jesse

Songs that have "slipped through the cracks" & obscure recordings

as we all know, we are lucky enough that Regina is constantly writing and performing new songs and allowing them to be recorded so that we can hear them for years to come.

but, despite this, some songs have been better preserved than others, just by bad luck.

i lost most of my regina collection when changing computers and, while reconstructing it, was feeling like there were some recordings i was remembering but unable to find, while meanwhile encountering new ones i'd never heard of songs i'd previously not enjoyed because of the recording quality. this got me thinking that there are probably quite a few things i'm missing. so i made this thread.

while a lot of regina's songs have either been recorded professionally, happened to end up with great recordings, or are still being played today, there are just as many, or probably more, that have not. i made a list of songs that i kind of think of as having "slipped through the cracks;" they're old enough so that they aren't really performed anymore, and don't appear to have been professionally recorded. while obviously that's all subject to change, it's very likely that most of them won't be lucky enough for regina to decide to bring them back. this is my list:

aquarius

"be like a cloud"

bear spektor

"begin to hope"

the bronx

"a cooler version"

devil came to betlehem

dog & pony

dulce et decorum est

dust to dust

"the floor heard everything"

happy hooker

long brown hair

loveology

making records

mermaid

mustard musketeers

one string blues

patron saint

secret stash

uncle bobby

virgin queen

"woolen gloves"

you

additionally, there are these:

ab, belt, soho, eighth floor: professionally recorded sometime before 2004

the clocks were asleep: has not been played since '03, but was possibly revived with 'rowboats' as per this

dead rat: performed in 2002 and

, so it's kind of recent

i cut off my hair: i believe there is a demo of this floating around, but that's all i can say

oh marcello

rockland county: professionally recorded, but the leaked version is incomplete

reginasuaurus: this was performed during the far tour, but there is still no perfect version; she improved the lyrics, too, i think, right?

and of course, the ones that haven't shown themselves in any way whatsoever... :

the list

in the studio (only a couple seconds of it)

pyromania

the black birds (debatable, and also title might be wrong)

"the big towns"

by the time you read this letter

so, i am basically asking if everyone could share what they believe is the best recording of any of these songs, especially (but not only!) if it is not on respektonline.com or reginaspektor.net. also, if .flacs or other lossless formats of any of these are available, it would be great if those could be shared too.

as we all know, we are lucky enough that Regina is constantly writing and performing new songs and allowing them to be recorded so that we can hear them for years to come.

but, despite this, some songs have been better preserved than others, just by bad luck.

i lost most of my regina collection when changing computers and, while reconstructing it, was feeling like there were some recordings i was remembering but unable to find, while meanwhile encountering new ones i'd never heard of songs i'd previously not enjoyed because of the recording quality. this got me thinking that there are probably quite a few things i'm missing. so i made this thread.

while a lot of regina's songs have either been recorded professionally, happened to end up with great recordings, or are still being played today, there are just as many, or probably more, that have not. i made a list of songs that i kind of think of as having "slipped through the cracks;" they're old enough so that they aren't really performed anymore, and don't appear to have been professionally recorded. while obviously that's all subject to change, it's very likely that most of them won't be lucky enough for regina to decide to bring them back. this is my list:

aquarius

"be like a cloud"

bear spektor

"begin to hope"

the bronx

"a cooler version"

devil came to betlehem

dog & pony

dulce et decorum est

dust to dust

"the floor heard everything"

happy hooker

long brown hair

loveology

making records

mermaid

mustard musketeers

one string blues

patron saint

secret stash

uncle bobby

virgin queen

"woolen gloves"

you

additionally, there are these:

the clocks were asleep: has not been played since '03, but was possibly revived with 'rowboats' as per this

dead rat: performed in 2002 and

, so it's kind of recent

i cut off my hair: i believe there is a demo of this floating around, but that's all i can say

oh marcello

rockland county: professionally recorded, but the leaked version is incomplete

reginasuaurus: this was performed during the far tour, but there is still no perfect version; she improved the lyrics, too, i think, right?

and of course, the ones that haven't shown themselves in any way whatsoever... :

the list

in the studio (only a couple seconds of it)

pyromania

the black birds (debatable, and also title might be wrong)

"the big towns"

by the time you read this letter

so, i am basically asking if everyone could share what they believe is the best recording of any of these songs, especially (but not only!) if it is not on respektonline.com or reginaspektor.net. also, if .flacs or other lossless formats of any of these are available, it would be great if those could be shared too.

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

Sorry, I don't have anything to contribute right now, but wasn't In The Studio also a debatable one?

well there definite was a song at some point which began "in the studio..." but that's all that's known i think. there's the recording somewhere of her beginning to play it and stopping.

quote:
Originally posted by jesse:

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

Sorry, I don't have anything to contribute right now, but wasn't In The Studio also a debatable one?

well there definite was a song at some point which began "in the studio..." but that's all that's known i think. there's the recording somewhere of her beginning to play it and stopping.

Ok, yeah, I remember that now. My bad.

quote:
Originally posted by sweetness in my lungs:

quote:

What did I miss here...? Professional recording of these songs...?

yes, back in 2004 a user named semilit stopped by for a few months to let everyone know that she had a record label friend who gave her a copy of some unreleased songs and then ignore all of the requests to hear. i've googled her a bit, and she's a fairly well-connected person who has a history of doing mean things like this.

quote:
Originally posted by makingstuffup:

Have you tried emailing her at: semilit[at]yahoo.com? Found her on a forum and that is listed as her email address.

yes, others have too. in the past she would reply with a blunt "no." but now there is just no reply.