X Factor, etc? She is the best singer-songwriter that exists right now. My iPod only has her music, Muse, and classical (Tchaikovsky, Mozart etc).

Where are they? Why has nobody on any of these singing competition shows sung a Regina Spektor song? Do they not know great music? Or perhaps some have done so, but no clips of those performances were uploaded to YouTube? Has anyone ever heard a Regina Spektor son on The Voice, American Idol, X Factor, etc? She is the best singer-songwriter that exists right now. My iPod only has her music, Muse, and classical (Tchaikovsky, Mozart etc).

i've wondered the same thing from time to time.

There tends to be a formula for these shows. Because of this, everyone likes to know what's going on, and what's coming next, unless a part of the performance is unpredictability/the element of surprise.

That said, Regina's songs tend to be difficult to relate to (i don't have personal experience that makes me connect with the lyrics of Patron Saint, Blue Lips, or Oedipus). There are exceptions, like I Want to Sing, My Man, Fidelity, and maybe even Better, as well as others. But when you think, "how am i going to win over an audience?" the forst thought is not to cover a Regina song, i would imagine, because 1: no one else really covers her, and 2: if it's Regina versus, say, the beatles, queen, lady gaga, etc, then the success of that performance is riding entirely on the performer, as Regina does not have a stronger following than more obvious choices. That's a lot of pressure, and it's probably easier to just cover an artist whose work is instantly recognizable.

Like the lyrical content, Regina's songs on the whole tend to have melodies that go against the mainstream grain. Can you imagine someone performing Just Like the Movies on one of these shows? Not only is it little-known and lacking the beginning-middle-end/climactic structure these performances call for, it also has a melody that is intricate and unique.

In just about every way, Regina's music as a whole would require huge fan support in order to invite covers in such high-stakes competition, especially if it's televised. They can be hard to sing, hard to analyze, and hard to win a crowd with, since they're not well-known, or those who do know the songs tend not to be fangirl crazy about it (except us, of course!). You just don't assume high ratings with a regina spektor song in competition because it has yet to be done as proof that it's possible.

I hope someone does come onstage with Laughing With, Fidelity, or Samson at one of these shows and just blows it out of the water! It would be wonderful to see Regina's work being rehashed and shared on such a public stage. It would be a gutsy move, though.

Could also be a copywrite thing.

I don't really watch American Idol anymore, but I used to a lot, and I recall the judges chastising a contestant for singing an unreleased Gaga song because no one knew it/it was "unreleased for a reason" (which is bull, unreleased songs are often the best songs)/the audience couldn't connect and sing along. I don't think Regina's music really is what the judges look for. So basically, I agree with Briana. :P

Also, everything that show stands for is everything bad about the music business. (No offense to those who watch it, I still watched it avidly for years despite that). It's basically doing whatever you possibly can to sell records, molding your personality, looks, your music, everything to be marketable to a record label. Regina is so not that.

I agree with what has been said.

Another reason people may avoid her is because many of her songs, even more mainstream ones like Fidelity or Better, have those strange vocalizations that we love so well. They aren't easy songs to sing, and even if you are able to sing them, it is difficult to sing them well. There are a great many covers on youtube that attest to this.

I would love to see someone perform one of her songs, though. It annoys me a bit that Florence Welch, who is a relative newcomer, has performed on the X Factor US/UK and on the German Voice. I would LOVE to see some Regina on the Voice.

I agree with what's already been said and also it's always a bad idea on these shows to try and sing a song from a great singer like Regina because it will never sound as good as the original. I've never seen anyone on these shows even come close to what Regina can do with her voice. Trying to would be very ambitious and too risky.

so it just so happens to be, that back when i was a little one - and this is probably one of the only idol performances i can remember (weird huh?) a top 20 or whatever contestant on Australian Idol sang Fidelity. I just have this really clear, weird memory cause the song must of had an impact on me back then! i'm going to try and find it! haha.

i actually don't have time/prefer not to watch those shows anymore...! i just personally don't like programs like "x factor, etc" - but maybe it's just cause the "aussie" versions are pretty dodgy.... Smiler