jesse

Songs that have "slipped through the cracks" & obscure recordings

I bet she made it up for all the attention. I think we would probably have heard about them by now if that was true. Either way it was such a jerk move! I also would give my left arm for a professional recording of 8th floor!

I have lots of these rare songs (most of them live) and many of them are the best live recordings i've been able to find.

here's what i have that you may be interested in, many are from the sites you referenced, but some aren't... i didn't really record where the songs came from Smiler

1. aquarius:live

2. "be like a cloud":live(at Barbés) not the best live recording(crowd noise etc.)

3. the bronx:live(at Barbés) better recording than be like a cloud

4. bear spektor:live(2002 living room) slight crowd/bar noise and laughing it feels like it gets cut off

5. begin to hope:live(at bowery ballroom)

6. "a cooler version":live(2003 Living Room) moderate crowd noise

7. devil came to betlehem:live(2003 Sin-é) buzzing mic, minimal crowd noise

8. dog & pony:live cute intro and minimal crowd noise, not the best recording sound quality wise but the only one i've heard.

9. dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:live (2006 Boston) excellent recording in my opinion, plus it's a fantastic song!

10. dust to dust:live(at Barbés) minimal crowd noise

11. "the floor heard everything":live (2003, new york c-note) pretty minimal crowd noise

12. happy hooker:live(at barbés) minimal crowd noise, laughing etc. piano/reg has good volume though.

13. long brown hair:live(2004 Housing works) very minimal crowd noise

14.loveology I have SO many versions of this song.... which one is my favorite? hmmm... there is one i particularly enjoy that has no crowd noise, it's a great version.. i don't know what show it's from. i'd be happy to share!

15. making records:live(c-note) I only have one version, the microphone is a bit fuzzy, but there isn't too much crowd noise. clapping at the end and a cute little reg blurb.

16. mermaid:live (2005 Cabaret Voltaire, Edinburgh, UK), this is the only version i've ever heard. i'd rate it a pretty decent live recordings. very minimal crowd noises, except laughing and very beg/end.

17.mustard musketeers:live(2002, Living Room) definitely from reginaspektor.net, fuzzy microphone. does anyone have a different recording? this one isn't the best.. but it's what i have Smiler

18. one string blues:live(at barbés) minimal crowd noise.

19. patron saint:live(2003, Living Room) minimal crowd noise, and she has a cute "i'm supposed to go really high here right?" little quip. it's adorable of course.

20. secret stash (2003, Living Room) slightly more crowd noise than others. squeaky chairs.. etc. definitely interested in a better version cause this song is such a gem. but it's definitely a decent version in itself.

21. uncle bobby:live some crowd noise, some mess-ups, it's the only version i've ever heard.

22. virgin queen:live (2004 Bush Hall) I only have heard one version. this one is a bit echoey and doesn't pick up her whispers the best. that would be awesome if there was a better version.

23. "woolen gloves":live(at barbés) crowd noise, some talking, also the only version I've heard of this song.

24. you:live(2004 Housing Works) minimal crowd noise. such a lovely song. i've only heard this one version.

ab, belt, soho, eighth floor: I have all these live. (but sadly no official recordings of course)

dead rat: i have the 2002 version

i cut off my hair: I have a live recording. no demo. it's from 2004, and there was a mixing/levels issue so she had to pause and correct in the middle of the song. minimal crowd noise. only version i've heard Smiler

oh marcello:live(2003 new york, c-note) only version i have! pretty good version Smiler

rockland county: i have the demo

reginasaurus: I have it live at Bowery, the cute one where she messed up at the end. I know there are lots of versions, haven't heard a "perfect" one.

so... yes there all mostly live, and many are from respektonline and reginaspektor.net but i'm happy to share and collaborate!

quote:
Originally posted by incurable humanist:

So unfortunate that it seems we'll never get ahold of those demos. I would give my left arm for a professional recording of 8th Floor.

That and my other two legs for Dog & Pony and Loveology Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Alarmclock:

Any opinions on the best recording of Small Town Moon? Smiler

I haven't heard every recording of Small Town Moon, but the one I have, which I love, is from her 2009 show at the Bowery Ballroom in New York.

quote:
Originally posted by jesse:

yes, back in 2004 a user named semilit stopped by for a few months to let everyone know that she had a record label friend who gave her a copy of some unreleased songs and then ignore all of the requests to hear. i've googled her a bit, and she's a fairly well-connected person who has a history of doing mean things like this.

That characterization is a bit unfair--semilit was a regular forum member for a long time and only mentioned the demo in the context of a thread started by someone else.

In any case, while I have no reason to disbelieve that semilit had a CD with the track list she posted and believed it to be a "demo", I just think she was mistaken, and that what she actually had was probably just a fan-made compilation of 11:11, Songs, & live stuff--the kind of compilation that I and more than a few like-minded people were passing around quite a bit during that period. If I'm right, then "The List" is probably just a mislabel of some random live song.

Anyone remember that magazine article from back in 2006 (? Maybe I have the year wrong) where a reviewer mentioned her playing a song on guitar that he refereed to as "the Virgin Queen?"

Obviously it's a bit of a strange reference considering that it's not one of her guitar songs but rather one for solo piano... but does anybody else here remember the review I'm talking about? Or happen to have the setlist to the show? Perhaps if we all did a bit of good ol' fashioned searching we could dig up some info on this. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by srg:

quote:
Originally posted by jesse:

yes, back in 2004 a user named semilit stopped by for a few months to let everyone know that she had a record label friend who gave her a copy of some unreleased songs and then ignore all of the requests to hear. i've googled her a bit, and she's a fairly well-connected person who has a history of doing mean things like this.

That characterization is a bit unfair--semilit was a regular forum member for a long time and only mentioned the demo in the context of a thread started by someone else.

In any case, while I have no reason to disbelieve that semilit had a CD with the track list she posted and believed it to be a "demo", I just think she was mistaken, and that what she actually had was probably just a fan-made compilation of 11:11, Songs, & live stuff--the kind of compilation that I and more than a few like-minded people were passing around quite a bit during that period. If I'm right, then "The List" is probably just a mislabel of some random live song.

well, that might be true. but like i said, i know for a fact she was well-connected and has rare recordings from multiple artists; the only reason people know this is because she's been open about it. she's received multiple emails from multiple people about different recordings with different artists and replies with "no thanks." or "that's okay." to what i can only imagine were heartfelt and genuine requests from people who were really big fans of the respective artists to share or trade.

either way, i'm 95% sure the recordings exist (and that they are, in fact, demos) although i do agree "the list" may not actually be a completely unfamiliar song.