Sign in to follow this  
Anthony Minsky

Regina on Letterman Thursday, May 17th

quote:
Originally posted by Barth:

I don't know how people "look" Jewish---except, I guess, for the Star of David on Kitsch.

heh you're right. It is a religion not a nationality. And I'm sure I just perpetuated some stereotype with my comment. Just being honest. It was something about the hair- straightened, then curled and the black lace dress. I think people know what I mean. Obviously there must be a "look" since I've been asked numerous times if I'm jewish because I "look like it."

I know that sometimes when people say 'I'm Jewish', they may mean religion. But isn't the word Jewish technically an ethnicity and Judaism a religion many Jewish people conform to?

My father's side of the family were all Jewish and I've never understood that to mean religiously speaking. Just sayin'. Smiler And if a person is careful, isn't it actually ok to say someone looks Latino, or Asian, or Polynesian, or even Jewish and it not be a 'Thing'? I hate stereotype talk just like anyone hates it, but I equally hate over sensitivity. I love that the world is filled with different races and looks. And I enjoy talking about it.

Nothin' deep here, just for conversation.

Maybe I am oversensitive, but "looking Jewish" usually does not suggest good things for that person. I am Jewish, but I am also a New Englander by birth. But there are Jews from Ethiopia who are black, and there are Jews with one parent who is Asian, and while they may not "look Jewish" they are.

Regina is very much a New Yorker (which is sometimes used as a euphemism for "Jewish" though we are quite a minority here as elsewhere), but the accent she puts on in Rowboats ("here's your ticker/welcome to the tombs") is acting, just as she does London working class "be-ah" before "better" in Fidelity. She has a ear for, ummm, the consequences of sounds and it is as much a part of her work as any other of her amazing skills (the coffin/coughin' part of Rowboats being another one of those things she hears and sings about).

She looks beautiful.

quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Minsky:

I know that sometimes when people say 'I'm Jewish', they may mean religion. But isn't the word Jewish technically an ethnicity and Judaism a religion many Jewish people conform to?

My father's side of the family were all Jewish and I've never understood that to mean religiously speaking. Just sayin'. Smiler And if a person is careful, isn't it actually ok to say someone looks Latino, or Asian, or Polynesian, or even Jewish and it not be a 'Thing'? I hate stereotype talk just like anyone hates it, but I equally hate over sensitivity. I love that the world is filled with different races and looks. And I enjoy talking about it.

Nothin' deep here, just for conversation.

i always understood jewish to have 2 meanings, as it were: the nationality or bloodline (genetic, and often cultural) and then the religious. The two are closely linked because the jewish nationality/culture is chosen by God, which is the basis of Judaism the religion. That's my understanding, anyway. I've never heard someone looking "jewish" being an insult, just an observation. I know a lot of people who will comment that someone seems Black or Asian, etc. and that's not insulting. But i guess it's all in the intention and the tone.

Anyway! i really enjoyed watching Reg on letterman. I think she did well, though my family talked all through it lol Halfway through my brother turned to me and asked, "what's this song about?" and i had to repeat my answer a couple of times before he answered, "oh." But i appreciate their watching it with me at all Smiler

I'm slowly converting my eldest brother to Reginaism. He usually says he just doesn't like "girl with piano music" and that he can't tell the difference. Aaaaarrrrgh! Mad It can be frustrating. But the other night I was watching David Letterman and he was in the room with me. At first he wasn't paying attention because he thought I was only watching for the Conan O'Brien interview, but then Regina started playing All the Rowboats. He suddenly stopped what he was doing on his laptop and stared at the Tv during the whole song. When she finished he was like Red Face"Well that was a pretty cool song."Red Face Mwahaha! I win! Cool

I'm going to show him the studio version of 'All the Rowboats' and, based on a lot of the music he likes, I bet he will be even more impressed hearing it with the production. Smiler