Sign in to follow this  
Appt

Regina in the Live Room (Warner Sound)

It sounds really nice, and is really great quality, but I was listening to Open and couldn't help but feel like they pitch corrected it a lot.. Does anyone else hear it? There's one spot in particular that struck me as not sounding real..

I should add that I'm not listening with headphones, so that could also be a factor.

^absolutely!! They did something profoundly wrong to the sound. I think they normalized and amplified it a lot so that the parts she almost whispers are heard at the same volume level as the rest. Which means that other parts which she sings really loudly are turned down and "cut". The whole dynamic of her voice is taken out. I can't believe Regina's beautiful vocal performance can be ruined by sound engineering and postproduction Mad Loudness war comes to mind...

thanks for posting... my ears are not what they were so I can't say for sure if I agree.. the sound and video are pristine though, and Regina really seems to enjoy 'Ne me Quitte Pas' and gets into 'Rowboats.. Have you tried the different settings (the little wrench icon thingie which runs the video at higher or lower resolution perhaps?

Every performances has definitely been pitch-corrected. (also called "auto-tune")

To me, this is extremely disappointing... mostly because none of these performances actually need the filtering, or even benefit from it. For someone like regina that has naturally great pitch, using pitch-correcting audio filters has a negative impact.

When she "speaks" certain words from songs, uses certain strain or emphasis on her voice, the filter tries to correct it, making a very unnatural product.

It is certainly curious because none of her vocal performances from these videos show any sign of her struggling, so I don't know why her voice is being filtered. It's a shame because without this pitch correction, these recordings would be fantastic.

I have never really been disappointed in something regina-related before, so this might be a first.

I do not hear the "pitch correction" you are hearing nor do I hear Regi's voice "ruined" in any way shape or form.

I love these. Yes, again, NMQP with the cello instead of the horns is just so excellent that am shivering. (The Warner Brothers lawyers who want me to call it by that Other Name are too silly for words.)

I encourage you to listen a little more carefully--maybe with some headphones so you can hear closely.

I don't mean to come off as if I am over reacting, but I don't think regina's voice being pitch-corrected is something I am comfortable listening to.

Perhaps your ears just don't pick up on it, and for that I am very jealous of you!!

edit: I don't believe this is up for discussion. As someone with experience mixing music, filtering sounds, and producing vocals, I can say with confidence that her voice is either being live-filtered by the sound man in the studio, or was pitch-corrected after the performance was recorded. It's not an opinion or a feeling.

quote:
Originally posted by Barth:

I do not hear the "pitch correction" you are hearing nor do I hear Regi's voice "ruined" in any way shape or form.

Her voice isn't ruined in these to me, but the pitch correction definitely takes away from it because of how obvious it is. Part of the reason I love Regina's voice is, yes, because of her perfections, but also an equal part because of her imperfections. It's an amazing balance that she has, like a yin-yang of sorts, but these pitch corrections just really mess with that for me.