Sign in to follow this  
Wishful Friend

Chicago/Grand Rapids/Cleveland

This is my first attempt at a topic post, so please be gentle. I'm sorry if I break some etiquette rules! I'm also sorry if this ends up to be a bit lengthy.

First, let me start off by saying I went to see these three shows because I had the time and resources available...and Regina is just that awesome to me. :) However, after seeing these three shows, you can tell she has a very different enthusiasm level for different shows depending upon the atmosphere. The first concert I ever attended was practically perfect in every way (Upper Darby, PA this past May), and honestly I cannot recall the details that specifically to judge it side-by-side with these three shows. So the comparison will only be between these three shows and my own observations and interpretations.

The Cleveland concert (my hometown) was something I had eagerly anticipated the moment the tour was announced. I knew I could plan it better and improve upon what I thought I didn't have the chance to experience while in Upper Darby. The House of Blues was a general admission, standing-room venue (with some reserved seats, but why sit so far away when you have a chance to be right at the stage?!) that kept the audience to a relatively small and intimate gathering. However, because it was general admission, I knew my spot would be based on how early I was willing to get there. I wanted to be first in line...but since I had to compromise with my friends who were willing to accompany me, we made it there two hours early and was tenth in line rather than first. ;) oh well. haha Now I had thought this would basically secure a spot along the rail right at the stage, and I would get to take great pictures and have the best seat in the house. Little did I know that the House of Blues would sabotage my plans. They had informed people that if they spend $20 in their gift shop, they would be given an advantage to go in before the line that had formed.

I did not expect a hundred people to have been let in before myself when the doors opened at seven.

This was probably the most disappointing aspect of the show. It wasn't even only the fact these people were let in earlier, but some of them at the front were definitely not her biggest fans in the world, and continued to interrupt the show. Don't get me wrong, I feel like Regina was a trooper - keeping her cool the whole night and sounding magnificent as always - but there were glares towards stage right at the front of the crowd because they kept talking. I did not know this until later, but I'm fairly certain 2 songs were not sung that night. (Oh Marcello and Hotel Song). If these were sung in Cleveland, please feel free to remind me. I just cannot remember them though.

After the show, she was really unable to stay long (I had originally attributed it to the cold and less-than-desirable weather), but maybe Cleveland fans had upset her enough that she didn't want to stay? That is all just speculation though.

Anyway, I think opinion developed about the Cleveland show only after seeing the other two.

------------------------

Honestly, I cannot believe no one has posted from the Grand Rapids show! That was a show full of energy, and just incredible enthusiasm from the crowd and herself! She might have been a little sick or something, but you could definitely tell Regina was more than smiley about the show! (Maybe because it was Mathias' birthday and everyone had had a few drinks?) Regardless, the show was super awesome and she wore the dress that she wore in the Ne Me Quitte Pas video! Does everyone know what I'm talking about? If I ever get my pictures uploaded, you can see about what I am speaking. (Is that grammatically correct? Sorry, my mind wanders.) Really though, the show was fantastic, she was jamming out for a little while just to life, had a fun story about jumping on a trampoline in Detroit with her friend's little kid, and so much more giggly than the Cleveland show!

Afterwards, there were about 20 of us that waited out in the cold to meet her, and she was more than happy to take pictures with us all and sign everyone's items. It was really cool to see some of the things people brought too! I'm pretty sure she signed someone's credit card, a girl had a copy of the Survival Guide to Soviet Kitsch, and another guy had a vinyl of Soviet Kitsch (at least I think it was that album). The group waiting was really talkative and really friendly. Also, none of the people that were waiting after the show claimed to go to Calvin College. Maybe we're all just crazy fans.

