Snowball13

Dance Anthem Of The 80's

It's a shame that there's no thread for that wonderfully bittersweet song, so here we go:

Lyrics:

You are so sweet

Dancing to that beat

There's a meat market down the street

The boys and the girls watch each other eat

You are so sweet, so sweet

Dancing and moving to that beat, that beat

The boys and girls watch each other eat

When they really just wanna watch each other

Sleep

They want to watch, to watch each other

Sleep, sleep sleep

Sleep

Sleep, sleep, sleep

You are so sweet

You are so sweet

I'm walking through the city

Like a drunk, but not

With my slip showing a little

Like a drunk, but not

And I am one of your people

But the cars don't stop

But the cars don't stop

And it's been a long time since before I've been touched

Now I'm getting touched all the time

And it's only a matter of whom

And it's only a matter of when

An addiction to hands and feet-

When they really just wanna watch each other sleep

Sleep

Sleep, sleep, sleep

Sleep

Sleep, sleep, sleep

Sleep

(They want to watch, to watch each other

They want to be watched, they want to be washed

They want to be touched, to touch each other

They want to sleep, they want to be slept

They want to watch, they want to be watched

To watch each other, to watch each other

Watch each other

Watch each other

Watch each other

Watch each other

Watch each other...)

Okay, here goes my interpretation:

The narrator is a prostitute, the "meat market" is the brothel.

"The boys and girls watch each other eat" = Usually you date before having sex and these dates often take place in restaurants (where you practically watch your partner eat).

"When they really just wanna watch each other sleep" = Actually people don't like dating, they just want someone to love - someone they can wake up next to, someone they can watch sleep. (Could also mean, that they only want to have sex and the dating is only to justify it - I prefer the former, though.)

"And it's been a long time since before I've been touched" = Maybe she's been raped, or she lost her virginity very early.

"Now I'm getting touched all the time" = Now she's a prostitute, so it doesn't matter anyway.

"An addiction to hands and feet" =

First option: She's talking about drugs (heroine is often injected into hands or feet (between fingers/toes) because you can hide it more easily).

Second option: She's talking about fetishes - BDSM (hands) and foot fetish (feet) for example. Makes sense as she's a prostitute.

I "prefer" the latter.

So, what do you think?

It's a shame that there's no thread for that wonderfully bittersweet song, so here we go:

Lyrics:

You are so sweet

Dancing to that beat

You are so sweet, so sweet

Dancing and moving to that beat, that beat

Sleep

Sleep, sleep sleep

Sleep

Sleep, sleep, sleep

You are so sweet

You are so sweet

Like a drunk, but not

Like a drunk, but not

But the cars don't stop

But the cars don't stop

An addiction to hands and feet-

When they really just wanna watch each other sleep

Sleep

Sleep, sleep, sleep

Sleep

Sleep, sleep, sleep

Sleep

(They want to watch, to watch each other

They want to watch, they want to be watched

To watch each other, to watch each other

Watch each other

Watch each other

Watch each other

Watch each other

Watch each other...)

Okay, here goes my interpretation:

The narrator is a prostitute, the "meat market" is the brothel.

"The boys and girls watch each other eat" = Usually you date before having sex and these dates often take place in restaurants (where you practically watch your partner eat).

"When they really just wanna watch each other sleep" = Actually people don't like dating, they just want someone to love - someone they can wake up next to, someone they can watch sleep. (Could also mean, that they only want to have sex and the dating is only to justify it - I prefer the former, though.)

"And it's been a long time since before I've been touched" = Maybe she's been raped, or she lost her virginity very early.

"Now I'm getting touched all the time" = Now she's a prostitute, so it doesn't matter anyway.

First option: She's talking about drugs (heroine is often injected into hands or feet (between fingers/toes) because you can hide it more easily).

Second option: She's talking about fetishes - BDSM (hands) and foot fetish (feet) for example. Makes sense as she's a prostitute.

