jesse

CUT OFF MY HAIR DEMO ("party song") / "Unknown Album (9/22/2004 11:14:44 AM)" / Demos

No more arguing. the rest of us have spoken, and if you want to be back and forth, then please go do it on youtube where it belongs, not here on brumstix.

Jesse, grinch made a mistake, and please let it go

Grinch, anyone not wanting to let it go does not speak for this whole forum.

Now please, kiss and make up, or at least go flamewar someplace else!

i agree with bum bum bum: if open discussion of all this stuff is going to make dialogues like this one more common, then let's just not talk about it unless something new is found. Cool

Dear Brumstix,

I am the YouTube user who had the video offering "Rare" Regina Spektor songs--which I knew were really not that rare, but just unreleased. I apologize for upsetting the Regina community, and the actions of some kind people lately have made me reconsider trading as a whole.

"Trading" is, in a strong sense, a very "elitist" practice--not because you think yourself to be any "better" than anyone else, but just because your blessing in having whatever "rare" songs you do gives you status.

I started out trading because I became a fan of a singer named Neon Hitch. As an artist, a great deal of her songs have gone underground, and thus I sought out someone on YouTube who was willing to share some of them with me. After this, I decided to "trade" in my own right, and was interesting in locating any more songs by her.

But if you think about it, 95% of the "rare" music out there is only available because some kind person was willing to share it. Thus, why would someone hold music back to keep it from others? The answer, I think, is a mixture of fear (of loss of power) and a sense of greed (I found it, it's mine!).

But this does not appeal to me. I am SO SORRY if this mislead any of you! Frowner With the example of people like "jesse" and "Kb93," I have decided to be both less withholding and more free with my music.

Again, I am SO, SO SORRY for disrupting Regina's community, and am now very pleased to join in my own right.

--"AdlerOfBirds"

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

i agree with bum bum bum: if open discussion of all this stuff is going to make dialogues like this one more common, then let's just not talk about it unless something new is found. Cool

That is not a healthy approach! This is what I was talking about - we need to have an open discussion even if an aspect of it makes people uncomfortable otherwise we end up with bottled up issued like the 1999 demo tape and a shallow pseudo-discussion with everybody agreeing with everybody for the sake of being friendly. We cannot claim Stix is a friendly and welcoming place if we basically shut down anything that doesn't suit the imagined vibe of this place. It makes people apologize all the time for stating their opinions; it makes people leave. And if you think about it, the people who leave after encountering this hypocrisy we cultivate here would enrich this community by being proactive and real. Also if somebody told me to stop talking about the demos and I ultimately found something interesting I would not share it with such a community.

Saying "let's not talk about it unless something new is found" is a form of hypocrisy because you basically do not want to know how the person found it (harassing people on youtube and dealing with possible consequences, exchange info about progress etc.) but you would still like to reap the harvest, so to speak. I see only two possible outcomes: this whole issue is shut down and people interested in pursuing it further will move to create their own "secret" channels and Stix will never hear those songs even if they are uncovered by said individuals, or we act like adults and let this forum truly be a welcoming and friendly place to all.

Anyway, hi Brianna! Please do not take it personally, you are not the only person here with this view...Plus I know you are a wonderful and open person capable of rational reflection so I can be honest with you.

^Yaaay! welcome, what's a pound of flesh! No hard feelings, of course Smiler

Radka: i see your point; maybe i should have been clearer in my focus in that post. I didn't mean we should hide details or even discussion, just that there's a difference between productive conversation, and a standstill with people bashing each other back and forth. The tone, and this is just my opinion, of the conversations that have taken place (most recently between grinch and jesse, but that's just one example) resembles that of youtube commenters. Sometimes we get to a point where it' one view versus another. that's acceptable, and up to that point, i think it's good to keep talking. it refines ideas and opinions. but when you do reach the point where "you shouldn't have done that," and "i didn't mean any harm" "you still should not have done it" "get off my back" and on and on... that's just annoying and negative without being productive.

That's the kind of discussion i was referring to. i appreciate hearing people disagree with each other and with me, because we all have brains. what i don't appreciate is when brains are on the shelf and people are being disagreeable for no reason, and it can lead to lasting bad blood between people who should have been getting along. So, i certainly don't encourage the suppression of debate, of conversation, of discussion. I do support the silencing of noisiness, and that's where we'd gotten to in this thread. I should have elaborated, though.

i understand your frustration: it doesn't matter that we're in "happyland" if the only way to get there is to pretend the happiness. Maybe people are too sensitive to the collective feelings of "the stix," as though this were a kid sibling we have to guard, rather than a collection of fellow fans... and let's be honest, most users here have pretty thick skin! I do think we should wait to "jump down someone's throat" until we have some kind of relationship established, if that makes sense. There are different tones to be used between acquaintances and strangers, and i think it's important to define which is appropriate on a case-by-case basis.