------------------------

For Chicago, the venue was incredibly beautiful, and the crowd I think was of 5,000 people-ish? This one had a little more noise to it though. People were still walking in the theater up until Jack's final song (maybe even after), and during the show people were still slightly chatty. However it was definitely a show that you could tell Regina was super lively! Maybe it was because she was really excited her 91-year-old family friend was in the audience, or maybe just loves the city of Chicago? (Both very acceptable reasons to me.) Whatever the case may be, she was really happy and even seemed extra talkative with the audience that night. She shared a few random stories with the crowd (one about the Scorpions and what she thinks every time she says hello to the city of Chicago, and some fun interactions with her Microphone tech guy and Jack). After the show she waited for every single person again to give an autograph and take pictures if they wanted. You could tell she was a walking zombie by the time everyone was finished though. She's just sooo freaking nice though! Basically still an amazing role model to me. Hopefully she'll go on tour again near me and I'll be more than happy to see her again. :)

-----------------------

After my little tour, I wish I could have a little question and answer session with her. Maybe some of you have the same questions? (or maybe they've been answered long-ago and I just haven't read them)

1. Do you hate it when audience members shout out song suggestions?

2. Does it bother you when the audience sings along?

3. How do I become a roadie/employed by your tour? haha

Also, I feel like I want to ask Jack some questions (more the social-scientist in me I guess), but I don't know if it is taboo or not! Please tell me someone has the same feelings about the subject of opening for his wife and having people still walk in the concert while he's performing his opening set. After hearing Jack, he is freaking hilarious! That's both on-stage and after the show. You can tell he has a great sense of humor and loves interacting with everyone that comes to talk with him after the show.

Anyway, that's my gargantuan post. Here's one picture I have that I really like. Hope you all enjoy it too! (hopefully I posted it correctly too!)

3Nwtu.jpg

My honest impression is that she didn't do it because that one guy had shouted out that she should bring Jack back for Hotel Song. "Do Hotel Song with him." I feel like she avoided the song because she was nervous about eliciting further uncomfortable comments in that vein.

I want to reply to other aspects of your post, but I'm at work so it'll have to wait until later!

My honest impression is that she didn't do it because that one guy had shouted out that she should bring Jack back for Hotel Song. "Do Hotel Song with him." I feel like she avoided the song because she was nervous about eliciting further uncomfortable comments in that vein.

I want to reply to other aspects of your post, but I'm at work so it'll have to wait until later!

I definitely agree. I was thinking the same thing when she didn't play it. I wish people didn't have to yell out things like that. <_<

I definitely agree. I was thinking the same thing when she didn't play it. I wish people didn't have to yell out things like that. <_<

Really?? :blink:

I mean.. The crowd in Paris was absolutely amazing but she didn't play Us..

Really?? :blink:

I mean.. The crowd in Paris was absolutely amazing but she didn't play Us..

Yeah in this instance it really seemed spur of the moment, like the band sort of stumbled off unexpectedly. Obviously I could be wrong, but that's my sense of it.

Sure there are times when she just DOESN'T play stuff you'd expect. Like not playing Samson in Baltimore or say PLRB a time or two last tour despite playing it at like every other show. Maybe those are spur of the moment decisions because she doesn't "feel" like it or she's running over some time limit or whatever, but this, to me, felt like a direct consequence of the crowd. Not as a punishment for being bad, but just more as a measure taken to save herself grief.

First, let me start off by saying I went to see these three shows because I had the time and resources available...and Regina is just that awesome to me. :) However, after seeing these three shows, you can tell she has a very different enthusiasm level for different shows depending upon the atmosphere.

The Cleveland concert (my hometown) was something I had eagerly anticipated the moment the tour was announced. I

knew I could plan it better and improve upon what I thought I didn't have the chance to experience while in Upper Darby. The House of Blues was a general admission, standing-room venue (with some reserved seats, but why sit so far away when you have a chance to be right at the stage?!) that kept the audience to a relatively small and intimate gathering. However, because it was general admission, I knew my spot would be based on how early I was willing to get there. I wanted to be first in line...but since I had to compromise with my friends who were willing to accompany me, we made it there two hours early and was tenth in line rather than first. ;) oh well. haha Now I had thought this would basically secure a spot along the rail right at the stage, and I would get to take great pictures and have the best seat in the house. Little did I know that the House of Blues would sabotage my plans. They had informed people that if they spend $20 in their gift shop, they would be given an advantage to go in before the line that had formed.

I did not expect a hundred people to have been let in before myself when the doors opened at seven.

------------------------

Honestly, I cannot believe no one has posted from the Grand Rapids show!

