Kopratic

Jessica {WWSFTCS}

I finally got a chance to buy the album, so I was listening to it in my car and thought of another meaning for "Jessica."

Before the album was released, I made a joke that Jessica is the character from "The Party." I'm going with that explanation here. You see, in "The Party," the narrator is having a blast with Jessica. They write songs for each other, etc.

The narrator soon realizes that if the two of them keep up at their current pace, they're going to quickly run out of fuel. In "Jessica," the narrator is asking her friend to wake up and grow up. January, the start of the new year and new possibilities, is over. It's February yet again, and the narrator is realizing that s/he can't just party all the time. However, s/he still wants to remain friends with Jessica, so the narrator tries to gently convince Jessica to mature with him/her.

{Sorry if that made no sense. xD}

quote:
Originally posted by Kopratic:

I finally got a chance to buy the album, so I was listening to it in my car and thought of another meaning for "Jessica."

Before the album was released, I made a joke that Jessica is the character from "The Party." I'm going with that explanation here. You see, in "The Party," the narrator is having a blast with Jessica. They write songs for each other, etc.

The narrator soon realizes that if the two of them keep up at their current pace, they're going to quickly run out of fuel. In "Jessica," the narrator is asking her friend to wake up and grow up. January, the start of the new year and new possibilities, is over. It's February yet again, and the narrator is realizing that s/he can't just party all the time. However, s/he still wants to remain friends with Jessica, so the narrator tries to gently convince Jessica to mature with him/her.

{Sorry if that made no sense. xD}

That would actually be a really cool explanation.

But for example in the YouTube Presents interview Regina said that she didn't really have a concept for the album and that she just randomly put songs together. So... I think your explanation is a bit too thought through for a Regina album. No offense, Regina (or Kopratic?) Big Grin

{I hope that made sense...}

Yes, but Regina has also said that she doesn't like to say her own interpretations of her songs because she feels like it would put them in a box. So, technically, we're all right about what the song means. xD

Also, she may not have had a concept for the album, but I've read/seen in interviews that sometimes she'll put songs on the record that she feels belong/is their time. In the end it all works out. ;P

Have any of you guys seen the Youtube comment on the Jessica video?

"This song is about a friend of Regina's from university who died of cancer last year. Both their birthdays are in February, By a ridiculous coincidence she used to work with my friend Ruth, so for me to hear a woman I've adored since I was 15 go through the same grief I saw one of my best friends go through is ridiculously moving. This song makes me cry so very much. Even though I really don't get what's going on with Regina's music lately, I feel closer to her than I ever have before."

That's so sad. Frowner And it really fits with the song, and what I thought it was about.

^ That comment is so sad but so fitting, as you said. In one of the articles before the album came out it mentioned how two people she was close to had passed away. So this really could be true. I know she doesn't write things about her own self but this time I think that might have happened. Which also might explain why she hasn't played it live yet.