jesse

CUT OFF MY HAIR DEMO ("party song") / "Unknown Album (9/22/2004 11:14:44 AM)" / Demos

quote:
Originally posted by tourniquet737:

lol @ people pretending they're ~elite~ for having a "rare" recording

if that's what gets you off, you have a pretty pathetic life

edit: just did some digging....could this be the loveology "demo?"

honestly? :\

quote:

Do you not notice the irony? :P

quote:
Originally posted by jesse:

quote:

I completely understand being an audiophile. Being insufferable? Not so much.

Like any real-world resource, if it's rare it's worth more and is "special." That said, I don't understand hoarding the recordings. Back in the 2000s I transcribed a ton of Regina songs...not because I wanted to be elite and have sheet music (I couldn't even play piano then), but because the Regina community wanted access to sheets. While this is an apple-to-oranges argument, I don't see how Regina fans wouldn't want to help other Regina fans.

I wrote my senior thesis on Regina's views on Werktreue. She said her songs "have nothing to do with me. I'm just a name. I'm either useful or not." She's also said "...it's a very hard life I've been living the past couple of years. I hate to say that, because there's a reason why you try to make music—you want to put it out there for people to hear..."

Regina makes her music for fans to hear. She openly encourages recording during her performances (with the rare exception of the "Dulce"/"OMTWF"/'99 Demo Tape moments when she asked them not to be shared). We know she doesn't like her early albums, but she still wants us to hear them. This couldn't be more evident than in the fact that most of her albums contain old "live only" songs ("you always feel some sort of relief when you record one of the older songs because [it’s] like, 'oh, you've been patiently waiting your turn.'")

In fact, I think Regina herself would look down on these "elite" music hoarders. When asked about the criticism she received for rerecording "Samson," she said “I'm very unimpressed by purists. I'm like, 'Would you be the person in the room that would boo when Dylan went electric?' I know I wouldn't.” I'm pretty sure she'd be unimpressed with the hoarding.

Heck, she even says her recordings are meant to be shared. “I will have this moment of my life captured, and not just in my own memories, but in a way that can be shared with others.”

The first time I met her, I even asked if she cared I was transcribing her music and sharing it in that Yahoo group. She said she thought it was great that her fans were sharing her music and she loved that we were doing it. I can only assume the demos could fall under the same thinking.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to understand why there as to be an inner circle of fans. Trading mp3 files like precious medals is fine and good, but I'd love to have some insight on the process.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I completely understand being an audiophile. Being insufferable? Not so much.

Like any real-world resource, if it's rare it's worth more and is "special." That said, I don't understand hoarding the recordings. Back in the 2000s I transcribed a ton of Regina songs...not because I wanted to be elite and have sheet music (I couldn't even play piano then), but because the Regina community wanted access to sheets. While this is an apple-to-oranges argument, I don't see how Regina fans wouldn't want to help other Regina fans.

I wrote my senior thesis on Regina's views on Werktreue. She said her songs "have nothing to do with me. I'm just a name. I'm either useful or not." She's also said "...it's a very hard life I've been living the past couple of years. I hate to say that, because there's a reason why you try to make music—you want to put it out there for people to hear..."

Regina makes her music for fans to hear. She openly encourages recording during her performances (with the rare exception of the "Dulce"/"OMTWF"/'99 Demo Tape moments when she asked them not to be shared). We know she doesn't like her early albums, but she still wants us to hear them. This couldn't be more evident than in the fact that most of her albums contain old "live only" songs ("you always feel some sort of relief when you record one of the older songs because [it’s] like, 'oh, you've been patiently waiting your turn.'")

In fact, I think Regina herself would look down on these "elite" music hoarders. When asked about the criticism she received for rerecording "Samson," she said “I'm very unimpressed by purists. I'm like, 'Would you be the person in the room that would boo when Dylan went electric?' I know I wouldn't.” I'm pretty sure she'd be unimpressed with the hoarding.

Heck, she even says her recordings are meant to be shared. “I will have this moment of my life captured, and not just in my own memories, but in a way that can be shared with others.”

The first time I met her, I even asked if she cared I was transcribing her music and sharing it in that Yahoo group. She said she thought it was great that her fans were sharing her music and she loved that we were doing it. I can only assume the demos could fall under the same thinking.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to understand why there as to be an inner circle of fans. Trading mp3 files like precious medals is fine and good, but I'd love to have some insight on the process.

i was commenting on your "joke," which literally would annoy everyone EXCEPT the people you disapprove of

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SchoolIsOut:

And does a demo of "Lady" exist that we know of?

as far as i'm concerned, a demo of lady HAS to exist; it was written in the late 90's and then was never played, and appeared in 2006. regina archived songs that were staples of her setlists (samson, baobabs, etc.) so something like lady has to exist in demo form, somewhere.

The length of the Lady demo posted doesn't quite match the album versions length so it may be legit.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by RealReality:

quote:

the youtuber doesn't know what he's talking about, and has nothing rare. he has the fan-made compilation "demo cassette" which has been floating around for YEARS.

Yeah but with one of the songs listed as 'Jessica' I agree with reginapolis/Aly that the person is probably a fake account trolling people.

i just mean the eprson on youtuber with the "loveology demo"

Did you find that out by talking to them?

EDIT: Grinch is a grinch.

This is why:

"It's from a demo cassette that I found, and the only way you will get it from me is trading for it!

What do you to trade for it? I don't give out songs! Sorry!"

They just told me now that it's 5:38 long, which we already know, right?

I have to admit, I find this "treasure hunting" to be pretty entertaining, even if it's a generally negative experience.

It would be amazing if we got the Loveology demo. I'd be without words.

I found it on Grooveshark :roll eyes: I looked into the files info and it says it was recorded in 2001. She sounds young but I didn't think the song was that old.