Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin Franklin

Cheap seats my arse

I haven't been to any shows yet, but I've purchased tickets to the Montclair nj show and the NYC show in may. The Montclair cost me a total $45, including tax and whichever other fee's. Today, I was able to catch the presale for the NYC show, which cost me a total of $85.

I only work part time and saving for an apartment, so this alone took out -half of my paycheck. Won't be able to pay for my phone this month.

I adore Regina, I really do, but this seats aren't cheap!

Regardless, I know I'll always buy any tickets for shows in my area haha.

Three standing tickets for Manchester (UK) cost me £84.75 including all fees, and If we can get there early enough we should be stood at the barrier directly in front of the stage. Seats are always a last resort for me.

I can reel off a list of bands and artists who have performed at the Apollo in the last twelve months, and some of the tickets cost an awful lot more while some of them charged a little bit less. A cinema not too far from me on the other hand, recently opened an Imax screen. A seat to watch a 3D film there will set you back just under £15.

Some people go to the cinema every week, and they'll often go purely on the basis that 'There's nothing else on, so we'll go and watch...' whatever. Going to watch an artist - like Regina Spektor - is meant to be something you do every couple of years when he or she tours. I don't think £28 to watch a real live person - rather than a gigantic DVD - is particularly outrageous.

Hi! Please don't be mad about ticket prices, as you are in quite good situation comparing to mine! Smiler Poland so far isn't included in a tour, so I HAVE to travel to Berlin to see her again. Whole trip will cost me over a half of my monthly income (sadly Polish and German wages and prices are just incomparable). So those aren't cheap seats for me also, but I have no dobuts that it's worth it! Smiler

To Richard - fair point, Manchester Academy is an OK venue for getting close to the artist, and the tickets are not *too* badly priced, I concede, relative to some gigs these days. It was a general moan about ticket prices, rather than a moan specifically at Regina Spektor.

I just undermined my own argument by paying just shy of 60 quid for two tickets to see Tricky and Martina Topley-Bird perform the Maxinquaye album in its entirety at Manchester Academy (April 28th)!!!

Ticket prices are something which regularly get discussed on another forum I visit, and the general consensus seems to be "what the hell is going on in the world, when it costs more than a weeks income for a family of four to go and watch a band play in an Arena so large you have to watch the action on a video screen...". At those times however, we tend to be referring to the likes of Radiohead (£75 a ticket or thereabouts, plus petrol, plus parking). Once you get into Madonna or Paul McCartney territory, you can forget a weeks wages and you can sometimes double that figure.

Even the comedic flavour of the month - currently John Bishop, but does anyone remember Russell Howard? No, me neither - is asking for £35 to sit and watch him tell jokes on a giant television.

So I guess that what I am saying is despite everything, Regina Spektor is still a bargain on so many levels. In terms of cost she's right down there well below an unfunny Scouser with an annoying delivery, and in terms of accessibility she's way up ahead of the most tuneless TV Talent Show contestants. I mean, come on, who could have foreseen the day when it was harder to get up close to an X factor runner up singing cover versions of songs you don't even want to hear done by the original artist, than to see a bona fide singer songwriter with a string of acclaimed albums to her credit?

Regina's coming to Finland and I was sooo happy until I saw the price of a ticket... 52€ is a lot for a broke student who doesn't even know whether she has a job for summer or not. I didn't realise Regina's so big in Finland already! I don't know what to do. I wish the money would just magically fall from the sky.

rainna, I feel so sorry for you!

I hope you will find a summer job. Or.. Maybe you can make extra money: sell something you don't need, do freelance work such as baby sitting, pet sitting.. I don't know.

I hope things will sort themselves out in the end!