Sign in to follow this  
jellybeanjules

Oct 2 Baltimore @ the Lyric

Ah, no worries Mikaela. haha I'm taking 1/2 day off work for it. But I'll be there. It's the second closest show to me (by 10miles)and it's still 4 hours away. Traveling far is just a necessity.

btw isn't it quite a trip for you jellybeanjules?

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

quote:
Originally posted by himynameism:

I will be there! So excited to finally see her in my home state!

Holy cow, Marielle, you're gonna give Jamie & Aaron a run for their money with all this Regina traveling you're doing.

Well I'm only going to a couple! Smiler

This theatre is only 20 minutes away from me! It's the closest I've ever had to travel to see her!

quote:
btw isn't it quite a trip for you jellybeanjules?

haha I've been living all over the place, undergrad college in Colorado, then San Diego, now grad school at Georgetown in DC. So Baltimore is an easy 45 minutes now Big Grin I'm excited you're all coming too!! It's going to be a really good time

Here's everything I've been holding in waiting for the new stix. Enjoy!

After a rainy, 4 hour trip south I was happy to see regina’s tour bus on the street by the venue. Good sign, haha. The Lyric was huge and had permanent strongly worded signage against recording devices on the doors. It was a little worrisome, but nobody even searched. Not only did I take in a camera, but an entire bottle of water as well. I’m always extra happy when they let that by. They opened the doors to the theater part around 7:30 and it was a relatively formal affair. Staff was intent on checking tickets and assuring that people knew where to go. It was funny when the older gentleman examining tickets on our side and explaining where the seats were, progressed through the line of people at a steady pace, “you are in the 7th row; somewhere towards the middle.” “Next: ok, 3rd row; two seats from the isle.” Takes our tickets….[pause]… slowly looks up with a big smile, “and you….are in the FRONT row, not quite the middle, but almost.” The way he said it, was so great, like we were such lucky lucky people. Of course he didn’t have to point that out to me. ;) The stage was slightly high and a speaker obscured my sightline to regina so I had to lean to the left the whole time to see her at the piano. Excellent vantage, however for Only Son. Full band was present including tambourine man who, standing in the back almost entirely out of the cool white blaze of lights on the band, had toned down the energy level by, well, a lot. No sunglasses or over-the-top dancing and sweating. He still had the antigravity hair thing going on, but really if you hadn’t been there at those other shows, you never would’ve suspected a thing. Jack was hilarious doing his voices and saying random stuff. “And that’s what talking for no reason sounds like” he said once between songs. The crowd here was pretty receptive to Only Son, but then again how can people not be entertained?!

The Lyric was a pretty huge place and not sold out, there were a lot of empty spaces way way at the top. The stage was prepared for regina’s band and a thin layer of fog flowed across the stage for ambiance. My heart was pounding. I don’t understand why I can’t just be a normal person at sit there calmly. I’ve done this how many times?! Yet I am still overwhelmed by complete sympathetic overload each time she appears. Wearing a green and black patterned dress she saw us almost immediately as she took up the microphone for Ain’t No Cover and, what?! Her hair was straight! Wow! After moving to the piano for the Calculation, she messed up the first line and stopped to restart. It was funny and perfect. It was relieving in a strange way. Yep, for all the hanging squares, fog machines, the hoards of stage hands, the new band, the backwards piano, never doubt, this is still regina. I’ve got nothing but love.

The crowd was decent. Although I believe someone sitting near me came there straight from working their shift at McDonalds because I kept getting these nauseating whiffs of fast food. Gross. Anyway… people were respectful overall, but appropriately filled with adoration. Various I love yous. Even an “I love you more” battle from audience members to which regina responded, “I love you Baltimore...” Then retorted about how she must be an old man making puns. There were a few requests, the most interesting of which was for 2.99. Unusual... As always, people begged for Samson. But she didn’t play it. LOL I just can’t help but laughing. Samson is a fine song and all, but people seriously go off their heads when she doesn’t play it. It’s ridiculous to hear people saying afterwards, “yeah this show was great and everything, but OMG how could she not play SAMSON??? ::tear::” And believe me, they do. I guess I just don’t understand, sigh.

Setlist was pretty typical of prior shows this year, but Open was noticeably absent. Hoping that’s not a trend, because it’s one of the absolute best things from the Spring shows. Anyway, the intro to Ballad of a Politician was new and amazing. Gorgeous ominous cello. Swoon. She said after that they made it special for The Colbert Report, but wow, wow was it incredible live. It’s insane how much of a transformation that song has made since she first played it. It just keeps telling more and more of a story. She also played Better, which sounded revitalized in a way. In fact, I was struck by how much it sounded like the Better (concept). The drums were super, I could almost see the little drummer boy and regi dancing around the field from the vid. It was really cool. I thought the drums sounded particularly amazing in Oh Marcello as well. Regina definitely wasn’t being lost during this show, her voice was commanding in the forefront even during huge songs like All the Rowboats. Jack came out for Call them Brothers and the scene was unbearably cute. Jack couldn’t hear guitar in the monitor and as the soundboard was working on it. Jack said something to the effect of how it would be bad for them to play the song and have a video up on youtube of them sounding really shitty. Regina was like, “hey there are lots of videos of me sounding shitty on youtube. I know because I’ve seen them.” The audience responded with a collective “Awww” as if to say, that’s not true. Regina mocked us, but Jack said what we were all thinking and started a “that’s not true!” chant which the audience joined. And really, it’s NOT true…even at the extreme of sickness sadness, windiness, and whatever else she sounds amazing. During dance anthem she smiled at us a few times. J Back at the piano things were winding down when she played The Party. I adore it, and smiled hard when the girl next to me, who had come by herself and had been quiet thus far, started chuckling. Yeah, it is kind of a funny song, lest we forget. She finished with the 3 song encore Us-Fidelity-Hotel Song and exited to the heartbreak of a bunch of people. Haha As I left the theater I heard a least 5 people complaining about her not playing Samson, as well as a bunch of positive comments about Ballad of a Politician.

In the lobby we waited to see Jack. One girl approached him and said, “I just love your voice.” And really, need you say more? His voice is fantastic. Another funny moment came when a different girl asked for an autograph. Jack obliged. Then they girl asked if he could just sign regina’s name too. He was like, uh ok, and turning to Aaron and I he says “you guys know what it looks like, right?” He tried but got it obviously wrong. We laughed, and the girl was amused and told him not to worry she’d just say regina was having a really off day. Lol Outside the night was heavy with fog. Though not hot, the humidity was stifling as we waited with about 30 others in a gated area. After a few minutes of waiting two people approached us because they had been locked out of their car and needed a phone to call for some assistance. I offered mine. They questioned, “are these people waiting for regina?” Yes. They were like, hmm well, looks like we’ve got time now so maybe getting locked out was a good thing, we’ll get to meet her. And they did. It made me extra happy for some reason. She came out after only about an hour.

8059506304_ceae5487f5_b.jpg

8059546419_4f8ea020e0_b.jpg

8059542957_90ab230207_b.jpg

8059538585_18a3559783_b.jpg

8059533783_b1826ccf19_b.jpg

8059528864_7bee544454_b.jpg

8059521023_844c7db777_b.jpg

8059516233_56eaaa7754_b.jpg