Sign in to follow this  
dentistgirl

2012 US Tour

Recommended Posts

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

http://littlegreygirlfriend.co...with-regina-spektor/

Regina didn't have a synth player on either far or BTH tour, did she?

oooooooooooo synth! that's awesome! i have a feeling i'm going to be one of the only people excited for this, but what the hell, i love synth. that also makes me think we'll be getting more album songs since she didn't have a synth player at her last show (as far as i know, anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^how broad of a sound can you get from a synth? maybe i should stop asking questions and just go youtube it...

either way, i hope it works out! synth + old regi songs = some vveerryy unhappy old-school fans... i consider myself an newcomer to the old-school fandom, but i'm trying not to be a fogey. Like Raph says, maybe it'll be cool! i know some people want to see her do hiphop and other very new styles, and that's all the more likely as she continues to try new things!

this makes me nervous, i must admit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

^just... don't knock it till you hear it, please.

I have already heard what synths sound like. They displease me greatly most of the time. I do not foresee them adding anything to Regina's music.

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

^how broad of a sound can you get from a synth? maybe i should stop asking questions and just go youtube it...

either way, i hope it works out! synth + old regi songs = some vveerryy unhappy old-school fans... i consider myself an newcomer to the old-school fandom, but i'm trying not to be a fogey. Like Raph says, maybe it'll be cool! i know some people want to see her do hiphop and other very new styles, and that's all the more likely as she continues to try new things!

this makes me nervous, i must admit

Synths have quite a broad range of voices.

I generally dislike them. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^oh, dear... well, i go to a school with bagpipes out the wazoo, so a little synth can't be the worst thing to bombard my ears, no matter the sound of it xD

seriously, though, as long as it's tastefully done, we have nothing to worry about. and i'm sure it'll only be for a song or two; she always has simple piano+voice parts in her shows

i just imagined Patron Saint with an electronic voice effect... i hope that's not what we're in for! lol which songs would call for a synth?? Confused

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

^^oh, dear... well, i go to a school with bagpipes out the wazoo, so a little synth can't be the worst thing to bombard my ears, no matter the sound of it xD

seriously, though, as long as it's tastefully done, we have nothing to worry about. and i'm sure it'll only be for a song or two; she always has simple piano+voice parts in her shows

i just imagined Patron Saint with an electronic voice effect... i hope that's not what we're in for! lol which songs would call for a synth?? Confused

First of all, I'm sorry about the bagpipes, lol.

Second of all, with the last section of your post, you have just hit the nail on the head of why I think a synth doesn't bode well for Regina's show:

With far, whether or not you liked the production of the album, the songs took on a very different sound live in concert because of the instrumentation, with the strings and drums in addition to Regina's piano and voice. If there's going to by a synth player on stage, it's likely to recreate the sound (i.e. complete with cheesy electronic noises that tend to mar studio versions of songs, and not just Regina's) of the album live, which is not why I go to concerts. I go to concerts to hear the artist reinterpret themselves live, not to listen to a sonic carbon copy of what's on the record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in the Sounds:

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

^just... don't knock it till you hear it, please.

I have already heard what synths sound like. They displease me greatly most of the time. I do not foresee them adding anything to Regina's music.

And all I'm saying is wait to hear what she does with it. Regina's an amazing artist who I'm sure can do wonders with it, not to mention the thousands upon thousands of different sounds you can create. Have a little faith.

quote:
^how broad of a sound can you get from a synth? maybe i should stop asking questions and just go youtube it...

Synth can go from this:

To this:

And then to this:

There's a huge wide range out there. And keep in mind, I'm not trying to say these are "good", I'm just trying to show the contrast between them all. I have a feeling Regina's synth could show an even larger contrast to these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^eh, that sound always irritates me; it makes me think of crowded parties that smell like beer and weed and too many people sweating on each other (college life..)

but i can see where some cool things could be done with it, especially on that last song, where it's used with other kinds of sounds Smiler

thanks, Raph! you're so helpful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this