Sign in to follow this  
RedRyder

2012-05-15 United Palace, Manhattan NYC

this whole experience has been surreal and amazing and incredible in every possible way. i love regina so much, she is such a sweet and kind human being!

lovely to spend another evening with all you stix folks (most of which i assume are still on their way home :P) and redryder! we were all behind you! we saw you with your iPad!

reginafan, she came out at 12:20ish.

quote:
Originally posted by RedRyder:

My will is being heavily tested right now. No re entry and I'm DYING for a

Cigarette Frowner.

Regina, you're totally worth it.

I hear you. The idea of leaving to go to the bathroom, and somehow getting back to my seat was more than I could bear. Even after a wonderful night, I drove for almost two hours before I was able to take care of business that needed tending as jack's set ended.

All worth it. The woman was, as always. simply spectacular for every minute she played.

My account of the night:

After an amazing show, I waited in the lobby for about a half an hour before the theatre staff started kicking us out. I walked around the whole outside of the theatre twice before standing out front for about another 30 minutes. There were others waiting, but in time they all started going home. As I'm walking down the block, I noticed a bunch of people, well only about 20-30, waiting on the street corner, gathered around a door. When I finally got to view into the window of the door, I saw a gathering of about 50 people inside. In the midst of all the assumed press, friends and family, I saw why everyone was gathered there.

There she was in the crowd, greeting everyone inside. I freaked out. After giving up and about to head home, I gained a new hope that it would finally happen. In the next 2 painfully slow hours, the people inside started leaving. She finally catches a glimpse at us and waves, making eye contact with me even. We all wait another 30-40 mins, until she finally comes out to greet the dedicated 20 of us left. My blood started pumping and my heart started beating fast as ever. I finally get my chance and show her the best 4 art pieces that I've done of her, to hear the best criticism anyone has ever given my art. "WOW you're a real talent! You made me look really sharp!" my iPhone was only at about 6% battery life but I didn't care. One of her security guards took the picture for me:

17cf7d23.jpg

The woman that's been my inspiration for months. Regina Spektor.

After the photo, I asked her to sign my iPad. "are you sure? That's pretty permanent haha". I told her, "Oh no I don't care, that's PERFECT" and we shared a laugh.

4688c139.jpg

She gave me the warmest hug I've ever felt. This night/morning will go down as the best of my entire life. I can honestly say that I can die happy now. I will FOREVER be a fan! Someone that'll never sell out and let fame get the best of them. I'm proud to be a fan

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

this whole experience has been surreal and amazing and incredible in every possible way. i love regina so much, she is such a sweet and kind human being!

lovely to spend another evening with all you stix folks (most of which i assume are still on their way home :P) and redryder! we were all behind you! we saw you with your iPad!

reginafan, she came out at 12:20ish.

Haha, I just had to show her my work! I was DETERMINED, and she loved it! The best praise I'll ever receive, and from the woman that I adore the most. Jack is an extremely lucky man. I will personally take care of him if he ever breaks her heart.

Haha, but he's a really nice guy. I felt bad for him though; while we were out waiting for Regina, he received no response from any of us. Hell, even Regis's percussionist was asked for photos and autographs haha.

Oh and here's the set list for the show:

01 - Ain't No Cover

02 - The Calculation

03 - On the Radio

04 - Small Town Moon

05 - Blue Lips

06 - Patron Saint

07 - How

08 - All the Rowboats

09 - Sailor Song

10 - Ballad of the politician 

11 - Call them brothers

12 - Dance anthem of the 80's

13 - Better

14 - Ne me quitte pas

15 - Firewood

16 - Oh Marcelo

17 - Folding chair

18 - Laughing with

19 - Open

20 - The Party

Encore's:

21 - Us

22 - Fidelity

23 - Samson

Just got back from the concert (well, a little bit ago) and just absolutely felt the need to post, especially since my cousin (the girl on the right) and I met Regina!!! After the concert (which was unbelievably great -- seriously one of her best vocal performances IMO and the balance between her and the band was eons better than in Wellmont where I was also at), we waited outside the theatre like RedRyder already explained, and then waited on that street corner with everyone else. No need to rehash everything that's already been said, but Regina was adorable and took time to talk and take pictures with everyone that waited. I told her that I'd learned and play all of her songs on piano and she told me that that was awesome! And here's the picture we took with her... (thanks again to the blonde guy in the above picture that took this for us!)

nv8461.jpg

Oh, one more thing that I thought was really amusing. Right before Call Them Brothers was performed, someone from the (extremely vocal) crowd yelled out "Loveology!!!" and Jack responded "Loveology.. I don't know that one." while Regina smiled. Wink

Okay. Open is officially my fave song from her album. Not unless Jessica dethrones it on the 29th. The background effects are perfectly embedded in the background. I feel like catching my breath as well every time she performs it. I feel like it's beautifully haunting, you know?

Great show per usual. You know it's always special when she performs in the city because she can't help but beam and mention a few times that she's happy to be performing at 'home.' Smiler

Surprisingly, the crowd waiting for her after the show wasn't too many. The 'stix contingent let the other people have their turn first and we were the last that she interacted with. It was all rainbows, hearts, giggles, and all the good stuff there is as each person talked to, and hugged her. I'm really getting good at not dying so much when meeting her. But holy crap, she recognized me and said, "Hey! You're here!" Okay. I'm quite sure there was a millisecond where my brain stopped functioning and couldn't process what normal people would reply. But heeey, I think I pulled it off. Big Grin

I'm gonna have withdrawals now. Both from Regina and the usual 'stixers from these shows. We had a lovely faux-prayer circle formation right there for a while. Haha. Can't promise to upload the vids soon as I have crazy week ahead. I'll post the links when they're ready. I'm glad Greg recorded too! Yay! Smiler

Here's a pic for the night:

[img:left]P1060361.jpg [/img]

This show was really incredible, and even though the setlist was almost identical to the one in Philly a few nights ago, I feel like I just heard something completely unprecedented. The sound in the theater was amazing, and Regina's vocals were absolutely perfect. I recorded the show (as usual), and after a perfunctory listen, I think this recording is going to come out better than the Wellmont or Tower Theater shows.

Jamie and I talked to Jack after show, and he told us that he had designed Regina's new t-shirts (with the exception of the singular red piano key on one of the shirts, which was Regina's contribution). While waiting for Regina, we caught Brad Whiteley (Regina's keyboardist) and his girlfriend Erika Lloyd as they were waiting for a Taxi. We told them we had seen their band "Little Grey Girlfriend" at a tiny basement club on Houston St. last summer. They were very excited about having been recognized as artists of their own, and told us that we had made their night. They introduced us to their guitarist, and we talked with them for a few minutes about the show on Houston, Regina's music, and how two people from the middle of Pennsylvania had ended up at a show by a little band on Manhattan's lower east side.

Almost as soon as we said goodbye to 3/4 of Little Grey Girlfriend, Regina emerged from the venue's side exit to greet her loyal admirers. A non-Brumstix group presented her with a cardboard pickle and giant book titled "Reading Time with Pickle." A dozen or so people were fortunate enough to score a photograph with Regina before she got to us, and when she recognized the group of stixers (many of whom had been at the show on Saturday night), her face lit up with a giant smile. We told her that Brumstix seemed completely ok with the changes she had asked us about in Philly, and she reiterated how happy she was to have our input on the subject.

Betsy's group photo really captures how wonderful the atmosphere was tonight. It was great seeing all of you again, and I can't wait for next time!