Sign in to follow this  
andrea ansevini

11 11

Agreed. I believe that it should be re-issued (perhaps in a limited release?) so that people have a chance to buy it. I'm really annoyed by people randomly coming forward with rare copies and trying to make a profit off of Regina's music.

I think Regina is embarrassed by her older work (so she says in some interviews I've read). As well, because 11:11 sounds really jazzy it might sound like she's impersonating Nina Simone or whoever else.

It's personally one of my favourite albums though Smiler If you can't get a physical copy, you can get download it off of iTunes/CD Baby/Amazon.

i'm honestly a little surprised that she still sells 11:11 digitally and that Songs is only available on cdbaby.

if i remember correctly, though, the reason that 11:11 was not re-issued was because she lost the files/originals of the album art (and maybe the song masters too?). this is probably why the "official" version of it, even on iTunes, is a low-resolution scan with the top trimmed off and visible creases/damage haha.

i know she's not thrilled with it, but it's kind of sad to see how little care went into that digital release.

personally, 11:11 seems almost conceptual to me. i agree that the jazzy style of the album doesn't really fit the regina of today, but i would argue that it didn't even quite fit the regina of the time, either. and i'm not saying she was being "fake," or anything, but that, again, it feels like more of a concept album.

my reasoning behind that is that i feel that the demo tape from 1999 seems significantly "closer" to post-11:11 regina than 11:11 does, despite the songs being two to three years older than 11:11. and ironically enough, the only song that she still ever does is love affair, which also appeared on the demo. meanwhile, back of a truck, flyin, wasteside, 2.99c blues, are very distinctively "11:11" tracks, i.e. i couldn't imagine them ever appearing in any other context. i think i'd throw marry ann and pavlov's daughter (even though i hate to admit that song is probably finished :/ ) in there as well, though they did appear on the gravediggers compilation... but probably just because of the themes.

despite all of that, the songs are all characteristically regina, and i think it's very cool of her to continue to make it available for her fans even though she'd probably prefer it not to be! i also remember reading that the songs were recorded over the course of her entire four years at college... we all know how much regina wrote back then- imagine how many songs didn't make the cut!