Sign in to follow this  
sweetness in my lungs

sweetness's music

Hi lovely people! =)

So the day has come. Three songs are now uploaded to my soundcloud account. Drip Drop, vs. (previously decision time etc) and snowflakes. I would be so happy if you wanted to take a listen =) I've worked with these songs for soooo long and there's no getting completely happy with them just because I'm such a complete control freak. But... Here they are and it's my work and I'm proud it turned out this good Smiler

http://soundcloud.com/emandhermusic <-- edited

There are three more songs on the physical record, but I haven't worked on them as much as these three. Maybe I'll upload them later!

(kaoir! I hadn't read your comment. I'm sorry I didn't answer. I think you gave some really interesting insight. It's a big subject and I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about it.)

Hi lovely you! Smiler All three of the songs are just great. I very much enjoyed listening to them. I always cringe a little when someone on here wants some criticism about their music. It makes you struggle with honesty vs. wanting to just be nice. Your stuff requires no struggle. Your music is sooo very good. It's pretty wonderful actually. Creative, beautiful voice, lovely music. It sounds like more then just a hobby going on here. It's high quality, professional stuff. Bravo my little brumstix sister. Smiler

I just finished listening to all three. They are wonderful! When you first said you were going to be putting some songs on soundcloud, for some reason I thought you said new songs, and I got excited that you had written new songs. Oops, I misunderstood...But I'm still glad it was these songs because now we can hear them with better quality, clearer, and more refined. They are so lovely, honestly, I'm impressed. I really really like Drip Drop. i actually got it stuck in my head a while ago, through the whole day...but i didn't mind as it's a really cool song. Smiler

I just listened to your songs and sound cloud and they were beautiful! I'm always impressed with people who can write and perform their own music. I'm curious to know if when you were writing your songs, did you hear the studio effects that were applied in your recordings? Or were those added after you had written the song, and you were experimenting to see what sound you liked best?

Hi! Smiler

First of all, thanks for sharing your music!!

I enjoyed listening to your songs, they are beautiful. I'm truly impressed. Smiler

Drip Drop and vs. (it's so funny that you've changed several times the name of a song which deals with indecision Razzer) were my favorite songs so I'm very happy to hear them with better quality and all the studio effects!

Drip Drop and snowflakes are wonderful! Drip Drop gives me chills everytime.

Also, you give so much energy when you sing vs.! I love the last 'yeaaaaah' (and I love dancing during the guitar's solo, it's pretty fun!)

I'm curious to know what are the three other songs you have recorded, I hope you will upload them!

If one day you decide to put these songs on an album, let me know about it! Wink

By the way, don't be sorry if you didn't answer to my post. It was very nice of you to explain the reasons why you wrote the swedish song (it's a big subject, you're right). It's always fascinating to understand the process and I am very curious to know your answer to Wishful Friend's question!

Long post alert!

You guys! Thank you so much for the positive response. Seriously. Thank you very very much. If you do have any advice or constructive critisism I would be glad to hear it. Feel free to sugarcoat it though, I'm a sensitive person but I can usually take it Wink

Marielle (it's the right name, right?): I actually think "drip drop dripp drop" in my head whenever I play those notes.

Anthony: It means a lot that you think it doesn't sound just like a hobby. I can assure you they're no professional recordings though. I can only imagine the marvellous stuff that could happen if I met a professionl producer.

porcupine-ologist: But of course I have written new songs! When I started to record I chose the songs I liked the best or had most ideas for at the moment =) Actually there's an unheard song among the other three. Not as carefully recorded but still.

Wishful Friend: That's a hard question! I guess it usually comes afterwards. With these three I did have a plan before I started recording. The cymbals were always there in snowflakes. When the writing was done I knew there were gonna be cymbals, I could hear them, but in the writing process: no. And I knew I wanted lots of vocals and chaos but that part was completely improvised while recording. Now I always sing it like that. Some people thought I should leave vs. as a piano-and-voice-only song but I wanted to try a full band. When I had decided to try a full band I knew from the start I wanted distorted vocals.

It's a mix I guess. I don't want to be stuck in one way. Sometimes I listen to others and sometimes I just do what I want, sometimes I hear stuff directly and sometimes I experiment. I usually expect certain things to fit and I try them first.

kaoir: hehe. I know that the vs. thing is pretty comical. The naming process was so ironic that it was ridiculous at times :P one of the three is the Swedish song btw. It's now called "Bit för bit"/Piece by Piece and it will be the next one to be up.

I think it's awesome how they all turned out, and I especially love the use of different styles of music! And thanks for answering! I was curious to know what thought processes are used for creating music. How often are you thinking of new songs? Is it like a constant flow of ideas and melodies? Or do you have more a marathon brainstorming session when you feel like trying to write new material?

Thank you Wishful Friend =) I didn't do the different styles on purpose. It just happened.

The questions you ask are really tough to answer. During some time periods I think about new stuff all the time. Like "oh! That should be a song!" or "That's a great English word!". Sometimes I write it down and go back later. Often when I do that I don't feel for it very much anymore and nothing gets done with it. Then I write something else because at the time I was inspired enough to go back and look. Sometimes I get little melodies in my head and record them on my phone. But it's the same thing there. I don't think there's anything wrong with deciding to write and then do it. Of course you have to be inspired, but you can't just wait around for the inspiration to come. I think it's important to actively work to be inspired. I wouldn't be inspired by sitting at home all day. If I take a walk I might get inspired. So I do that and then I've actively made an effort to feel more like writing. The bottom line is, if you want to want to write, you gotta do things that make you feel like it. Sometimes it's enough just seeing a piano for me though Smiler