jesse

Songs that have "slipped through the cracks" & obscure recordings

quote:
Originally posted by IDontCare:

Anyone remember that magazine article from back in 2006 (? Maybe I have the year wrong) where a reviewer mentioned her playing a song on guitar that he refereed to as "the Virgin Queen?"

Obviously it's a bit of a strange reference considering that it's not one of her guitar songs but rather one for solo piano... but does anybody else here remember the review I'm talking about? Or happen to have the setlist to the show? Perhaps if we all did a bit of good ol' fashioned searching we could dig up some info on this. Smiler

Yes! I remember that review.. I seem to remember this was the same article which mentioned School is Out and Pyromania!

Oh, wait, i might be thinking of a different, older review. I think the one you mentioned was more recent than the Pyromania one. The mention of virgin queen got me all excited at the thought that it must have been recently mentioned by regina, but it turned out that the reviewer was just mentioning the track in passing, if memory serves (and mine is terrible!)

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa!:

I haven't heard every recording of Small Town Moon, but the one I have, which I love, is from her 2009 show at the Bowery Ballroom in New York.

Hey, thanks! That was recorded on a $50 Sony MiniDisc player Smiler

My personal favorite "Small Town Moon" is from the Purchase show in 2007. We have 8 recordings of the song on RSO, you can see them all on the song page: http://respektonline.com/songs.php?s=173

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

quote:

Anyone remember that magazine article from back in 2006 (? Maybe I have the year wrong) where a reviewer mentioned her playing a song on guitar that he refereed to as "the Virgin Queen?"

Obviously it's a bit of a strange reference considering that it's not one of her guitar songs but rather one for solo piano... but does anybody else here remember the review I'm talking about? Or happen to have the setlist to the show? Perhaps if we all did a bit of good ol' fashioned searching we could dig up some info on this. Smiler

Yes! I remember that review.. I seem to remember this was the same article which mentioned School is Out and Pyromania!

Oh, wait, i might be thinking of a different, older review. I think the one you mentioned was more recent than the Pyromania one. The mention of virgin queen got me all excited at the thought that it must have been recently mentioned by regina, but it turned out that the reviewer was just mentioning the track in passing, if memory serves (and mine is terrible!)

Hmmmm I think the article about Pyrymania and School is out is from an old website where people posted reviews of one of the clubs/lounges/bars where Regina used to play circa '00-'02, and he mentioned finding it funny that Regina played the songs Pyromania and School is Out and didn't even realize that those were already the titles of very famous songs.

But regarding the Virgin Queen, I thought for sure that the reviewer/magazine writer person had mentioned her specifically playing it on guitar? Hmmmmmmmm... I gotta go see if I can find this article...

Also, someone in the NY area definitely needs to go visit SUNY Purchase and find the dude who has that copy of Regina's demo tape on CD and rip a copy of it.... I'd be very curious to hear if it's of better audio quality than the cassette tape one. Smiler

I'd volunteer but I'm in lonely little Eastern MA... Frowner

quote:

Hmmmm I think the article about Pyrymania and School is out is from an old website where people posted reviews of one of the clubs/lounges/bars where Regina used to play circa '00-'02, and he mentioned finding it funny that Regina played the songs Pyromania and School is Out and didn't even realize that those were already the titles of very famous songs.

But regarding the Virgin Queen, I thought for sure that the reviewer/magazine writer person had mentioned her specifically playing it on guitar? Hmmmmmmmm... I gotta go see if I can find this article...

Good luck! Sorry i haven't been of more help lol! I'm not really the go-to person for vintage/archiving/media stuff for regina.. I just kinda jumped in on a whim Razzer

I hope you find it!!

I think this was the article here...

http://www.discovervancouver.c...-with-regina-spektor

However, now that I'm re-reading it, I realize that it probably isn't true...

Considering that half of the story in this article is admittidly made up (The whole, "I want to F**K you!" part), and that he's referencing songs like Two Birds and others that only just came out in the past few years, I'd highly doubt that the Virgin Queen would have made any sort of appearance, solo guitar or not...

I also found a copy of the setlist from the show he seems to be referencing... http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/...canada-2bd73846.html

And as you can see, no Virgin Queen.

But why even bother to make the reference in the first place? It's such an obscure song for those not in the know... and for those who ARE in the know, they'd be sure to realize the all-encompassing importance of making sure that the performance is shared with the world... so idk.

Maybe if I have a bit o' free time I'll see if I can find a full recording of the concert... I'll scan through song by song and maybe see if she even throws out a reference to it? That'd be kinda cool. But I guess I'm not gonna get my hopes up. Frowner

^^I'm with you-- 99% sure she didn't perform it at the show, or even mention it. His fabrication is in complete swing when he ref's the song, just like you pointed out.

Most likely he picked the song because it sounds vaguely provocative; the word virgin gets people thinking about sex, and he was accentuating regina's quirkiness and lewd comments (sp?) from audience members, so he probably found a list of her songs and picked the only one that sounds most sexual, or could be construed that way (love you're a whore would likely work, too, or happy hooker, which would have confused us just as much)

quote:

Also, someone in the NY area definitely needs to go visit SUNY Purchase and find the dude who has that copy of Regina's demo tape on CD and rip a copy of it.... I'd be very curious to hear if it's of better audio quality than the cassette tape one. Smiler

I'd volunteer but I'm in lonely little Eastern MA... Frowner

My sister goes to Purchase; I'll be there a few times between now and May. Do you know this person's name or how to get in touch with them?

It would be cool if this professor agreed to share the songs. I bet the quality is much, much cleaner than the tape versions that have ugly noises. However, there's a very good chance he might say no. If it comes to that, get on your knees and beg! Tell him there's a whole community of devoted fans dying to hear better quality versions of those songs. Smiler