Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2.99 a gallon

Artist's/Writer's block.

6 posts in this topic

(Thought I'd start this topic to accommodate the writers/artists of this site)

So yeah, that pesky block that won't go away. It's really frustrating, especially when you've had great ideas the night before and when you wake up they're nowhere to be found.

But what about everyone else? How do you deal with writer's/artist's block and what's your stories about these unfortunate periods of blankness?

(Thought I'd start this topic to accommodate the writers/artists of this site)

So yeah, that pesky block that won't go away. It's really frustrating, especially when you've had great ideas the night before and when you wake up they're nowhere to be found.

But what about everyone else? How do you deal with writer's/artist's block and what's your stories about these unfortunate periods of blankness?

cool thread!

third-party-imposed deadlines work wonders for both my creative juices (as they're called) and my work ethic. Of course projects that i turn in are almost never as complete as they should be, but, hey, at least they're done enough lol

I'm a procrastinator. Not just in when i do things (i'm getting better on this front) but in the quality of the work. I can't work at the caliber i want to until it's almost due. Then things speed up and flow and work themselves out, whereas getting a jump on things ahead of time is slow going and frankly, excruciating.

As for work that i do on my own time, i get bouts of inspiration and i work and work for hours-all day/night sometimes. Besides that, i don't touch projects except to rehearse/brush up in some way.

I'm not a very dedicated worker, i guess :/

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

I'm a procrastinator. Not just in when i do things (i'm getting better on this front) but in the quality of the work. I can't work at the caliber i want to until it's almost due. Then things speed up and flow and work themselves out, whereas getting a jump on things ahead of time is slow going and frankly, excruciating.

:/

Yeah, I agree so much. I really don't like leaving stuff to the last minute but I always get much more done when it's right before the deadline.

But hey, this doesn't really mean you're not a dedicated worker! Maybe you're just a different kind of worker? Different methods work for different people.

Ahh.. I planned to use my sick day today (hah I'm only.. mildly sick) to get assignments and revision done. Haven't started yet. GET OFF THE INTERNET KATE!!!

Okay I'm going now. Smiler

^^i wish i could flip that "crunch time" switch every time i go to work! Maybe it's like adrenaline: it boosts your performance, but if you had it all the time, you'd die Smiler ... or maybe Frowner lol

anyway, good luck!! Get to work! Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

^^i wish i could flip that "crunch time" switch every time i go to work! Maybe it's like adrenaline: it boosts your performance, but if you had it all the time, you'd die Smiler ... or maybe Frowner lol

anyway, good luck!! Get to work! Wink

I wish I had a "crunch time" switch in handy. I seem to be very lax when it comes to working on stuff; maybe that's why I get these stumbling blocks.

Also, I might try different ways of working at things--maybe different environment or times? But it's worth a shot.