we must get older, so wake up.

I can't write a song for you.

I'm out of melodies.

I can't write a song for you,

but I am asking, please,

Jessica, wake up.

Jessica, wake up.

It's February again;

we must get older now, so please, wake up.

We must get older now,

so please, wake up.

Lyrics:

Jessica, wake up.

Jessica, wake up.

It's February again;

we must get older, so wake up.

I can't write a song for you.

I'm out of melodies.

I can't write a song for you,

but I am asking, please,

Jessica, wake up.

Jessica, wake up.

It's February again;

we must get older now, so please, wake up.

We must get older now,

so please, wake up.

i think this song is special in a way-- isn't Regina's bday in february?

Either way, it feels more autobiographical/not from a character, or even to a character.

To me, the song is just a sweet, almost cheeky little piece that regina wrote for a friend.I like the acoustic guitar on it. Her acoustic guitar songs are always unique.

I don't detect any sense of sadness about it, personally, though i think some people said they did.

Yep, her birthday is on February 18, 1980. Maybe Jessica is a nickname for a cousin/relative?

Although the idea of it being about a fictional character isn't too unlikely. You never know with Regina Wink

(I just have to say, though, this song's a little too short for me. Though it might stand out on that merit? Nonetheless, it's a wonderful song, and a nice way to close the album--unless you have the deluxe version, that is.)

{Copy & paste response -- hope you don't mind!}

It made me smile inside because it almost seemed like a playful jab at people saying Regina should make everything like 11:11 - Soviet Kitsch. It's like she's saying, "Wake up from that dream. I can't write songs in the 11:11 vein when I was younger, but I can write songs that reflect a growing me today." To me, it helps tie the entire album together -- almost as though the songs in the album are about themselves. It gives new meaning to the old songs...if that makes any sense.

Ahem, thank you so much for posting the lyrics. They provided me with great amusement since they were a little different from what I had thought... As you can tell, English is not my first language so I get a lot of misheard lyrics in general. Plus I have been really busy so I've been listening to WWSFTCS only while brushing my teeth or doing the dishes or something - I haven't really had a chance to focus on the lyrics. Until a moment ago I was certain that in "It's February again" she actually sings "It's bad, you're weary again". Made perfect sense to me! Big Grin And I heard it tha same way every single time. So for me, this was definitely a sad song. I'm not that sure anymore... Big Grin Oh dear. Guess I'll have to come up with a whole new analysis!

It's so sweet somehow even though the lyrics are so simple. The melody with the guitar and soft singing kind of reminds me of a Beatles song, like Mother Nature's Son or Julia, like the feeling you get. Though Jessica feels a little happier than Julia. Bltwp, I agree I personally don't really detect a sense of sadness. Though I could see how others would, with it being about growing up, getting older and almost like someone who worries about their friend asking them to start living life.

“I can't write a song for you.

I'm out of melodies.”

^^ a little sad. Like someone with their youth behind them but also kind of a playful lyric since it's part of the very song written for Jessica.

I find it funny that she is asking Jessica to please wake up and the song is so dreamy it makes me sleepy, in a good way. Smiler

(My birthday is in February too, now if only my name was Jessica, I’d be so happy. haha Wink )

I get a sad vibe from it too. Almost like Jessica has died and the narrator has lost her joy ("I'm out of melodies"). S/he's begging (all the "please" passages) Jessica to wake up so s/he can move on with his/her life ("we must get older").

Either way, I feel like this is a "Beauty" reject. In an interview from a few years ago Regi said she had too many songs for the project and could easily fill a few albums with them. Perhaps this is one? (Especially since it doesn't follow the character of the album at all....WWSFTCS is more dark/mysterious/melancholy and piano heavy for this maudlin guitar tune. It sounds like a soliloquy moment where the main character is in front of the curtain during a scene change in a play)