jesse

CUT OFF MY HAIR DEMO ("party song") / "Unknown Album (9/22/2004 11:14:44 AM)" / Demos

quote:
Originally posted by benmoody0220:

It is very sad. I only hoard the Amanda songs cause she's asked people not to post them online (and of course I had to have them), but I share them with my friends and anyone who might ask. The other reason is, cause they're useful to trade with people to get certain tracks. If this "thecalculation" on last.fm is an Amanda fan (anyone know?) I could offer a trade in return for those Regina tracks I have (i know they share a lot of fans). Anyone know? I'm more than happy to help.

I (Aly) own "thecalculation" last.fm account, and like I posted before, stuff on last.fm is not always what it seems (which is why people should ask before accusing). The tracks that were scrobbled as "Demos" are the same tracks that everyone has. Here's a zip of the Demos folder from my iTunes library:

http://www.mediafire.com/?h9g4fhcqyaxicw7

I labeled these tracks as "Demos" for personal reasons, as a way of organizing my own library, which is very messy at the moment, due to having changed computers twice in the last year and re-importing things. They were not meant to confuse anyone and I certainly didn't think they'd become a matter of public speculation. It would've probably been more accurate to label some of these "Live", but again, this is from my personal library and my own way of organizing songs. Sorry to everyone for the confusion!! Frowner

Although there are demos of these live songs out there somewhere, I don't have them and I'm certainly not into hoarding. I'm also not into the business of "trading" things. I give freely without asking or expecting anything in return. People email me all the time asking for things like Marina & the Diamonds demos, and Lana Del Rey demos and I give these freely. There are quite a few people who can attest to this.

I draw the line at sharing demos of things that an artist specifically doesn't want out, and I don't support leaks. As hungry as people are for new content, this should always be respected. When the first Beauty song leaked a few months ago, we reblogged it on Tumblr from someone who had originally posted it. Thought it was just a harmless, random demo. Quite a few other Regina Tumblrs reblogged the original post as well. The next thing we knew, ConsequenceofSongs.net is posting an article on their website claiming that we're "streaming" a Beauty song, with a link to our Tumblr in the article. We were really confused about that, because we hadn't actually posted the leak, wasn't completely sure that it was a leak, but it was later revealed to be a leak. So we deleted the reblog and vowed never to reblog anything that had sketchy origins, just out of respect for the artist and all the hard work put in, because no one wants to be associated with a leak. Sorry to be rambling, but this is something that really bothered me and wanted to clear that up.

To anyone that might have those much sought after Regina demos: please share! What fun is it keeping it to yourself when there are so many people who should be enjoying it too?!

quote:
Originally posted by SchoolIsOut:

As far as "I Cut Off My Hair" being "The Party" on WWSFTCS, I tweeted to Reginapolis about it and here's what they had to say:

"@mouseology No, it won't be! "The Party" is a new song. If it was the same song, there would've been copyright removals already! :-)"

If that's the case, then I'm not as heartbroken as I would've been, cause now we have this super amazing demo version Smiler

I don't understand the Reginapolis answer. Ne Me Quitte Pas and All the Rowboats have escaped the copyright removal issue. The way i see it, WB has put copyright claims in on unauthorized "leaks" and personal photographs which Regina asked to be keep private. She has never tried to stomp on personal recordings or any of the other theoretical copyright violations that are all over these websites.

I hope The Party is a new song, because I want new songs, but she has been so busy the last few years, it is hard to imagine when he would have had the time. I love the song we called "cut ff my hair" and would love to hear a produced version.

quote:
Originally posted by Barth:

quote:

As far as "I Cut Off My Hair" being "The Party" on WWSFTCS, I tweeted to Reginapolis about it and here's what they had to say:

"@mouseology No, it won't be! "The Party" is a new song. If it was the same song, there would've been copyright removals already! :-)"

If that's the case, then I'm not as heartbroken as I would've been, cause now we have this super amazing demo version Smiler

I don't understand the Reginapolis answer. Ne Me Quitte Pas and All the Rowboats have escaped the copyright removal issue. The way i see it, WB has put copyright claims in on unauthorized "leaks" and personal photographs which Regina asked to be keep private. She has never tried to stomp on personal recordings or any of the other theoretical copyright violations that are all over these websites.

