Sign in to follow this  
Emmerrrrrrr

2012-06-05 Secret NYC Show

@Appt: really nerdy, awkward, and high pitched. Smiler

also, I didn't think the performance was all that great! all the performers seemed a little bored or maybe tired.

perhaps I'm just getting a little over loaded with the performances of these songs, since they seem to be a little more consistent with this band set-up, so there are less variations and surprises.

or maybe it's just me!

awesome interview, though. she was really magnetic.

^Hmm, didn't notice, however, isn't nerdy the new sexy though? Wink

Yeah, I know what you mean. With far it was the same though, few weeks into the promo and I thought that if I hear Laughing with one more time I'm gonna loose it...It's good she varies the songs she plays if not the arrangements. It was the first time she performed How during the promotional appearances which was nice. NMQP is far superior with the cello solo in the middle so I quite enjoy hearing her do that. I think we need to wait for the tour to start. As much as I love seeing/hearing these professionally recorded appearances, she is never completely relaxed; as opposed to her concert performances where she consistently shines.

It realllly bugged me that she took the cop-out "i don't talk about theses things because it destoys them" approach to the ALBUM TITLE question. I mean she's talked about the meaning behind naming far and BTH. Clearly that's never been a taboo question in the past. And considering she admitted to titling the album before she even made it, it must mean something! Regi come on.

Appt: Hey, Happy "11:11"th Post!!! Big Grin Although you're on 1112 now but still, you passed the 1111 mark! Wink Anyway, his voice didn't bother me too much. It was a little strange, kind of like he needed to clear his throat. And i really enjoyed the performance, though i agree about her probably being more relaxed and happier during concert performances than these professionally recorded ones. It's just I haven't listened to the album in a while or any music for that matter and I was HUNGRY for it! Smiler

edit:Although youtube got a little skippy on me and it was frustrating when i missed parts of songs...

His voice definitely bothered me at first, and their exchange was almost difficult to watch. But after a couple of questions they both seemed to relax and it got better!

As for the album title question, I was just thinking that maybe she doesn't really remember or know where it came from. Like, it was something that just popped into her head? I do think that she shouldn't worry about ruining songs for us by explaining them a little bit. I mean, not too much, but a little tidbit here and there won't hurt the way I look at a song. It might even add to it!

I'm kind of disappointed that they asked for questions from fans, but the interviewer didn't really ask her any of them and stuck to pretty basic stuff. But it was really funny and interesting anyway.

Hey there Stixers! So I got home about an hour ago, and I'm exhausted so this might be just slightly incoherent.

My last class ended at 12 and I couldn't leave for New York till then unfortunately. After some long train/subway rides, and also lots of sprinting places/running into people, I made it to the Youtube office at about 3:15. Serge had been there from 12:30 on, and he's pretty much the only reason I got a front row view (which I really really regret not giving to him, because he deserved it a million times over for being there for ages). We waited for a few minutes, and it was extreeeemely lax - in case this ever happens again, these shows have no regulation/security whatsoever. It was incredibly easy to sneak into the line/pretend you were someone's guest, and there weren't too many people.

They finally let us move upstairs to the room, and Serge and I grabbed some awesome seats. At this point I go into the bathroom being super excited and all lalala in my head. A friend I had met waiting on line and I were walking out of the bathroom when someone walks in. I however am the most oblivious, in my head person in this universe, no matter what's right in front of me, so when the girl behind me literally grabbed me by the shoulders and went "THAT WAS HER" I literally had NO idea what she was talking about. Turned around and of course the back of Regina's head ("that's myyyyy back of a head" Ok I had to) is walking in, and I did not acknowledge her existence whatsoever. We literally BRUSHED SHOULDERS and I wouldn't have had a clue (thinking back and talking it over with Serge, this was probably for the best - how awkward would my freakout have been when she was just trying to use the bathroom undisturbed lol). Also this was my not so good part of the night - I left my ring in the bathroom and never found it again Frowner Wah.

