Sign in to follow this  
srg

2012-04-10 Montclair, NJ | Wellmont Theater

quote:
Originally posted by RedRyder:

quote:
Originally posted by IDontCare:

I feel like the only one here who likes vocoders. :P

Granted, I can see why it might annoy some, and why it might seem odd in BoaP... But me personally? I love it. <3 can't wait to see her in Boston in 4 weeks! And then hear it on the album!

Personally I think it'd be really cool to create this massive climax in BoaP where the vocoders effect just gets louder and more dominating and menacing until it practically engulfs you! And them fades gently back to natural Regina....

I also really loved her vocoders use in Dance Anthem. Big Grin

I'm a sucker for robot-Regina. Wink

Funny, I thought I was the only one too! I LOVE vocoder Regina. BoaP is going to be my favorite From the new album. I wish it was released as a single Frowner then end of may is just torture.

I love the vocoder too! Really excited to hear the studio version of BoaP. Big Grin

Guys i'm really sorry for being so slow. Rough patch after I left you guys last week that had me debating whether or not the world even needed me in it anymore. But I'm still here and if I'm here, I'm gonna write this cause I love ya'll and regina too.

I'm loving the seated shows. It's so much easier and so much more respekful. Though it was weird sitting in a front row populated almost entirely by tiny kids. Tiny kids who were appeased with lollipops and t-shirts pre-show...strange but they seemed to be into it so that's good. Regina found them adorable, for a while...

Jack's band oh, my. The tambourine man was insane. No idea who he was or where he came from but he was quite a spectacle. I like Only Son, so I enjoy when they open. It's nice not feel like the opener = interminable suffering required to "get to" regina. While Jack was on, the stage crew was operating on Regina's guitar in the wing. Hard core OPERATING, like cpr, defibrillation, reattachment surgery... I think they might have restrung it and some other stuff but some guy was working on it forever. The guitar never made an appearance. Why? I don't know...

Regina came out in a billowy belted black shirt and bright blue skirt and red nail polish. But, was also wearing STUFF, electronic stuff, earpieces and packs on her back; I instantly freaked out a little. robogina ahhhh... She went to the piano, got up walked back almost off stage then quickly returned. She opened with All the Rowboats in it's power and fury it was perfect. Perfect except for her missing the word "captain's" right at the beginning... I smiled. Small Town Moon was really my only disappointment of the night, eh... the drums were a bit much for me. The treatment of Oh Marcello I liked a lot. The cymbal rises were nice (maybe I could've done with a few less, but whatever...) the song sounded just teeny bit to "marchy" to me. Something about it, I couldn't quite tell you. At the show even I felt like we were all on some long journey slogging one foot in front of the other during that one. Weird. I thought Firewood was beautiful. Aside from some jackoff shouting inappropriately during it, I liked everything about it, even/especially the part where the drums picked it up just a little. Personally, I really really like Ballad of a Politician in general. But holy wow, I was mildly terrified to hear her synthesized voice. So much of it. At the same time, I understand it. It really puts the whole concept of "this is how it happens our world under command" in perspective. All of us little minions scraping by down here, you know. I truly got chills during that last really big slow creepy electronic "you're gonna make us weep." Amazing. Gosh, Patron Saint. Loved. Sooo happy about this one. I've always been a sucker for it, so I'm glad that I got to hear it live, period. Despite the fact that this one, again, to me, sounded a bit "marchy" (heavy handed drummer?) my face was starting to hurt from smiling so much. By now, the kiddies were getting restless, (and probably not understanding russian), and making noise so regina had to shush them. Then during the Flowers she gave them a stern look reaffirming her seriousness. hahaha Despite no guitar, at least she stood up for Silly eye-color generalizations and Call them Brothers. I was conveniently located RIGHT in front of her for those. Completely awesome. It was hilarious when Jack came out and started playing Mr. Tambourine man (in response to an audience member's comment about his "bandmate")...since that's the song they sang together and regina messed-up at DylanFest. You could see regina was like, "oh no you don't" LOL. Love watching them sing together it's always one of my favorite parts. Moving back to the piano, she did Ne Me Quitte Pas. Although the album version that was released wasn't exactly my favorite take on the song. Live, it was SO great. I agree that it FEELS different, and I suppose that's ok. I miss the other verse, because the bit about Paris is SO random without it, and the song is overall way "happier" now. Regardless, I don't know that I'd trade that cello bit from this show for anything. I was pleased. It's a song people can really "get into" at shows now I think. Laughing With got tons of cheers, and I'm glad it's still making the setlist. On the other hand, when she played Ode to Divorce I had to stifle my urge to shout "BRAILLE!" Not that I care about Braille particularly, but while I like Ode to Divorce, in my mind, it's kinda had it's time. She's played it all last tour and I wish it could move out and some other old song could move into the setlist. Open, is a song that has grown on me quite a bit in the last year, so I was excited to be hearing it live. Loved the rawness at the show. It was gorgeous. Then came The Party. Finally, finally, the thing i'd been so hoping for. She unleased a brand new song on us. Title is in the first line, so no guessing on that one. Big Grin Instantly I knew I loved it. It was REGINA. It was new. It was riot gear and the caluclation. It was too short. The lyrics were fun and described things in a totally unconventional but insightful way. You taste like birthday? really? exactly what ARE you talking about regina? i don't know, and i don't care? pure genius...yes this is why I love you. My face was breaking with overwhelming joy at this point. I got to hear a brand new song, I was satisfied. Then of course we come to the encore, How. I was shocked. Another new one. But this, to me, wasn't regina at all. Don't get me wrong, it was/is beautiful and I listen to it constantly. It was just this straightforward raw emotional ballad about love and loss with zero "quirkiness." At the time, a zillion thoughts were rushing through my head. Not the least of which was how this song may make some people happy. Since I recall discussion on this forum about people being "burnt out" on regina because her songs almost never address normal human emotional crises directly. Then, at the very same time, my brain was struggling to wrap itself around the dichotomy between the lyrics she had just sung in The Party recommending a toast to every memory we can't face and now minutes later, in How, painfully begging, I just want my memories to remain/ there's not a moment i'd erase. I still haven't rectified all that business yet... how we can REALLY think all those thoughts. Regardless, I cried at those lines in How during the show. So it must be a good song then...? I'm still trying to figure it out. To me the song is not REGINA. Songs like this aren't why I love her. Boring people sing stuff like this, because everyone can relate to it. You don't have to wonder what she means, it doesn't involve complex thought. At the same time, she can do anything. So she did. And it is beautiful.

