Sign in to follow this  
RedRyder

2012-05-15 United Palace, Manhattan NYC

quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Minsky:

Boy, I don't know if I liked this article or not. Some stupid comments, but lots of praise too. It seems the mean comments were a set up for the praise to really be big praise. Like a contrast trick to really show how much he liked the concert. I think that's what he was trying to do.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t...CFB74qNOonvQ&cad=rja

That article hurt my head. A lot of the things he mentions/criticizes ("an ugly as hell black and red dress") are way out of line and completely unnecessary. It's so funny how he butchered a few of her song titles. Wow @ this guy.

quote:
Originally posted by makingstuffup:

quote:

Boy, I don't know if I liked this article or not. Some stupid comments, but lots of praise too. It seems the mean comments were a set up for the praise to really be big praise. Like a contrast trick to really show how much he liked the concert. I think that's what he was trying to do.

That article hurt my head. A lot of the things he mentions/criticizes ("an ugly as hell black and red dress") are way out of line and completely unnecessary. It's so funny how he butchered a few of her song titles. Wow @ this guy.

a terrible first song she has been trotting out for a month

A month???? hahahaha try like 5 years.

his a new song called "How" is among her best ever... a potential inclusion into the Great American Songbook...this song is so beautiful, it is immediately one of her greatest moments.

With all due respect to regina and How, this guy is on crack.

I would be pretty sure that a woman who starts a love song with "We were like sisters…" is playing hide in plain sight.

Good thing those aren't actually the lyrics then.

OMG people cannot write worth shit. I hope this guy didn't get paid for this horrid piece of english and non-factchecked thing. Dear God. I don't care if you're critical but try to use some grammar and punctuation and knowledge. The Calculator...LOL ok...i'm done now...bahahaha can anyone take that seriously???

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

quote:
Originally posted by makingstuffup:

quote:

A month???? hahahaha try like 5 years.

his a new song called "How" is among her best ever... a potential inclusion into the Great American Songbook...this song is so beautiful, it is immediately one of her greatest moments.

With all due respect to regina and How, this guy is on crack.

I would be pretty sure that a woman who starts a love song with "We were like sisters…" is playing hide in plain sight.

Good thing those aren't actually the lyrics then.

OMG people cannot write worth shit. I hope this guy didn't get paid for this horrid piece of english and non-factchecked thing. Dear God. I don't care if you're critical but try to use some grammar and punctuation and knowledge. The Calculator...LOL ok...i'm done now...bahahaha can anyone take that seriously???

I didn't realize it was even possible not to like "Ain't No Cover." You learn something new every day, I guess.

"We were like sisters"? What song is that supposed to be? I'd guess "Better" if the "born like sisters" bit were at the beginning, but as it stands I have no idea.

Okay! I have officially recovered from the concert.. or at least enough to post about it.

First, i wanna say thank you so much to all the stixers i got to meet! You guys are such cool people, and i hope i can meet you again! My shyness did get the better of me, but you were all very welcoming and didn't make me feel like a spaz at all xD

As for the show, i was amazed--i have never experienced an entire concert that was as unflinchingly passionate, charming, or (at least for me!) intense! I'm still somewhat in shock about the whole thing, but i promise this was the number one best musical experience of my life. I'm still in awe.

Getting to the show was a somewhat nerve-wracking experience: i forgot my photo ID for my flight, and was on the verge of tears. What if they didn't let me fly??? There was no time to go back for it, but in the end the staff was nice and they let me through. Gradually my acute nausea subsided, and my patient, cranky mom and i were on our way!

Traveling was horrifying because i'm scared of flying, and my mom's panicked stories of plane crashes were sooo not helping-espeically since she reserved them for takeoff, turbulence, and landings. -.- yeah. I laughed at myself on the ground--seeing regina was definitely one of the only things that could get me on these little planes!

I hadn't slept the night before, so i was positively delirious before noon. I tried to get some sleep in the hotel, but i was just too excited. I dozed off for maybe an hour, then i jumped up and started getting ready for the concert.

We traveled an endless yet insanely short hour and a half to the venue, and i was made to chug my water because outside beverages weren't allowed. I wondered if my bladder would pose an obstacle to my enjoying the entire show, then decided that probably i wouldn't leave my seat if the theater caught fire lol!

The concert is definitely a blur, but i remember every moment (including the one when i attacked my mom for trying to sing along to How--a song i'd never heard, and she was completely out of tune. My response wasn't pretty.) Mom enjoyed the show too, which i was glad to hear. But there's a part of me that couldn't have cared less, just as long as she wasn't going to rush me away after the show!!

