jesse

CUT OFF MY HAIR DEMO ("party song") / "Unknown Album (9/22/2004 11:14:44 AM)" / Demos

quote:
Originally posted by grinch2466:

I just decided to make this account so I can tell you that I did NOT put live recordings in a folder just to email them to you! I said I was new to the music of Regina Spektor, and you have RIPPED me apart here.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. People get too eager. I feel so bad that you got offended and accused. I think sometimes people forget there's a person behind the username. I think the discussion here has gotten very hostile and I have not wanted to participate in it at this point. But I feel that you need an apology. So I'm sorry. Usually this place is filled with love and consideration. I'm so glad you've discovered Regina. She is an awesome musician and artist and person. I hope this doesn't stop you from listening. We want to find stuff and people are angry with "hoarders". I'm sorry you got caught in the middle and I think it was brave of you to make an account and not yell and throw stuff back.

And stixers. I hope this post doesn't offend you in any way. You have to agree that the discussion has been a bit harsh. I don't mean to throw accusations on anyone. I just feel that the vibe had been a little negative. I hope I'm not overreacting. And if I am, just ignore me. I still think it's too bad someone got sad.

sweetness in my lungs, thank you! There was a total of 3 people who emailed me on youtube last night. I was told by one of them that they were just a bunch of songs and whoever decide to put demo cassette on the title. ( you know who you are ) and one person already said they got the files from me.

But after getting the first email. I'm sorry but the way I was treated who would wanna share. Now I'm getting the accusations that I put live songs and claimed that they were demos. Who does that? I know I WOULDN'T! After all this happened it makes me NOT want to be a fan of Regina Spektor!

Woah, that must have come across quite overwhelming, grinch2466. Frowner I certainly hope you do want to be a Regina fan, after all she can't help that so many of us want to listen to her demos! She's a really talented musician and that's why we're so eager to find them. Mostly the community here is pretty cool and helpful so I hope you'll stick around.

^^I think we take for granted that regina has such an open attitude about sharing her music, to the point that we are rude and demanding of people who are not as open about it. I've felt this myself, and i see it in others' posts.

File trading has been an accepted part of fandom for, like, ever (like when regina was in russia and sharing beatles tapes and other banned music!) She wants things to be open, and so do we, but i guess everyone doesn't feel the same way necessarily.

Grinch, you seem like a reasonable person, and i agree with sweetness: there is a frustration at the thought that we're missing out on rare tracks. I think that comes from the fact that we think we're "worthy" or every bit as deserving as other fans to have the tracks. But the system is in place, and as jesse said, it's not always about the attitudes of the people who are sharing, it's more an acceptance that bartering is important when it comes to rare information.

I'm sorry, too, grinch that people's frustration got thrown your way personally! the frustration is with a system, not with a person; at least that's how i'm understanding it.

I hope you can brush it off, and understand that the hostility is out of eagerness for new regina music, and not because anyone thinks you have deserved it. I mean, you like her music, too, so i guess on some level you can understand the excitement; i'm just sorry that your first encounter with this (usually loving) forum has been with an accidental label of "public enemy number 1," rather than "fellow fan who likes music." Frowner

The people PM'ing you aren't even mean or vindictive. they just had a wrong impression of your intentions, if i'm understanding correctly. I hope you can forgive any mistakes or misunderstandings! We all make mistakes, and i'm sorry for any that were made in your direction!

To the people who PM'ed: i don't want to put words in your mouth. But i hope this can be a learning experience, that the claws don't have to come out straight away, if at all! A person should feel respected and included along with yout fandom, not demanded of, or oherwise treated like a criminal. It seems grinch's feelings were hurt, and i'm sorry to see that. This forum is better than that, so either grinch is lying about your approach (doubtful) or people are so mad at "the man" that we can't respekt other fans. Not cool!

And i don't mean to seem above it all, because like i said, i understand the frustration and even hostility. It feels unfair. But try not to take "injustice" against the average fan as victimization at the hands of the people who have the songs. A little perspective needs to be gotten, and grinch's post did that for me.

In short, i'm setting aside the torch and pitchfork and trying to be more understanding of the people who have these files.

