Sign in to follow this  
TC

Best Introductory Record?

Hey guys!

I'm in the process of getting someone I know into Regina and I'm trying to decide which album is the best representation of her work as a whole.

I was thinking Soviet Kitsch but I may be a bit biased. (It's one of my favorites.)

I guess my real dilemma is whether to share a stripped-down and raw or more produced Regina. Thinky thoughts?

Hey guys!

I'm in the process of getting someone I know into Regina and I'm trying to decide which album is the best representation of her work as a whole.

I was thinking Soviet Kitsch but I may be a bit biased. (It's one of my favorites.)

I guess my real dilemma is whether to share a stripped-down and raw or more produced Regina. Thinky thoughts?

I feel like Soviet Kitsch and Begin To Hope are good introductions to both of her styles (her newer style and older style). What We Saw From The Cheap Seats is runner up for me.

Speaking from experience, I would start with Begin to Hope because it is a bit more...I don't know if accessible is the right word. I think of it as a bit less intimidating in terms of Regina's strong style. It's has a bit more of the mainstream (Fidelity, Samson) mixed in with the unique and odd-ball stuff (Music Box, That Time, etc...). I feel like Soviet Kitsch leans a bit more towards the latter (maybe excepting Us). I think if you are trying to introduce someone to her body of work, they need to sort of ease into the more stripped down stuff. Of course, I know this will differ from person to person. This is just what I've found when people ask. It's almost easier to make a mix cd--I definitely have a playlist on my Ipod that is called "Intro to Respekt."

PS I just want to note that I'm not thinking in terms of better/worse. The songs I mention happen to be some of my favorites :)

I second Begin to Hope... excellent record and more 'accessible' to a new listener.

My #1 HAS to be the Live in London....a steal for about $20 US - you get the DVD and the CD. Seeing Regina's musicianship and charisma in concert is an excellent way to gain a convert!

Even though Begin to Hope makes the most sense as an introductory album, I vote Soviet Kitsch. The first time I heard that album I was instantly hooked. I think if you were to show your friend the survival guide to soviet kitsch video thingy they would be hooked, too! And people really love the song "Us" (judging by the fact that everyone completely goes crazy when she plays it live). I think it would be almost better to start with the not so mainstream songs so you can really get a feel for her music!

I think it depends on listener, when you come right down to it. My daughter was always cool to her music, but was impressed when I sent her Soviet Kitsch, I don't think she would have warmed as much to Begin to Hope or Far.

You have to know your audience ;)

I third 'Begin To Hope'. While all her albums have a lot of variety, 'Begin To Hope' has it with normallness and oddness. As an avid Regina fan that's not my favorite way to articulate that but with how you're all talking I think you know what I mean. For instance I don't think it's best to convert a person by starting them out with 'Pavlov's Daughter' or 'Poor Little Rich Boy'. But, it is songs just like that that you want them to eventually appreciate. 'Begin To Hope' gives them all of it. With 'Better' & 'Fidelity' & 'On The Radio' for example, but then they get 'Apres Moi' and '20 Years Of Snow' and 'Music Box'. It helps them ween into her genius. My opinion. The question, if I understand it right, is not which album do WE like best, or, it's not about saying loyal things about personal favorites, it's about conversion of the non-acclamated Regina newbie. Begin to Hope is it. Hands Down!!

I agree that her newer stuff is better as intro, especially far and begin to hope. Cheap seats is another knockout, up there with SK for me. I can't get over how wonderful this album is! But I don't think it's the ideal intro album. None of them is, really, but probably bth and far.

begin to hope is good because it's where a new listener is most likely to recognize a song or two, but then it does have a lot of that "weirdness" that can be really hit-or-miss with a new listener. I mean, if they're digging 20 years of snow, that's great, but that just means you might as well have played them Daniel Cowman or pavlov's daughter--they were going to be a fan no matter what!

But you want to avoid the really "niche" pieces as much as possible, so i'd venture far as your go-to intro album: squeaky-clean vocals, polished production, and the songs themselves tend to center around more accessible/universal content (religion and philosophy, rather than songs about pickles and meatballs!). It has genius and wallet, which are story songs, and i have yet to find someone who doesn't enjoy the liveliness of dance anthem!

So, if your potential convert is more likely to go for things that they've heard before, or that people they know will have heard, then open up with begin to hope. But if you're worried they won't be able to keep an open mind throughout the record, or will jump around, then skip bth and go for far, because it's polished and the least niche-y album, imho!