I hope The Party is a new song, because I want new songs, but she has been so busy the last few years, it is hard to imagine when he would have had the time. I love the song we called "cut ff my hair" and would love to hear a produced version.

Actually, there has been a lot of confusion over what's allowed and what isn't. It seems like Warner can remove anything Regina-related at any time, even things they likely don't own the copyrights to. Tumblr forwarded one of their removal complaints to us, and a lot of the urls that Warner requested to be removed were quite ridiculous, and a lot of it was stuff that we never even posted, but stuff that was posted by others. Example, things like gifs of the Dance Anthem video, gifs of other videos that were released years ago and which have been floating around for awhile. Why would they even want to remove something like that? So it seemed that someone at Warner simply pasted in a bunch of random urls into a form, and requested that they be removed. There was nothing about the wedding photos, which were posted by other people. For awhile they were removing things like live songs that have been online for years. So this is specifically about Warner trying to control Regina content on Tumblr and other sites, and has nothing to do with us at all.

One other thing that was confusing is that a few months ago, we posted a photo that we had PURCHASED from a photo licensing agency, of Regina holding a black dog. This photo, although not belonging to Warner, although purchased by us for specific use on our blog, and by purchasing, had the rights to use, was also removed for copyright violation with the bulk of other random urls they (Warner) sent to Tumblr.

Also, we reasoned that I Cut off my Hair is not "The Party", because if it was, this new demo would've been removed for copyright reasons, as other demos have been removed (most recently the demo of Baby Jesus - very confusing). There have also been live versions of songs that have been removed from Tumblr.

It's really not a major issue, though. People just have to be careful what they share on Tumblr, and we have not received any additional copyright complaints (knock on wood).

quote:
Originally posted by Barth:

quote:

maybe you don't pay much attention to tumblr...because this is not true at all. there are a few reg fan blogs who got copyright removals for posting live songs or what you refer to as "personal recordings". there is an ongoing war between warner and tumblr. they can remove anything at anytime and often abuse that power like all other labels. alot of times the artists dont even authorize the removals...the labels act on their behalf.

Okay so like others I have been doing some research and I stumbled across this user/video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...T8yGLtC-FTu8eyDjDuk=

Now unfortunately all the Regina tracks this user has (in description) are pretty common and aren't exactly rare. However if you look at one of the comments they have replied to (Grinch2466 ) that person has something very interesting to say:

@AlderOfBirds, I have these Regina Spektor demos Loveology, Raindrops, Uh-Merica and Scarecrow & Fungas. I am interested in Lana Del Rey demos Born To Die, National Anthem, This Is What Makes Us Girls and the other Diet Mountaun Dew. I am also interested in the Katy Perry Part Of Me ( demo ).

Now this could be a false alarm but definitely a lead to follow (I've sent a comment just now but obviously no reply yet).

Btw that whole video/comment really pisses me off considering a lot of those songs (like Regina's) have been cleared by the artist as fine to share, so this hoarding and secretive sharing just seems so pathetic. I won't go into it any further but the comments above sum up my feelings perfectly.

