Sign in to follow this  
makingstuffup

"Official" video for Call Them Brothers

Oh, it's gone! Frowner

I agree with RJLupin2, it was more like old Russian home movies that bring a bittersweet sense of nostalgia rather than trying to be artsy/indie/instagramy.

Be like the water, people: I also loved their expressions! Especially Regi's. I'm so used to seeing her with a contagiously broad, smile.

I wonder when it will be officially released.

quote:
I agree with RJLupin2, it was more like old Russian home movies that bring a bittersweet sense of nostalgia rather than trying to be artsy/indie/instagramy.

I didn't really mean that it was "instagramy" (if that isn't a thing, it should be Smiler ) to be indy or edgy, but that it's one way to age and degrade the footage (like films that use digital footage then use some sort of software to make it look like VHS). I have to agree with makingstuffup that it is not my favorite effect in this age where we can take better photographs and make clearer images than ever before. But it does create a sense of nostalgia by using the dated [super 8?] look. Hopefully more info will surface!

(That is to say, I like the effect in this video)

quote:
I have to agree with makingstuffup that it is not my favorite effect in this age where we can take better photographs and make clearer images than ever before.

That's true, I understand. I just think it works with this video. (am I the first one to use the word instagramy? you know what I mean. Razzer )

Does anyone know what book she was holding? I'm just wondering..

edit: Sorry if I sounded a bit too defensive on the video's part. I didn't mean it to sound that way. Big Grin

Hi guys, I wanted to say that the last 6 seconds of the video shows two photographs side by side; these were taken at a small distance and angle from each other and thus create a stereoscopic effect!! I love the fact that this was included in the video!! It's an interesting picture and I could only assume that Regina chose this one scene to be stereoscopic for a reason.

For those hearing the word stereoscopic for the first time, it's fine -not a lot of people learn about this-, and it is a cool way to trick your brain into taking two slightly different-angled photographs and making a composite, a third full image which has depth and a "3D" feel. In order to see it, each eye must be trained on one photograph. I personally have found it easiest to look past the pictures, so that my left eye is focused on the left picture and my right on the right.

You can look up stereoscopic pictures to practice, or also google "stereograms", though these usually refer to more difficult patters that create an amazing illusion and hidden figure/artwork.

And just to be cool and join the club, I really liked this video; it does make me feel nostalgic and yearning for the simpler times of my youth (though of course, they only seemed that way). I especially like it's "stereogrammy" feel ;D

Haha, sorry for the novel.

quote:
Originally posted by FallsDownStairs:

Hi guys, I wanted to say that the last 6 seconds of the video shows two photographs side by side; these were taken at a small distance and angle from each other and thus create a stereoscopic effect!!

You know, I actually tried crossing my eyes for the stereoscopic effect earlier on in the video, when they were on the bridge, but it wasn't altered, just 2D. I'm so not surprised they did end up putting something like that in there, though! Smiler

Also, welcome to the stix! Big Grin

quote:
Does anyone know what book she was holding? I'm just wondering..

i believe it's something by marina tsvetaeva. she's a russian poet! it was too blurry for me to read the subtitle to know what work it is - sorry!