That was it for the encore. She didn't even play Samson. LOL people will never stop begging for it. Overall, you could tell things were a little rough around the edges as far as stage communication and cooperation at this show. With Regina kind of eraticaly jaunting over to the soundboard and making vigorous hand gestures here and there. The whole thing isn't quite comfortable yet(kinda like the Beacon Theater show), but it will be soon. Looking forward to watching it happen. (:

Here are a couple pics.

7088557593_197bb6f5fc_b.jpg

6942488022_96c72710fb_b.jpg

7088559553_df490e3449_b.jpg

^a little blurry, but oh-sooo adorable!

7088559801_2ccd7069c8_b.jpg

Afterwards, we waited in the cold until she came out. The best part was when she was apologizing to everyone about how she always looks so crazy in all the pictures with fans. I responded, "no you don't" as she was looking down signing something for someone else. And she was like "yeah I do." But then she looked up, and saw me and her face lit up when she recognized me. That made me endlessly happy. She commented on my being far from home. No really, only 4 hours this time... I got a hug and she signed my zune which elicited a comment on how her fans always have such cool stuff. It was nice to be there, in that moment again. Big Grin It was good to see everyone. Sorry I missed you Greg! It's been a while now. Hope to catch everyone else at a show soon. See you in Philly and NY!!!

My videos, are slightly questionable. I'm still figuring out my new camera. I mean, they are quality and great sound, but my camera's vantage point was a little blocked by stupid monitors and the high stage and the really obese guy next to me. In addition, I have a new youtube account, since the other one got hacked, so check-in and re-ad or subscribe or what have you if you want to.

Enjoy!

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

Guys i'm really sorry for being so slow. Rough patch after I left you guys last week that had me debating whether or not the world even needed me in it anymore. But I'm still here and if I'm here, I'm gonna write this cause I love ya'll and regina too.

I don't know you, but there is no doubt in my mind that the world needs you. When you feel down, just remember the way Regina smiled at you. xx

denitistgirl, I loved reading your post. The way you write is so engaging and relatable too, if that makes sense, I like the way you describe things. hahah, Smiler I also smiled when she missed "captain's" in the beginning (when I saw the video on youtube). I love it when people make long posts,weren't you also the one who wrote that really long post in the HIAS benefit thread? I loved that post!! you're such a good writer. I wish I could put my thoughts into words better and could do the same. (I kind of have trouble explaining my thoughts in writing or even talking sometimes.)

I definitely believe the world needs more people like you. From what I can tell from your posts you seem to be a very intelligent,kind,and lovely person. Ah, Lost in the Sounds gave such good advice. Smiler That's so cool that Regina remembers you and recognized you when she looked up!!

p.s. Also, thank you so much for those pictures! I love them!

The Party is so cute; everyone said it best when they said it's like a mixup of The Calculation/One More Time With Feeling/The Call/My Dear Acquaintance.

And How is so beautiful; if it were just her voice, it'd be reminiscent of 11:11!Regina. Though I love how she arranged this song; it adds to the rather jazzy feel of the song. Granted, it sounds a little too straightforward for a Regina Spektor song, but that's what's so great about her--she pulls it off quite beautifully.

Part of me also wants to believe that this song is meant to be a tribute to Daniel Cho. "How can I forget you; how can I never see you again?"--I can imagine her singing this to Dan. So beautiful :')