EDIT: ooh excuse me for skim reading, but the user from the link actually does have some rare songs (If I'm not mistaken ofc)

Full list:

Regina Spektor:

• Chemo Limo (Demo)

Left Hand Song (Live)

Baobabs (Demo)

Music Box (Demo)

Carbon Monoxide (Demo)

20 Years of Snow (Demo)

Time Is All Around (White Sessions)

Folding Chair (White Sessions)

Sailor Song (White Sessions)

Bobbin' for Apples (White Sessions)

Ghost of Corporate Future (Demo)

The Sword and the Pen (Acoustic)

In the Dead of Night {RARE!}

Pure Perfection

Baby Jesus (Studio Version)

Dance Anthem of the 80s (Bodytime Remix)

Back In

quote:
Originally posted by RealReality:

Okay so like others I have been doing some research and I stumbled across this user/video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...T8yGLtC-FTu8eyDjDuk=

Now unfortunately all the Regina tracks this user has (in description) are pretty common and aren't exactly rare. However if you look at one of the comments they have replied to (Grinch2466 ) that person has something very interesting to say:

@AlderOfBirds, I have these Regina Spektor demos Loveology, Raindrops, Uh-Merica and Scarecrow & Fungas. I am interested in Lana Del Rey demos Born To Die, National Anthem, This Is What Makes Us Girls and the other Diet Mountaun Dew. I am also interested in the Katy Perry Part Of Me ( demo ).

Now this could be a false alarm but definitely a lead to follow (I've sent a comment just now but obviously no reply yet).

Btw that whole video/comment really pisses me off considering a lot of those songs (like Regina's) have been cleared by the artist as fine to share, so this hoarding and secretive sharing just seems so pathetic. I won't go into it any further but the comments above sum up my feelings perfectly.

unfortunately, the reality is that often a lot of work goes into getting secret unreleased songs, and once you get them, it can be part to want to part with them for free. the only time there can be an ideal way of managing this problem is if you know, for a fact, what is out there and have a specific goal. if you're collecting unreleased songs and trading them so that you can get "everything" and then leak it all at once, it'll never happen if you don't know everything you're looking for, because you'll always wonder "what if?" and on the other hand, if you leak something rare, it loses any trading value, and someone who has that rare song you want now has no reason to share it. my point is that even people with legitimately good intentions might be guilty of what's ultimately "hoarding" the songs. i do believe that if you know exactly what's out there, though, that it's valid.

^

Man, that's just so wrong!! I was shaking my head the whole time I was reading through lol.

I read through the comments too, and I saw this:

"@AlderOfBirds, Loveology is 5.38 and Uh Merica is 3.19"

Isn't that the length of the version we all have already? So this Grinch2466 might just be claiming the live version is a demo.

Either way, it's unfortunate people have to be so selfish with their music :/

quote:
Originally posted by jesse:

unfortunately, the reality is that often a lot of work goes into getting secret unreleased songs, and once you get them, it can be part to want to part with them for free. the only time there can be an ideal way of managing this problem is if you know, for a fact, what is out there and have a specific goal. if you're collecting unreleased songs and trading them so that you can get "everything" and then leak it all at once, it'll never happen if you don't know everything you're looking for, because you'll always wonder "what if?" and on the other hand, if you leak something rare, it loses any trading value, and someone who has that rare song you want now has no reason to share it. my point is that even people with legitimately good intentions might be guilty of what's ultimately "hoarding" the songs. i do believe that if you know exactly what's out there, though, that it's valid.

Yeah I do see what you're saying. You need to keep some tracks secret in order to get new tracks, but if you obtain all the ones you'll ever want then you'll feel like you can share everything with other people.

Still, when we get people like you who kindly share the rare songs, it's difficult to not feel annoyed at those who keep the songs hidden. (Though I mean the entire system is annoying, rather than individuals who are just joining because they can't fight it).

Speaking of people hoarding rare Regina songs, I have a question. I looove the Spektography youtube channel, so I researched to see where else they'd be on the web. A user who goes by Spektography is on last.fm, and has really rare song titles on their playlist:

http://www.last.fm/user/spekto...laylists/67ms8_demos

A demo of LOVEOLOGY and JESSICA?! wow. A little too hard to believe. I don't know too much about last.fm, but does this look legit or is it one of those times where people just do it to stir things up?? Spektography is a reputable source but who knows if it's even the same person who runs the youtube channel. Idk, this just left me confused.