------------------------

After the show she waited for every single person again to give an autograph and take pictures if they wanted. You could tell she was a walking zombie by the time everyone was finished though. She's just sooo freaking nice though! Basically still an amazing role model to me. Hopefully she'll go on tour again near me and I'll be more than happy to see her again. :)

-----------------------

After my little tour, I wish I could have a little question and answer session with her. Maybe some of you have the same questions? (or maybe they've been answered long-ago and I just haven't read them)

1. Do you hate it when audience members shout out song suggestions?

2. Does it bother you when the audience sings along?

3. How do I become a roadie/employed by your tour? haha

Also, I feel like I want to ask Jack some questions (more the social-scientist in me I guess), but I don't know if it is taboo or not! Please tell me someone has the same feelings about the subject of opening for his wife and having people still walk in the concert while he's performing his opening set. After hearing Jack, he is freaking hilarious! That's both on-stage and after the show. You can tell he has a great sense of humor and loves interacting with everyone that comes to talk with him after the show.

Props for going to all those shows. I was at Cleveland, but not the others, so thanks for filling me in! I really wish I could've been at the Calvin show. One of my really good friends went to school there. I would've loved to check it out. Alas i had to work.

A lot of venues have implemented some form of early entry crap as a money making scheme. I can't decide if I love it or hate it. It's certainly caused me to waste even more $$ this tour. Wasted more $$ and slightly less time? Is it really a good trade off, I am on the fence. I was privy to the HOB one, so of course I was in the restarant eating pre-show. I truly feel kinda bad because just like you said, die hard people could be standing out there in horrible conditions for hours and get utterly screwed by people who have the money. Which pretty much sums up life in general, not just these shows. But venues really have zero sense of fairness when it comes to these things.

I'm glad to be hearing only good reports from the Chicago show. Last time she played there security was nasty and the whole scene was just bad. I reminded regina and her tour manager about that, in Detroit, in hopes of them putting the kabosh on the venue staff's bad behavior before it affected anyone (most of all regina). So good for them for handling it well. I'm happy there was no pushing and shoving this time.

In attempted answer to some of your questions:

There is that

(~ 6min mark) where she says that she wants to die torn apart by angry people who want her to play different songs.

As far as singing along, there's also

where she almost cries because she thinks it's so beautiful that people are singing along.

I wouldn't go so far as to say she HATES either thing. In fact, I think she kind of loves it when people sing along, especially during popular songs. It's impressive and fun, I'd imagine, to know that YOU put those words inside all those people.She smiles about the singing often and seems to enjoy it when the audience can carry her when she forgets the words. I think she does dislike it when people oversing her badly during quiet serious songs and/or annoy other people who, in turn, make a commotion trying to shut the offending singer up. I think she HATES when people have loud outbursts during quiet songs, esp Blue Lips. The requests i think she just takes them all in. She always seems amazed that people know all the songs. She has at times offered apologies for not knowing requested songs. She's told people to go listen to it online, She's made refelective comments like "ah, memories" after an onslaught of requests. She's also said things like, "people that's why i make records." So again, i think she realizes it's going to happen and it doesn't necessarily bother her perse. But there's a time and place when it gets out of control. For instance, when one dumb guy screams "HOTEL SONG" after every song, or when someone requests a song she's already played, or interupts a song with a request, that stuff.

As for Jack, well, he's just cool. He told us in cleveland that he doesn't give a shit. He realizes he's the opener, and that feels a lot different than the main act. He just plays and if people listen, they listen, if not, their loss.

There's my gargantuan response. :D

Props for going to all those shows. I was at Cleveland, but not the others, so thanks for filling me in! I really wish I could've been at the Calvin show. One of my really good friends went to school there. I would've loved to check it out. Alas i had to work.

A lot of venues have implemented some form of early entry crap as a money making scheme. I can't decide if I love it or hate it. It's certainly caused me to waste even more $$ this tour. Wasted more $$ and slightly less time? Is it really a good trade off, I am on the fence. I was privy to the HOB one, so of course I was in the restarant eating pre-show. I truly feel kinda bad because just like you said, die hard people could be standing out there in horrible conditions for hours and get utterly screwed by people who have the money. Which pretty much sums up life in general, not just these shows. But venues really have zero sense of fairness when it comes to these things.

I'm glad to be hearing only good reports from the Chicago show. Last time she played there security was nasty and the whole scene was just bad. I reminded regina and her tour manager about that, in Detroit, in hopes of them putting the kabosh on the venue staff's bad behavior before it affected anyone (most of all regina). So good for them for handling it well. I'm happy there was no pushing and shoving this time.

