Kopratic

Jessica {WWSFTCS}

quote:
Originally posted by tourniquet737:

I get a sad vibe from it too. Almost like Jessica has died and the narrator has lost her joy ("I'm out of melodies"). S/he's begging (all the "please" passages) Jessica to wake up so s/he can move on with his/her life ("we must get older").

Either way, I feel like this is a "Beauty" reject. In an interview from a few years ago Regi said she had too many songs for the project and could easily fill a few albums with them. Perhaps this is one? (Especially since it doesn't follow the character of the album at all....WWSFTCS is more dark/mysterious/melancholy and piano heavy for this maudlin guitar tune. It sounds like a soliloquy moment where the main character is in front of the curtain during a scene change in a play)

Although I can see where you're coming from, I think it does follow the character of the album {as you put it}. Yes, the rest of the album is dark and mysterious, which makes the light tune of "Jessica" appropriate for the end. She's waking up from the dream.

Another thing: I don't know whether or not this was intentional, but I like how in "Small Town Moon" {the album opener}, there's the lyric "Today, we're younger than we're ever gonna be." Then, in the closer, it talks about how "We must get older." It gives the album a real sense of a journey.

quote:
Originally posted by Kopratic:

quote:
Originally posted by tourniquet737:

I get a sad vibe from it too. Almost like Jessica has died and the narrator has lost her joy ("I'm out of melodies"). S/he's begging (all the "please" passages) Jessica to wake up so s/he can move on with his/her life ("we must get older").

Either way, I feel like this is a "Beauty" reject. In an interview from a few years ago Regi said she had too many songs for the project and could easily fill a few albums with them. Perhaps this is one? (Especially since it doesn't follow the character of the album at all....WWSFTCS is more dark/mysterious/melancholy and piano heavy for this maudlin guitar tune. It sounds like a soliloquy moment where the main character is in front of the curtain during a scene change in a play)

Although I can see where you're coming from, I think it does follow the character of the album {as you put it}. Yes, the rest of the album is dark and mysterious, which makes the light tune of "Jessica" appropriate for the end. She's waking up from the dream.

Another thing: I don't know whether or not this was intentional, but I like how in "Small Town Moon" {the album opener}, there's the lyric "Today, we're younger than we're ever gonna be." Then, in the closer, it talks about how "We must get older." It gives the album a real sense of a journey.

Good call on that Small Town Moon/Jessica one! I definitely sense the journey between those two points.

Also, now that I think about it, if you replace every mention of the name "Jessica" and put in "Beauty", then it makes sense. "Beauty, wake up, Beauty, wake up"--it definitely makes sense if this was a reject from the play.

(which makes you think how many songs from her next album--after Cheap Seats, that is--will be Beauty rejects...)

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

dumb post alert! My advanced apologies.

I don't like the term "reject" for regina's songs. Maybe they're the "cuties" or the "backups" xD

That is all!

Whoops, my bad--I just thought it was the general term people use for it. But yes, "cuties" or "backups" sound a lot better. "Bonus songs" don't sound bad, too Smiler

First off, I like it a lot. It's pure and simple. -and my best friend's name is Jessica.

One of my initial thoughts was that this song felt like the antithesis of Loveology. Whereas loveology saying, "yeah be with me, it's great i'll sing to you about nothing and you'll love it." Now she's begging for the person to, "be realistic and be with her even though she can't write a song." Strange I know. But I feel like this song somehow GOES with Loveology. Some melancholy but appropriate 8-year follow up?

quote:
Originally posted by 2.99 a gallon:

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

dumb post alert! My advanced apologies.

I don't like the term "reject" for regina's songs. Maybe they're the "cuties" or the "backups" xD

That is all!

Whoops, my bad--I just thought it was the general term people use for it. But yes, "cuties" or "backups" sound a lot better. "Bonus songs" don't sound bad, too Smiler

haha! yes, that's what everyone calls them. i was only being half-serious. "Bonus" works, too. It's like winning a prize, instead of feeling like no one wants them. Because we want them all! xD

I haven't heard the melody yet but the lyrics are really sad to me! This almost sounds like it's lyrics to the close friend of hers who died recently. The February thing could refer to a birthday. Maybe it's February because regina always associated that month with getting older, since it's her birthday, or it was Jessica's birthday too. Maybe reg is talking to herself and it's about waking up and growing up, you can't be a child your whole life and think nothing bad is going to happen to you.

Only based on the lyrics, for me, this really sounds like Jessica died or is really depressed and the narrator can't do anything about it "I'm out of melodies". "We have to get older, please wake up", doesn't that sound like someone died to you? Or is really depressed an unreachable?

About the Beauty Bonus Songs theory. Remember that reg only writes the music. If this was supposed to be "Beauty wake up" I'm guessing it should say "Lyrics by: Michael Korie and Regina Spektor". I will wait and determine if it's a Beauty bonus after I've heard the melody line Smiler

quote:
Only based on the lyrics, for me, this really sounds like Jessica died or is really depressed and the narrator can't do anything about it "I'm out of melodies". "We have to get older, please wake up", doesn't that sound like someone died to you? Or is really depressed an unreachable?

That’s kind of the same thing I got from it. When she says “I can’t write a song for you” to me it’s like she’s saying “I can’t do it for you, I can’t fix it for you” and she tells Jessica “we must get older, so wake up, please wake up” which can be like her saying “we can’t be children forever, you have to try to help yourself, so please try”. That is just one way to look at it. I feel like she’s telling Jessica to start living, we can’t always be children and expect others to take care of us, we have to face our own trials, but she cares about Jessica and is urging her to try.

Today I woke up thinking that I finally got an idea what this song is for me about: I think it might be about a couple which can't have children, this might be a little bit made up though:

Jessica, wake up.

Jessica, wake up.

The couple wants to have a girl named Jessica, which hasn't been born yet, so she didn't wake up yet.

It's February again;

we must get older, so wake up.

They really tried it for a long time, still it is february again, they get older, the chances to become parents get lower.

I can't write a song for you.

I'm out of melodies.

This could be allegoric(?): The song stands for all the possibilities which you can use to become pregnant, but nothing did work.

I can't write a song for you,

but I am asking, please,

She never gives up hope and wants her to wake up.

Hope this makes any sense Razzer I do not really know what "we must get older now" really means... you have to get older = more mature or older older Big Grin. In the first case my interpretation is kinda obsolete, haha.