I "prefer" the latter.

So, what do you think?

quote:
Originally posted by Snowball13:

"

It might aswell be that she had a "dry spell" - she didn't find any clients. " And I am one of your people/But the cars don't stop" might prove my point.

quote:

"An addiction to hands and feet"

I "prefer" the latter.

So, what do you think?

I prefer the first option : Drugs are often used to make the prostitutes hooked and being dependend on the pimp.

"You are so sweet, so sweet/Dancing and moving to that beat, that beat" might describe the work of a stripper. The client says it to the narrator.

"I'm walking through the city/Like a drunk, but not": In my opinion this can be compared to Carbon Monoxide's " walk, walk" part: They stroll through the city like a zombie : Dead in (on?) the inside.

quote:
Originally posted by It's all about the moon:

quote:

"

It might aswell be that she had a "dry spell" - she didn't find any clients. " And I am one of your people/But the cars don't stop" might prove my point.

Maybe I didn't get the meaning right, but she says "since BEFORE I've been touched". If it was "since I've been touched" I'd agree, but that "before" changes the meaning of the sentence, doesn't it? Isn't she saying that much time has passed since she was first "touched" (whatever that means)?

quote:
Originally posted by It's all about the moon:

"You are so sweet, so sweet/Dancing and moving to that beat, that beat" might describe the work of a stripper. The client says it to the narrator.

"I'm walking through the city/Like a drunk, but not": In my opinion this can be compared to Carbon Monoxide's " walk, walk" part: They stroll through the city like a zombie : Dead in (on?) the inside.

I'm pretty sure it's ON the inside (doesn't make sense, but does language ever make sense?).

And I agree with you, that's a good explanation for these lines!

quote:

Um.. I think 'eat' means 'having sex' in this song. I don't know.. 'the meat market', 'watch each other eat': I think Regina describes this kind of relationship as a rudimentary function. (I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, I don't know how to express myself).

So.. The boys and girls watch each other eat (they have sex without having a real relationship) when they really just wanna watch each other sleep (in fact they want a real relationship, someone they can wake up next to).

quote:

I've always thought that "an addiction to hands and feet" meant "an addiction to the body" (sexual addiction). But what you said makes sense, especially the first option.

Kaoir! Exactly my thoughts! I just didn't know how to express them, but I always thought the "watch each other sleep" represented something pure and innocent versus the "watch each other eat" was something raw, hurting each other. Watching others take something. Never connected it to sex but it makes sense.

I also had the idea that when they watch each other eat they watch the one they love being with someone else. Kinda like the line in Laughing With "hand in hand with someone else and you hope...". But what they really want is to be with the one they love and watch them sleep/be in a relationship with them. (I'm messing up the plural/singular persons here but I'm on my phone and won't try to correct it because I'll probably just erase the whole post.)

I picture this shy teenage boy who watch the pretty girl "eat"/being in relationships with the wrong people and doesn't have the guts to tell her that he wants to be the one to watch her sleep. And the narrator of the song observes this.

quote:
Originally posted by sweetness in my lungs:

I also had the idea that when they watch each other eat they watch the one they love being with someone else. Kinda like the line in Laughing With "hand in hand with someone else and you hope...". But what they really want is to be with the one they love and watch them sleep/be in a relationship with them. (I'm messing up the plural/singular persons here but I'm on my phone and won't try to correct it because I'll probably just erase the whole post.)

I picture this shy teenage boy who watch the pretty girl "eat"/being in relationships with the wrong people and doesn't have the guts to tell her that he wants to be the one to watch her sleep. And the narrator of the song observes this.