I wouldn't go so far as to say she HATES either thing. In fact, I think she kind of loves it when people sing along, especially during popular songs. It's impressive and fun, I'd imagine, to know that YOU put those words inside all those people.She smiles about the singing often and seems to enjoy it when the audience can carry her when she forgets the words. I think she does dislike it when people oversing her badly during quiet serious songs and/or annoy other people who, in turn, make a commotion trying to shut the offending singer up. I think she HATES when people have loud outbursts during quiet songs, esp Blue Lips. The requests i think she just takes them all in. She always seems amazed that people know all the songs. She has at times offered apologies for not knowing requested songs. She's told people to go listen to it online, She's made refelective comments like "ah, memories" after an onslaught of requests. She's also said things like, "people that's why i make records." So again, i think she realizes it's going to happen and it doesn't necessarily bother her perse. But there's a time and place when it gets out of control. For instance, when one dumb guy screams "HOTEL SONG" after every song, or when someone requests a song she's already played, or interupts a song with a request, that stuff.

As for Jack, well, he's just cool. He told us in cleveland that he doesn't give a shit. He realizes he's the opener, and that feels a lot different than the main act. He just plays and if people listen, they listen, if not, their loss.

Chicago was surprisingly calm! There were so many tickets available, and it was kind of cool. I wasn't completely sure if I was going to go initially, so I didn't buy any in advance like I had for Cleveland and Calvin. But I found some great seats off a guy on Craigslist, and only wanted face value for them. I more than happily obliged. I'm really happy there were no shanangins or anything like you had mentioned!

As for Cleveland, if I had known what the situation was going to be with the letting the people in early and all, ahead of those that had waited in line, I would have left in a heartbeat to buy some stupid garbage in their store. I thought I had an advantage for arriving so early. I guess it was just incredibly disappointing to find out it did not make much of a difference. I'll keep that in mind next time I attend any show at the House of Blues. The people yelling during the show there were definitely not shouting terms of endearment. It's like they were ordering her around, and maybe drank too much or something. That's super exciting she loves it when people sing along (mostly because I LOVE singing along.) :)

**On a side note, there is one thing that really bothers me when people singing along, and it's mostly on the song 'Us.' I sang in choirs for 14 years of my life, and one thing that really stuck with me is not to hold on to the 's' sound when singing. It just sounds like a big hiss or something. haha but I guess that is just a personal issue. It's still really awesome when everyone sings along.

In response to Jack, I want to believe what he says so badly. It is so difficult for me to believe that it at least doesn't bother him on some level. And it really is their loss for not listening! Not only have his songs grown on me these past two weeks, but I seriously wish I could just have a conversation with him because he has to be one of the funniest guys alive. I'd love to hear his sarcastic remarks to just everyday life.

Also, I really wish I could have attended the Milwaukee show. It sounded like another good time! Plus, I love the thought of anonymously meeting other members of the forum here. :)

bHaGQ.jpg

As for Cleveland, if I had known what the situation was going to be with the letting the people in early and all, ahead of those that had waited in line, I would have left in a heartbeat to buy some stupid garbage in their store. I thought I had an advantage for arriving so early. I guess it was just incredibly disappointing to find out it did not make much of a difference. I'll keep that in mind next time I attend any show at the House of Blues. The people yelling during the show there were definitely not shouting terms of endearment. It's like they were ordering her around, and maybe drank too much or something. That's super exciting she loves it when people sing along (mostly because I LOVE singing along.) :)

I imagine that would have been my reaction if it had happened to me (I'm really short, I would have seen nothing had I not been up front). Fortunately, my two friends and I arrived rather early (I'd guess 3PM) after a long road trip and chatted with someone in the ticket window who informed us of it. Given that we needed dinner anyways, it worked nicely.

And I'd agree that she definitely enjoys when people sing along to an extent - you can sometimes even see her form a smile when the rouse picks up a bit in the lively songs, but she definitely has a limit, and some songs just need their quiet atmosphere to accompany them. As far as requests and such, I'd imagine she's aware of them, because even Jack was joking about how she knows everybody wants her to play certain songs (..which was followed by jokes of using old copies of 11:11 as coffee coasters. He assured us he was joking, but I still can't help but cry on the inside).