Sign in to follow this  
Appt

Regina in the Live Room (Warner Sound)

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

Her voice isn't ruined in these to me, but the pitch correction definitely takes away from it because of how obvious it is. Part of the reason I love Regina's voice is, yes, because of her perfections, but also an equal part because of her imperfections. It's an amazing balance that she has, like a yin-yang of sorts, but these pitch corrections just really mess with that for me.

Exactly! When you listen to Open, it feels like Regina is singing at the same volume level throughout the song, which is definitely not the case. Weird.

Listening to this time and time again, I would get over the auto-tune if they didn't mess with the volume levels of her voice. I stand by my previous post: this ruins her voice for me. Not gonna listen/watch this again. It's a shame though because otherwise the video is fabulous (though I feel she doesn't enjoy the performance as much as on other live videos).

I spoke with Phil Botti, the executive producer of The Warner Sound, and he told me that as far as he was aware, there was no editing whatsoever of regina's voice.

"What you see and hear, is a truly remarkable performance captured in one of the greatest sounding studios in the world. And we're proud of that. Because the whole point of our show, is to give great artists the opportunity to record in these special places."

As the main chairman behind this channel, I suppose I have to trust his judgement, although I'm not positive he would be aware of all the editing that took place in the studio, necessarily.

Something sounds fishy to me, still. It all could be a mistake, for all we know...

On the "Patron Saint" vid, the official Warner Sound youtube channel responded, even more explicitly than that Phil Botti comment: "We can assure you that Regina's voice has not been manipulated with auto-tune or any other pitch correcting software in her Live Room performances. Make sure you're watching in full HD for the best audio quality."

But it certainly sounds pitch-corrected to me, which is a shame. And also...who in the world would rid "Open" of all dynamics? What?!?!

Perhaps there is something that happened with the audio when being converted to a YouTube-friendly format.

If it isn't manipulated in any way, it certainly does not sound natural. (I know I'm not crazy!)

Phil's response to me was that it probably sounds different because it is of such great quality... but I've heard her live several times, and of course heard her studio recordings, neither of which sound like this.

So there's got to be something else at play!

Oh well, I'll let it go. :P

quote:
Originally posted by Stepped On A Syringe:

(I know I'm not crazy!)

You're definitely not, multiple of us heard it separate of each other's opinions.

I'll let it go as well. If it's really just a youtube uploading screw-up, then they can't really be blamed. (Though they certainly could try to upload it again, yeah?)