Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pianist

Time is All Around

11 posts in this topic

Ok so usually i hate thinking about lyrics of songs in detail...blah, blah, blah! but I just needed to get my thoughts out there...to see if anyone can see/hear the same thing! i may be completely crazy...but can anyone see the allusions/references to Alice in Wonderland in "Time is All Around". Before i discuss what...I'm wondering if other people have ever thought similar ideas regarding this song?

edit: really dodgy spelling...that hopefully no-one noticed!

Ok so usually i hate thinking about lyrics of songs in detail...blah, blah, blah! but I just needed to get my thoughts out there...to see if anyone can see/hear the same thing! i may be completely crazy...but can anyone see the allusions/references to Alice in Wonderland in "Time is All Around". Before i discuss what...I'm wondering if other people have ever thought similar ideas regarding this song?

edit: really dodgy spelling...that hopefully no-one noticed!

Personally, i am not very knowledgeable about alice in wonderland, so i never made that connection.

I'm interested to hear how you've connected the dots, though!

I've generally thought of this as a song about the pressure to fall in love versus an individual trying to make it work for her/him. The narrator is realizing that they're over someone that everyone else thinks they should be in a relationship with. Smiler

Just my general thoughts. Frankly, alice in wonderland sounds really interesting!

That's super interesting!

I read the book "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll a few years ago and you're right (not crazy), we can find some references!

I especially love the line :

Time is all around

Except inside my clock

Everyone is waiting for their lover to unlock

I think this part of the song could be an allusion to the Hatter.

Indeed, in the book, the Hatter explains to Alice that in his world, it's always 6pm. One day, he sang a song to the Queen of Hearts and she wasn't exactly pleased.. So she wanted to cut off his head for "murdering the time". Fortunately, he has not been killed by the Queen but The Time punished him and keep him stuck at 6pm forever (tea time!). It explains why he is mad..

Maybe there are other references but it's hard to draw a parallel between them and what Regina wants to express.

At the begining, she sings :

And then you walk right out the door

It could be an other allusion. At first, Alice is with her sister and she is bored. Suddenly, she sees a White Rabbit and follows him. She falls in a hole and then she is in a room with many doors. Finally, she finds a key and enter into the Wonderland.

I hallucinate a cat between my feet

I'm stepping lightly so as not to hurt it

It could be an allusion to the Cheshire Cat, or to the Alice's cat.. I don't know.

Everybody wants to say that you have changed

Of course you've changed, you've changed

Your mind's been rearranged

I'm not sure about this reference but in the book, Alice always eat something. There are food which makes her taller and food which makes her shorter. She changes and evolves throughout the story. Besides, "Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There" is the sequel to "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and in this book, she is not the same. She is more independent, more reflective.

Ok pianist. Now it's your turn. You have to explain everything. haha Big Grin

Everybody wants to say that you have changed

Of course you've changed, you've changed

^^This part kind of reminds me of that quote, where Alice says:

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be,it would. You see?"

But I think I might just be grasping at straws.

Anyway, kaoir, I like that idea of that lyric:

referring to to the Cheshire Cat, especially since it says "I hallucinate" and the Cheshire Cat is always appearing and disappearing...

quote:
Originally posted by porcupine-ologist :

Anyway, kaoir, I like that idea of that lyric:

referring to to the Cheshire Cat, especially since it says "I hallucinate" and the Cheshire Cat is always appearing and disappearing...

Yes, you're right! I always thought that the Cheschire Cat was an existantialist. And it's funny because sometimes that annoys Alice. So, maybe in the song the narrator doesn't want to hurt the cat because if he does, the cat will express some philosophical thoughts. But the narrator doesn't want to speak about the life and love, he just wants to be free.

A song about an existantialist cat.. Somebody put something in my drink. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by kaoir:

Time is all around

Except inside my clock

Everyone is waiting for their lover to unlock

I think this part of the song could be an allusion to the Hatter.

Indeed, in the book, the Hatter explains to Alice that in his world, it's always 6pm. One day, he sang a song to the Queen of Hearts and she wasn't exactly pleased.. So she wanted to cut off his head for "murdering the time". Fortunately, he has not been killed by the Queen but The Time punished him and keep him stuck at 6pm forever (tea time!). It explains why he is mad..

By the way I like this explanation about the Mad Hatter, it's very interesting!

Since you mention the Queen, it made me think of the lyric

"Everyone is waiting for their lover to unlock" and the Queen from Alice in Wonderland is the Queen of Hearts.

Well, I went to the library and read the actual book since Pianist piqued my interest and I wanted to know more than just my knowledge from the old, Disney cartoon movie. Big Grin

I found a much better quote than I put before for the part of the song that goes:

Everybody wants to say that you have changed Of course you've changed, you've changed

When she finds the Caterpillar he asks her, "Who are you?" and she replies, "I hardly know, Sir, just at present-at least I know who I was when I got up this morning , but I think I must have changed several times since then."

Kaoir already basically got this with describing Alice's growing and shrinking several times. Alice can't get used to changing all the time and all the weird things that happen to her, that she doesn't even know who she is anymore.

And the last sentence, "Of course you've changed , you're mind's been rearranged" makes me think of the Cheshire Cat telling her she's gone mad, or else she wouldn't be there.

Also,concerning time, the White Rabbit is always concerned with the time and being late, checking his watch.

Aside from Time is All Around, I noticed some things that made me think of other songs, but they're totally just coincidences, I just like pointing out synchronicity or whatever...

At one point the White Rabbit mistakes Alice for a housemaid and orders her to get his gloves calling her "Mary Ann! Mary Ann!"

And then at the courtroom the King says " Rule Forty-two All persons more than a mile high must leave the court"

Anyone else, thoughts? pianist?

Great finds porcupine-ologist!

The Caterpillar, I remember it..

Well.. Actually I have read this book a few years ago so I have (and want) to reread it.

However, I think that we have found the main references. Wink

Concerning the housemaid called Mary Ann and the use of the number 42.. Yeah, these coincidences are funny!

I think that Lewis Carroll was obsessed with the number 42 because we can find this number in many of his works. Or maybe it's me who is obsessed, I don't know. Big Grin

I think you guys have all gone above and beyond and found some way cool connections.

Parts of the song that i was mostly thinking about were like "i hallucinate a cat between my feet..." and "everybody wants to say you have changed of course you've changed, you've changed your mind's been rearranged" for all similar reasons to what you have all suggested!

also just general references to time and stuff -similar ideas to alice and wonderland? so coolness....im not going completely crazy Big Grin