dentistgirl

2012 US Tour

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in the Sounds:

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

^just... don't knock it till you hear it, please.

I have already heard what synths sound like. They displease me greatly most of the time. I do not foresee them adding anything to Regina's music.

And all I'm saying is wait to hear what she does with it. Regina's an amazing artist who I'm sure can do wonders with it, not to mention the thousands upon thousands of different sounds you can create. Have a little faith.

I certainly hope it sounds good.

The thing that bothers me is that Regina is not going to be playing it, someone else will. I feel differently about her hiring people to play instruments that she herself cannot play, like cello or violin or what have you, but hiring someone to play an instrument she is very capable of playing weirds me out a little. I understand that it's not possible for her to play all the parts at once, but this is where my concern about her concert turning into an hour and a half of 'recreating the album' comes in. Sometimes in concert, less is more.

that makes sense. At least she seems to be in control of arrangements on her stuff, so even if the synth's part isn't straight out of her brain, it's still got her seal of approval.

I'm trying to keep an open mind. i think it'll work out in the long run. I hope it comes out as something you like, LitS! Smiler

p.s. 1 month 5 days til i leave for the CONCERT xD

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

http://littlegreygirlfriend.co...with-regina-spektor/

Regina didn't have a synth player on either far or BTH tour, did she?

UGH.

This does not bode well.

Oh WOW. Sooo utterly freaky. I randomly went to see that band in NY one night last year for something to do. They were decent, but really the keyboard guy was the best thing about it. I was kind of entranced by him. He also played for the guy who "opened" for them (who i hated, so maybe it was a defense mechanism looking at the keyboardist). Although, I did think he was kinda cute in a nerdy way, but I think he's engaged to the girl in their band. Anyway... he's good.

Nevertheless, the prospect of a synth player on reg's tour still scares me a lot. But, whatever, no choice but to hope for the best, and take it all in stride.

quote:

First of all, I'm sorry about the bagpipes, lol.

Second of all, with the last section of your post, you have just hit the nail on the head of why I think a synth doesn't bode well for Regina's show:

With far, whether or not you liked the production of the album, the songs took on a very different sound live in concert because of the instrumentation, with the strings and drums in addition to Regina's piano and voice. If there's going to by a synth player on stage, it's likely to recreate the sound (i.e. complete with cheesy electronic noises that tend to mar studio versions of songs, and not just Regina's) of the album live, which is not why I go to concerts. I go to concerts to hear the artist reinterpret themselves live, not to listen to a sonic carbon copy of what's on the record.

I somehow totally missed this post, sorry. D:

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

that makes sense. At least she seems to be in control of arrangements on her stuff, so even if the synth's part isn't straight out of her brain, it's still got her seal of approval.

I'm trying to keep an open mind. i think it'll work out in the long run. I hope it comes out as something you like, LitS! Smiler

p.s. 1 month 5 days til i leave for the CONCERT xD

Haha I leave tomorrow Razzer

I hope the synth player is included until her tour with Tom Petty and the show at the Wellmont tomorrow is kept pure. Although I like synth, (synth pop is practically the mainstream pop genere I like) I want Regina's live performances to be special, as what someone already pointed out.

I'll withold judgement until I hear it, but I'm not hopeful. I tend toward raw, unadorned music played by bands on guitars, basses, pianos, and drums. Any more than one keyboard involved is usually a bad sign, IMHO.

My favorite bands are old-school groups that blew the roof off the joint live: The Who, The Replacements, The Stooges, etc. (Yes, I know The Who used synthesisers occasionally, but rarely - listen to Live at Leeds if you like blistering live rock 'n' roll. And, yes, I'm kinda old.) Also,three-piece (piano, bass, drums) jazz, etc. (As to other female singer-songwriters, I think Feist and her albums are fantastic.)

That's probably why I tend to prefer Regina's earlier, less-produced stuff and why I prefer when she performs with just a piano live. Awesomely talented artist, piano and occasional bass, drum, etc. is right up my alley.