Sorry again, grinch.

And sorry to everyone whose eyes teared up at the sheer length of this post! I'm like someone's grandpa.. i need to shorten these posts!

Grinch! Yeah. I think all of us would like a second chance with you. You can always stick around and post and read. You are very welcome here.

It's just that some people do label things incorrectly just to stir things up. I don't think anyone meant to accuse you by saying that maybe you (who we didn't know at the time) labeled them "demos" when they were live. That post ended with "I joke, conspiracy theories are always good fun lol". I'm sure it was nothing against you personally. I'm still sorry things turned out this way. I get that you are upset.

Would you want to explain why you didn't want to trade with us in the first place? And why you wanted to trade stuff for something else instead of just giving away? I would want to hear why. If you feel like explaining.

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

I hope you can brush it off, and understand that the hostility is out of eagerness for new regina music, and not because anyone thinks you have deserved it. I mean, you like her music, too, so i guess on some level you can understand the excitement; i'm just sorry that your first encounter with this (usually loving) forum has been with an accidental label of "public enemy number 1," rather than "fellow fan who likes music." Frowner

The people PM'ing you aren't even mean or vindictive. they just had a wrong impression of your intentions, if i'm understanding correctly. I hope you can forgive any mistakes or misunderstandings! We all make mistakes, and i'm sorry for any that were made in your direction!

To the people who PM'ed: i don't want to put words in your mouth. But i hope this can be a learning experience, that the claws don't have to come out straight away, if at all! A person should feel respected and included along with yout fandom, not demanded of, or oherwise treated like a criminal. It seems grinch's feelings were hurt, and i'm sorry to see that. This forum is better than that, so either grinch is lying about your approach (doubtful) or people are so mad at "the man" that we can't respekt other fans. Not cool!

Both you and sweetness raise several excellent points. As a fan, I completely understand why people are so eager to hear these demos, and the frustration that comes with knowing that others might have them and are hoarding. Even more frustrating is that people seem to be setting up fake last.fm profiles and scrobbling fake songs just to mess with people's heads.

However, we all have to think more rationally here and not be so quick to jump to conclusions about people. As someone who was unfairly attacked at the beginning of this thread, I was very hesitant to join the forum, because most people seemed so hostile. Often it's all just a huge misunderstanding though, and most people here have the very best of intentions, and are generally welcoming. Sometimes first impressions are not always accurate. I think the lesson here is to try to be nicer to people, even those that appear to be scummy, because you don't want to unintentionally scare off new fans or existing ones.

Also, there's a link to this forum on Regina's main site, so it's now getting a lot of attention. We all have to try to be on our best behavior! Smiler

I'm pretty sure it was the first person who emailed me on youtube. I'm assuming that you are on this board since you so kindly gave me a link to this page.

Well this person claims to have 50 Lana Del Rey songs and demos. ( or even more ) They told me that this demo cassette was probably just someone had put together with live recordings. I just didn't want people to think that I was out to SCAM anyone, and that is WHY I changed my mind about trading them.

I finally decided to pm someone that probably would know more about the Regina songs than I do. Yes the person pm'ed me on youtube, and I decided that I could be nice enough to send that person the files to check them out for me, and come to find out you guys already had the files.

A lot of unreleased regina recordings (many from live concerts and radio performances) get traded off as "Demos." I have downloaded countless torrents claiming to have "loveology (demo)" when it is nothing more than a live recording, complete with applause at the end.

the people on this forum are looking for the studio demo recordings of a couple songs. they are in high demand, which explains why people act out of line when they are mentioned...

sorry for all this trouble, grinch!

FOR THE RECORD:

There is a *FAN-MADE* "album" titled "Demo Cassette" which was compiled in 2006 or prior. It is a collection of LIVE RECORDINGS and LEAKED DEMOS. It was uploaded to file sharing websites.

It does NOT REPRESENT AN ACTUAL ALBUM OR SET OF SONGS.

edit: and also, grinch has literally said that he was "accused of having a live recording instead of a demo," which was true, while trying to trade around regina songs. i don't think anyone responded unfairly to be honest.