Be like the water, people.

Just Like the Movies

11 posts in this topic

I know we're all still hooked on the new album, but I can't believe we don't have a discussion for this lovely song!

It's just like the movies

I eat from the trees

If I do not open the curtains

then I cannot see

All the people run by...

My heart eats beats (beets?)

My heart eats love

You are mistaken 'cause I do not bite

Over the Williamsburg bridge on a bike

And if he loves me, then why does he leave?

Don't say goodbye like you're burying him

'Cause the world is round and he might return

I know we're all still hooked on the new album, but I can't believe we don't have a discussion for this lovely song!

It's just like the movies

I eat from the trees

If I do not open the curtains

then I cannot see

All the people run by...

My heart eats beats (beets?)

My heart eats love

You are mistaken 'cause I do not bite

Over the Williamsburg bridge on a bike

And if he loves me, then why does he leave?

Don't say goodbye like you're burying him

'Cause the world is round and he might return

The reason i wanted to bring up Just Like the Movies is because the last part, that the world is round so they might meet again, reminds me of How: "I guess you/I know by now that we will meet again somehow"

I'm so curious about how people interpret this song! It was one of the first Regina songs i got into, personally.

I don't have a concrete idea of what this song is about, more just mental images and an appreciation for the title haha But i always found it interesting, especially the parts "you are mistaken 'cause i do not bite, over the williamsburg bridge on a bike" and "don't say goodbye like you're burying him cause the world is round and he might return"

I like the bite/bike part because of the wordplay, but also because the "bike" part could be taken as a qualifier for the biting part lol! Maybe she does bite, just not in this case lol

But the ending gets me. There seem to be 2 narrators: the person who was left by "him" and the one who is saying "don't say goodbye.." I had always assumed she (?) was talking to herself, but then the way these lines switch back and forth, and kind of tumble over each other, i wonder if the "don't say goodbye" isn't advice she's remembering, and she's now agonizing over it. How can she hope to see him again when she can't understand losing him in the first place?

So i don't know. It just occurred to me that How sounds like the ending. Dunno if that's significant at all..

Big Grin

Genius next door likes this

I love this song so much... It's actually in my top five songs from Regina, maybe even top 2.. I don't have any theories on this one, though.. I just can't help but trance out when I listen to it.

Just Like The Movies is sublime.. I especially love the little Yiddish twist in her voice when she sings the "Leaaavee"- part. This song is so raw, beautiful, perfect right there in my ears, but still unreachable in a way, you know? When listening to it you just float around with it, which makes it a little difficult to interpret. It still certainly gives a strangely amazing feeling when I listen to it.

RJLupin2 likes this

Yeah, I totally know what you mean. This song is awesome.

A little over a year ago, the community came together and created a book filled with drawings based on lyrics. We eventually gave to Regina! I chose to do a lyric from this song: "Don't say goodbye like you're burying him, 'cause the world is round and he might return".

Lilyfloss and Emmerrrrrrr like this

I know, I really can't believe it was a year ago. It's also been five years since I first saw her... that's so crazy to me. 2008 seems like last year.