Sign in to follow this  
blushnrushn

Regina songs that are hard to listen to

quote:
Originally posted by It's all about the moon:

depression(?). At first I was like "what a nice song about a caring husband", but later on I realized why he says that the buildings are so tall these days...

Oh my, I did not make that connection until you pointed that out. I will definitely listen to that song differently now. How dark and depressing.

It's all about the moon: Oh. I've always thought the part when the husband says that the buildings are tall was a metaphor to show how much he is overtaken by events. Your interpretation is brilliant!

rainna: Your post was really interesting! There are so many songs with upbeat melody but poignant lyrics.. which is really fascinating because if you don't look through them, you miss the point. Well.. I have nothing to add to your post, just wanted to say I enjoyed reading what you wrote.

I had always envisioned the last verse of Buildings, where she jumbles up lines from the earlier verses, to represent the alcoholic wife jumping off a building to kill herself, and those lines representing her life, her past flashing before her eyes as she plunges down, her last living thought to herself being about how tall buildings are these days...

Lately I'm having a heard time listening to Chemo Limo (though I always loved it and still love it so much, but...) - it just makes me REALLY sad. Frowner

OMG, what you're saying about 'Buildings', I will listen to it in a totally different way!!

i love reading discussion of regina's work! If i could major in her songs, i'd be one happy camper! Big Grin

I agree with a lot of what's in this thread, though i want to throw in my unsolicited two cents about love you're a whore and belt, if that's okay!

I agree that belt (like buildings and, to me, fidelity) is a dead-serious song with regina's heart thrown fully into it, complete with an ironic, deceptive, or deliberately dissonant happy tune. When i was first getting into regina's music and my family thought i was crazy, i selected belt to show my mom what i appreciated about reg's work. I told her that the music was so happy because the narrator puts on a brave face, despite her tragic position--isn't that brilliant? My mom agreed and threw in that she was pretty sure regina must have BEEN in an abusive relationship, because she writes about it so poingnantly. But with songs like ode to divorce, ink stains, and so on, i think it's safe to say regina's work need not be autobiographical to be emotionally accurate Smiler

But i don't think anyone really hit the nail on the head with how i view love you're a whore.. There's one view who says "it's gender neutral," then the other that says it's from the POV of the abuser--like the counterpart of Belt. I think there's truth to both of these.

I'm going to skip the "to me's," "i thinks," "imho's" and so on. They're a bit presumptuous anyway, as though i should give people permission about what they can and can't disagree with Razzer jk, of course. That's my disclaimer, though: this is just how i see it, seeing as i'm the one writing it. Disagree with anything, everything, or nothing. Or stop reading if i'm boring you lol

In the first place, love is personified as a woman. A whore, she's beaten and mistreated, which we expect to be the position of the woman in the relationship if anyone has the misfortune of being beaten. The fact that love kisses "us" hard on the mouth evokes two things: first it's that love is the partner in a sexual relationship, thus reinforcing the impression that "she" has a gender in the song.

Second, the word "us" in the chorus directs me to the main point i wanted to make: love is not in a relationship with one person, but is universal: the partner with every person who's in a relationship. When you're in love with someone, you're perpetuating your relationship with the "whore," love. The song depicts the relationship between lovers and love.

I thus don't read a sinister meaning or underlying tragedy in Love You're A Whore, because every person who loves is the "abusive party" in the relationship. Normally that's bad news, because people shouldn't be beaten up! But in this case, we can be okay with love returning every time, because that actually means that we are getting a chance to love someone new. The abuse is not literal, because it is for a concept or emotion rather than an actual person. The song might be called, "If Love Were A Woman, She'd Be A Whore."

There's an absurdly hearty feeling in the "beating," kissing "hard" on the mouth, and so on. It's like when two really old friends see each other and they embrace so strongly that it's almost violent. But that just means they love and care for each other all the more.

I know it's strange to think of the abuse as a positive thing, but love doesn't have emotions and feelings--it's just a thing that comes and goes as it pleases, and "Love, You're A Whore" is celebrating the fact that love always chooses to return, no matter what happened the last time. That's a beautiful sentiment.

Back to the "old friends" analogy, i think regina calls love a whore the same way old people call each other old or fat. It's an insulting term and not romantic, but it denotes a familiarity, comfort, and honesty that can't be captured with romantic words. Because our relationship with love as depicted in the song isn't romantic--it's rough and tumble and hard. But we know that no one is leaving: we want love, and love always comes back to us, too!

So it's not a sad song that sounds happy, it's a happy song that's mean to love because it adores love.

I don't know. Maybe really polite people wouldn't understand the sentiment of insulting someone out of love, but watching so many russian films lately, i hear a lot of it. Like, some guy comes and knocks on the door, and the person sitting inside says, "come on in, you bald bastard!!" But with the right tone (jovial, joking) it's a sign that the man at the door is accepted and welcome just as he is. If your friends were overly formal, wouldn't you think something must be wrong? Once you're acquainted with someone well enough, pleasantries fall away, and affection can, sometimes, be expressed in ways that would seem to be mean or even abusive in the context of a relationship that wasn't as close.

I hope this rambling made sense... it made sense in my head haha!

Adding to that, my class just read Ты и Вы (you (infnormal) and you (formal) by Pushkin. He expresses frustration that he must refer to the one he loves with formal terms, when he wants to speak informally. The reason he is dissatisfied is because he considers formal address to be "empty," while informal address is "heartfelt." That, in my opinion, is the same sentiment in LYAWhore. Being formal doesn't cut it with someone who's close to your heart. You want to muss their hair and call them names and tease them.

(Not saying the song is based on the poem, just that the poem illustrates the sentiment of the affection of informal/impolite that I perceive in the song! Smiler)

Interesting thoughts Be like the water people! What you said makes a lot of sense.

I totally agree that love you're a whore describes the way we love and the relationship between lovers and love. I agree with a lot of what you said, though I notice a feeling of sadness and despair in the song.

Here, falling in love is described as a vicious circle. You know, you fall in love, you have hope and then you get hurt. You don't want to fall in love again because you just want to be free but you always fall in love again and you always end up getting hurt.

I don't know.. I think it's a wonderful sentiment mixed with some elements of sadness.

To me Flyin' is really hard to listen to. I have the impression to be the witness to a suicide but I can do nothing. Everytime I hear the 'BOOM' and the laugh at the end of the song I'm paralized. *sigh*

Lacrimosa is also extremely poignant and oh.. Just like the movies, I always burst into tears when I listen to this song.

For a good period of time, I couldn't stop listening to Loveology. Now I'm unable to listen to it because it affects me on a very high emotional level. I hope one day I will be able to listen to it again! Smiler

The same thing is happening with Open. I think I should stop listening to it for several days/weeks or I will be unable to listen to it for months..