I'm in love with regina's work, i really am. BaoP gave me chills like i'd never gotten from the song, How was incredible, and i was e.c.s.t.a.t.i.c. at Better, Open, Small Town Moon, and PATRON SAINT! lol sorry. i told myself no caps for this post. But HOLY COW!! These songs have minds of their own-words cannot express how i felt witnessing them live! I love love love what she did with patron saint, and i cried a bit during Firewood and Open. And Better. And How. I'm such a sap lol

After the show i dragged mom around the venue, searching faces for stixers. Eventually the safer bet of the side door was settled upon (no way i was clear-headed enough to have decided that myself lol! Another reason i thank my mom for coming). And i ventured a hello to a girl i was 90% sure was Mikaela, and was very relieved and excited when it was Big Grin I hung around with everyone, just trying not to make a fool of myself, and relieved to be around people who wouldn't think i was gay or crazy for loving regina so much Razzer

When she came out, my heart jumped into my throat and any sleepiness was chased away by a dizzy feeling and a small wish at myself: don't get in the way, wait your turn, and say something simple haha! I was so psyched and emotional actually getting to meet her! My skin was burning (i believe some people call that blushing) and i was in disbelief that i was looking at regina. A part of me didn't believe she was real until that moment!

I pretty much got a pic, an autograph, sputtered at her about loving her work and she's a great artist (to which she responded, "aw, thanks!" and i wondered for the millionth time what this charming little songstress would make of me), and then i started booking it outta there LOL it was literally the next morning before i realized: wait, she was still there! There was no time constraint on how long we were allowed to stick around. And i have been kicking myself a little 1: for not saying a proper goodbye to you generous folks, and 2: for not sticking around to speak at leisure with reg. Frowner But i won't dwell on that-- i am more fortunate than most having seen her at all, and though the meeting was an absolute whirlwind, in the midst of it was a most genuine smile and, as has already been said, the warmest hug ever--how does she do that?! lol! and she looked me in the eye and spoke to me like a person-not a weirdo or just one more number to add to an album sale. And i could tell that my excitement said everything that i was too exhausted and shy and rushed and confused to express with words. Maybe that's not true, but that's how i felt in the moment, and i don't see the need to rethink it.

i practically keeled over on the train back to the hotel. Not exaggerating here, i was on the verge of seeing things. So much emotional drain and excitement and all the thoughts i didn't get to share, and how much friendlier i should have been with the stixers and blah blah blah. I was fighting to keep my eyes open and my body upright, but at the back of it all was the knowledge that it was all soooo worth it and if i had the chance to do it all again, i would grasp at the chance

Sorry for the looong post!

My email (thanks so so so so much, silver bullet trailer!!!) is .

I am so glad that i got the chance to do this, and grateful to everyone who made it possible. Next time, i'll have one rule for myself: get. enough. sleep. the night before! lol But adrenaline kept me alert for the important parts Big Grin

quote:

Okay, let's pick apart this article a bit and see what I can find:

quote:
An ugly as hell red and black dress

I had to look at the pictures in this thread for this. Nope, not ugly as hell.

quote:

Well, isn't this guy lucky that this isn't in her new album? But anyways, the song's been around since 2004, right?

quote:
The Calculator

Ummm....

quote:
a new song called "How" is among her best ever...."How" is a full fledged romantic ballad -it is her "Something", a potential inclusion into the Great American Songbook.

Some Regina fans would like to disagree with you and suggest you take a second look at her stuff starting from 11:11 onwards.

quote:
I miss "Bopping For Apples" and I miss her rapping mid set, and playing drums, but I don't miss them enough. I like what I got in its place.

Bopping for Apples. Umm....

Also, as much as I miss her playing drumchair and Consequence of Sounds, I do like listening to new material.

Well, that's about it. At least she was complimented on some of her new/old stuff.

I agree with everyone about the rushing.. when i heard that everyone wasn't going to get to meet her, i was so disappointed! I got in then out and was on my way really quickly. I really wish i'd stuck around. Frowner

The article on the show is just rotten. It seems like a lazy first draft. At least he gave her a decent "grade." :/

GAH! i still can't believe i saw her, and i saw some of you guys! I'm so eager to see another show! That was definitely a most amazing experience. Ok. i'm gonna stop geeking out at you guys now haha! Forgive me!