Yeah! I've always thought that the narrator was a prostitute but what you said also makes sense. In your opinion, the narrator is a shy boy (why not a girl?) who can't confess his love for someone. So.. according to your interpretation, the meat market is not necessarily a brothel, it could be a discotheque for example. The boy watches the pretty girl who is dancing, he thinks she is very sweet but he can't talk to her, so he decides to spend his time with other women. Maybe the girl feels the same. When the party is over, he walks through the city at night thinking how alone he is.. That's very sad.

quote:
Originally posted by kaoir:

quote:

Yeah! I've always thought that the narrator was a prostitute but what you said also makes sense. In your opinion, the narrator is a shy boy (why not a girl?) who can't confess his love for someone. So.. according to your interpretation, the meat market is not necessarily a brothel, it could be a discotheque for example. The boy watches the pretty girl who is dancing, he thinks she is very sweet but he can't talk to her, so he decides to spend his time with other women. Maybe the girl feels the same. When the party is over, he walks through the city at night thinking how alone he is.. That's very sad.

At first, I thought that's a very good explanation - from a completely new point of view.

But then I realised that this verse proves it wrong:

Like a drunk, but not

Like a drunk, but not

But the cars don't stop

But the cars don't stop

("slip"; "but the cars don't stop" + the last four lines)

Unless you can incorporate all that in your version, I'll stick with the prostitute story.

quote:
Originally posted by kaoir:

quote:

Um.. I think 'eat' means 'having sex' in this song. I don't know.. 'the meat market', 'watch each other eat': I think Regina describes this kind of relationship as a rudimentary function. (I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, I don't know how to express myself).

So.. The boys and girls watch each other eat (they have sex without having a real relationship) when they really just wanna watch each other sleep (in fact they want a real relationship, someone they can wake up next to).

and

quote:

Kaoir! Exactly my thoughts! I just didn't know how to express them, but I always thought the "watch each other sleep" represented something pure and innocent versus the "watch each other eat" was something raw, hurting each other. Watching others take something. Never connected it to sex but it makes sense.

I also had the idea that when they watch each other eat they watch the one they love being with someone else. Kinda like the line in Laughing With "hand in hand with someone else and you hope...". But what they really want is to be with the one they love and watch them sleep/be in a relationship with them.

I like that idea. It's kinda more poetic than taking it literally and thinking of people eating...

quote:

At first, I thought that's a very good explanation - from a completely new point of view.

But then I realised that this verse proves it wrong:

Like a drunk, but not

Like a drunk, but not

But the cars don't stop

But the cars don't stop

("slip"; "but the cars don't stop" + the last four lines)

Unless you can incorporate all that in your version, I'll stick with the prostitute story.

I'm not sure what you mean. What is contradicting?

I'm not saying the narrator is a boy. I'm saying I see a boy in my head from the narrator's point of view. "The narrator observes this." as I wrote in my previous post Smiler

I don't know if you have that expression in English, but in Swedish you can actually say "meat market" and it means something like "a lot of young pretty people in one place who can all be potential partners". It's a meat market. Just pick one! kinda thing.

So if this is at a discotheque there are lots of boys and girls looking for love. I've always pictured the person singing as older or more experienced than the people at the party. Therefore the expression "boys and girls" and not "men and women". The narrator is someone (a woman I think)whose been there once, but is now far enough from that place in her life that she can be an observer and see it for what it really is.

I don't see it like the narrator is interested in soemone because of the "you are so sweet". I think this is what the boys and girls think about each other.

Slip can mean a mistake or a skirt among other things, right? If it's refering to a skirt it can mean that the narrator is trying to be sexy. But the cars don't stop. Maybe she's too old now. But she makes sure to be touched at the bars and "discotheques" (is there a cooler word?). She still wants to be young and desireable. Even though she knows they don't really want to be just touched. They wanna be in a relationship/watch each other sleep.

Maybe it's the story of a party girl that has grown old, should've settled down and had a family but never did.

I don't know. I'm just thinking.

I always associated the cars in this song with the cars in Human of the Year. In Human of the Year they are beeping out a song in someone's honor but for her they don't even stop. If you think of those two songs being in the same village, doesn't it create a rather intersting view of the world?

The cars don't have to be literal either. They can just mean that no one notices her.