Snowball13

Dance Anthem Of The 80's

15 posts in this topic

quote:
Originally posted by sweetness in my lungs:

I'm not sure what you mean. What is contradicting?

Well, several things:

1. With my slip showing a little:

I can't imagine she means a "mistake" - she could've easily said it differently (and more clearly) then.

2. And I am one of your people:

Sounds extremely like a prostitute who's telling people to take her seriously and not think of her as trash or something.

3. But the cars don't stop:

Another name for prositutes is "street-walker", because they usually wait for "clients" at a street. And if no one wants anything to do with her (see above) the cars won't stop. And think of "Happy Hooker", where she sings "never was much of a looker, but always knew my way around in the dark" (from memory, so maybe wrong) - maybe she "recycled" that line (is that possible? Which song came first?).

What would that line mean in your version?

4. And it's been a long time since before I've been touched

Now I'm getting touched all the time

And it's only a matter of whom

And it's only a matter of when:

I already explained what these lines mean to me. And especially the last two: They describe a prostitute's life too perfectly not to be meant that way. How would that fit in your story?

I still like your version, though. If you find an explanation for 3 and 4, I'll believe you... maybe. :P

^

I'm not sure what you mean is my version? :P I never said the narrator was a boy, if that's what you mean?

Why can't it be a party girl who doesn't fit in in her own world anymore?

I like the prostitute story too! It fits with the "like a drunk but not"-part. I'm just saying I believe the first part is just an observation of a night out. People searching for the "wrong" things that aren't good for them in the long run.

quote:

I picture this shy teenage boy who watch the pretty girl "eat"/being in relationships with the wrong people and doesn't have the guts to tell her that he wants to be the one to watch her sleep. And the narrator of the song observes this.

quote:
Originally posted by kaoir:

Yeah! I've always thought that the narrator was a prostitute but what you said also makes sense. In your opinion, the narrator is a shy boy (why not a girl?) who can't confess his love for someone. So.. according to your interpretation, the meat market is not necessarily a brothel, it could be a discotheque for example. The boy watches the pretty girl who is dancing, he thinks she is very sweet but he can't talk to her, so he decides to spend his time with other women. Maybe the girl feels the same. When the party is over, he walks through the city at night thinking how alone he is.. That's very sad.

I'm sorry! I must've mixed up those two.

I thought you said the narrator was the boy/girl (I didn't have a problem with the gender btw), but you only said that the first part was about the boy/girl watching his/her crush...

quote:

I'm not saying the narrator is a boy. I'm saying I see a boy in my head from the narrator's point of view. "The narrator observes this." as I wrote in my previous post

Oops. I'm sorry I misunderstood your post. Smiler (I'm just a soul.. nevermind)

Actually, we have exactly the same thoughts except that the narrator could be both a prostitute or a party girl that has grown old.

Maybe this woman feels isolated and abandonned. She observes the young people and she remembers her youth. I think she has many regrets, she would love to be young again and have a family instead of having this kind of relationship. Sad song.

I think that the "meat market" is sort of supposed to put the sexual desires in your face. It says "An addiction to hands and feet/ there's a meet market down the street". To me, this says that if people are so addicted to flesh and touching "hands and feet" that they should just as easily find their fill at a meat market filled with the flesh of dead animals.

I can see how many people see this song as one about how people are sexual but want to be relational, but I saw it as the opposite when I first heard it. To me it sounds like society is being called out for being cheap with their love and for seeing people as only objects instead of for their full human characteristics. They/we are being called out for acting "sweet" when they are out on dates or "eating" but the entire time they are envisioning what it would be like to spend the night with the other person or to "sleep" with them.

I imagine at the same time that when she says "I am one of your people, but the cars don't stop" that she is saying that she belongs to the city physically in that everyone knows her body/ everyone has slept with her "with my slip/ shown a little", but at the same time the cars not stopping shows that even though they can see her they don't care about her because they never saw her as a real person, but as a piece of meat.

RJLupin2 likes this