Sign in to follow this  
srg

2012-04-10 Montclair, NJ | Wellmont Theater

After listening to all the songs {at least the ones from WWSFTCS ;P}, I'm very excited for the new record!

It's fun listening to the songs in the order that they'll appear on the album. Just based on that one concert, it sounds like the songs will flow right into each other. For example, "How" is just a perfect fit after "Patron Saint." {I hope I'm remembering correctly. xD}

If I had to guess, I'd say that "Jessica" is going to be a happy tune. It seems like WWSFTCS is doing the opposite of far in that the latter started with the happy tune of "The Calculation" and ended with the mellow "Man of a Thousand Faces." The new album starts with the mellow {at least, mellow in my mind} tune of "Small Town Moon" and {this is pure speculation} ends with the happy tune of "Jessica."

Maybe Jessica is the person in "The Party." xD

I don't think how she's doing these songs in concert are good indicators of how she'll actually do them on the album. You know her. I've heard the same songs done three different ways in concert. Full bands, no bands, guitars or not. Some strings, a lot of strings. Who knows how they'll end up. I do know thought that she likes to experiment and has always dreamed of being in a studio with options. We all no how great she is by herself with no band, but I don't think she's ever wanted to do that with every song she writes.

^^That's true, but considering Two Birds, OMTWF, Eet, etc. from far, the concerts tended to sound very much like the album versions. Dance Anthem sounds a lot like it, and she plays that one all the time!

We can't know 100% how they'll sound, but i'd bet the concerts are pretty close to the album versions! Smiler Just that the album will have the added bonus of being able to go back and rehash the recordings if they're not how she wants them. Which means, in theory, it can only get better

I like the treatment of a lot of the songs expect for the cymbals for the most part. They seemed distracting and overbearing especially during the instrumental segment of Firewood.

I'm a sucker for cymbals. I think they add a lot of feeling and I like the sound of it =) I too suspect he acoustics are a little bit screwed up in that venue.

I didn't like the two new songs at first. The Party is really growing on me though. To me it sounds like a really personal song. The way she smiles at the last "you look like new year". I think it might have been written to like...a husband...or something...who may or may not have been there...performing with her a little.

Well, I might be totally affected by all the marriage "speculations", but to me the song sounds like it's what's going through a bride's head during her wedding party. She looks over at her husband and there's just trumpets and parades in her head and this happy happy song is played in her mind when he smiles back at her. It's such a love song. Can't you hear it? It's childish and just super happy. And sung by someone in love.

I think Open and Firewood turned out really well. Cymbals yey! I don't think Patron Saint and Small Town Moon handled the transformation quite as well though. It works, of course! It really does. But you can tell that they weren't written to a drum beat. And I'm not saying that just because I know they've been played without. Regina is really good at queing during STM. But it sounds a bit chopped up. And Patron Saint loses little melody lines and other stuff. It doesn't flow as good anymore and the minor (like in a key) sound of it really stands out to me. I thought it sounded happier before somehow.

And is it only me, but are all the songs that got drums added to them have the same drum beat? ONE, two, THREE, four... It feels a bit added (and not included) on some songs, but I think The Party really works with drums...maybe because the drummer plays another beat.

How is growing on me too. But it reminds me so so much of Your Song. Someone said in another thread that BoaP reminded them of it, but that was just a melody line. How has got all the harmonies and chords of it. I'm exaggerating of course, but I can't stop thinking of it. Right after "How can I?" I want to start singing the "man who makes potions..."-part. And the bass line when it's only piano in her left hand is exactly the same as in Man of a 1000 with another rhythm. The song just doesn't strike me as original. The ooh:s are fantastic though. Feel free to disagree about everything. I just expected more of the song.

But I am just being picky. I think the album will be great and I believe Regina is in control of what she's doing. I'm really excited for May and for the other live shows now in April =)

Enough rambling. Time for breakfast.

I feel like the only one here who likes vocoders. :P

Granted, I can see why it might annoy some, and why it might seem odd in BoaP... But me personally? I love it. <3 can't wait to see her in Boston in 4 weeks! And then hear it on the album!

Personally I think it'd be really cool to create this massive climax in BoaP where the vocoders effect just gets louder and more dominating and menacing until it practically engulfs you! And them fades gently back to natural Regina....

I also really loved her vocoders use in Dance Anthem. Big Grin

I'm a sucker for robot-Regina. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by IDontCare:

I feel like the only one here who likes vocoders. :P

Granted, I can see why it might annoy some, and why it might seem odd in BoaP... But me personally? I love it. <3 can't wait to see her in Boston in 4 weeks! And then hear it on the album!

Personally I think it'd be really cool to create this massive climax in BoaP where the vocoders effect just gets louder and more dominating and menacing until it practically engulfs you! And them fades gently back to natural Regina....

I also really loved her vocoders use in Dance Anthem. Big Grin

I'm a sucker for robot-Regina. Wink

Funny, I thought I was the only one too! I LOVE vocoder Regina. BoaP is going to be my favorite From the new album. I wish it was released as a single Frowner then end of may is just torture.

Anyone remember what she said after one of our loud applauses/whistling?

"I feel part flattered and part stripper"