After that excitement, we just chatted with people around us, and then the show started!! I had a much different reaction than some of you guys - I really loved it (then again, I was staring straight at the cellist and was just mesmerized - have never been that close before, he was incredible!!). I SUPER liked that the audience was very quiet during the songs - probably cause it was live tv kind of stuff, and not an actual show. The sound was lovely.

The interview I didn't find too awkward, but honestly I didn't look once at the interviewer, or really pay attention to him (though I agree - interesting voice lol). I was totally glued on Regina - she was so sweet and adorable and smart and just awesomely awesome with her answers. We made eye contact once or twice (or maybe I imagined eye contact, whatevs, same thing), and I probably could have melted at the spot.

Then it was over and she disappeared. I looked for my ring for a bit, then went out into this lounge-like/waiting area where a few other people were waiting for Regina to come out. The crowd cleared really fast, especially after one of the security people said that she wouldn't be out for a very very long time. So I sat in a chair and started homework I thought I'd be working on for a few hours - of course in 20 minutes Regina comes out! I have a sneaking suspicion that the Google interns conspired to make this happen - there was about 12 people waiting, and maybe 7 of them were Google interns. Regina was so surprised to see us, like she wasn't expecting us whatsoever, but the Google people showing her around were all "OMG these are your most dedicated fans, everyone else left, aren't they awesome, etc etc". I feel like the interns and the security people led her into a trap... Lmao or maybe I have an overactive imagination. Regardless, she was very sweet as always, and signed everyone's stuff (even though there was a few (I thought) kind of obnoxious people who weren't really fans of her but had brought a million things for her to sign for their friends..). She signed my copy of WWSFTCS, and I got a blurry picture, but I was a veeerrrrry happy camper!

That's all I think - I'm going to go pass out. I hope the video goes up soon - I want to see how it looked like streamed/what happened when I wasn't too distracted staring at Regina and/or her cellist :P

Well, i am glad to read the positive reaction. I saw a fair amount at work, but people insisted on doing work with me (outrageous). I was able to record it as a huge Flash file, though, and watched it again, and loved every minute, as always. And, the sound quality was, even on the internet, outstanding.

She will not answer questions about song meanings or titles because she believes, quite correctly I think, that everyone is entitled to their own take on all of it. You don't look at a Jackson Pollock paining and then demand he tell you what he thinks it means, nor would you sidle up to your favorite author and ask what their novel "meant." That's what art is about. Art.

Her discussion of aging, and her imagining singing with an older woman's voice was really something, and her description of Joni's Both Sides Now album, the songs I grew up with, reimagined with the voice Joni has today was perfect: you can see a whole lifetime there. Exactly. (Great album, by the way: as great a tribute to Joni as almost all the other Joni tribute albums have been. The only better one was the Herbie Hancock one).

Oh, our Regina is just taking off. She has been wonderful for years, but now....

quote:
She will not answer questions about song meanings or titles because she believes, quite correctly I think, that everyone is entitled to their own take on all of it. You don't look at a Jackson Pollock paining and then demand he tell you what he thinks it means, nor would you sidle up to your favorite author and ask what their novel "meant." That's what art is about. Art.

I totally agree with this and understand where she's coming from when she says that, but I don't know how much longer she can hold off these interviewers! She deals with it well actually, but she definitely seemed put on the spot today.

quote:
Originally posted by bum bum bum:

quote:

I totally agree with this and understand where she's coming from when she says that, but I don't know how much longer she can hold off these interviewers! She deals with it well actually, but she definitely seemed put on the spot today.

I agree and I do not mind that she refuses to answer the questions about songs. She has never answered them as a RULE and that's ok. Trust me, I've heard fans (and interviewers)try and ask those questions and it's ridiculous to ask regina, "soo when you wrote laughing with what did you meeannn by thisss?"

But the ALBUM TITLE?!? come on now. It would've been better if she just said "I don't know" or "I just liked it" or better yet, explained it. I'm just pointing out there is absolutely NO precedent for her non-response. She has ALWAYS answered that question before.

It's kind of like when someone names their child. It's not going to change who the kid is if they say, "oh he's named after his grandfather" or "i just liked that name." It might give someone an opinion about the parent, and maybe that's what regina was afraid of.