Sign in to follow this  
GreenStandsForLove

2012.11.05 Bass Concert Hall Austin, TX

I got to go to this show last night with my husband. I've been a fan for so long, but this was my very first show. The show was great, but we were just slightly too far back to make out Jack or Regina's features. Some fun highlights:

She was just getting started with "How," and someone in the front section yells, "Marry my brother!" I thought she was going to ignore it for a moment, but then she stops completely and giggles and very playfully says, "Did you just say 'marry my brother?' You can't make jokes right now! This is for serious."

Another time, lots of people were screaming and screeching in between songs, and she says, "Sometimes I worry for a moment that those really bloodcurdling ones are someone getting murdered. This whole place is kind of like a dark alley... With lights only on me... But, I mean, you know, it's mostly positive... Murder... Uh, and then the rest are like 'happy birthday' kinds, so it's ok!"

After the show, we waited for her to come out so we could say hi. There were lots of people... Around 50 or so. Word is really getting out about meeting her, I guess. Plus, this is Austin, so everyone probably intuitively knows how to meet bands after shows any way. We kept expecting the crowd to diminish, especially because most people looked like they were in high school or something.

But after an hour and a half, almost everyone was still there. She came out, and I think she was completely overwhelmed. Her body gaurds were trying to hurry everyone along with photos and autographs. So many people were freaking out and saying what a surreal experience it was for them. And they would freak out about her as they were standing next to her! Something about the whole thing just made me a little sick. It just felt like more people weren't even treating her as a person, just some supernatural entity who wasn't really there or something. It was weird. People kept trying to come back to her over and over again to sign shit, and she was turning them away.

When it was my turn, I introduced myself and told her my name. I asked for a hug, which I got. Then I asked how she was, but she didn't really get my meaning. She just looked overwhelmed and said she had a lot of stuff to sign. I asked if I could at least have a picture, and she did come back and take one with us. We left after that so the crowd would at least be a tiny bit smaller. I just felt so sad for her...

If there had been half as many people, I think she would have been fine. It was still a good night, and an amazing show. I have a picture with her! But it still breaks my heart thinking about all the people who didn't seem to actually care about HER, just their idol.

Thanks for the thoughts and the links.. I agree that people wait for Regina to meet THEIR needs not to meet her as a person... I noted that she seemed exhausted after the CT show and only very briefly agreed to sign autographs and take pictures; though she graciously agreed to each person's request. As I had already had my picture, I decided not to wait after the Beacon show, and would likely feel guilty asking for her time in the future....

I noted that she seemed exhausted after the CT show and only very briefly agreed to sign autographs and take pictures; though she graciously agreed to each person's request.

It didn't help that there was one guy who was making wisecracks like "Hey Regina, you should take a picture with me as if I'm the celebrity and you're excited to see me!", and "Aw, they got you a gift. I wish I got a gift..."

It didn't help that there was one guy who was making wisecracks like "Hey Regina, you should take a picture with as if I'm the celebrity and you're excited to see me!", and "Aw, they got you a gift. I wish I got a gift..."

"Mathias?! That's like... NOT EVEN A NAME." Asshole.

People forget that she's a person. :(

But it makes me so sad! I wanted to meet her as an amazing woman whom I ardently admire. I wanted to say something to show my appreciation for her talent and her art. She probably figured I was just the same kind of person as everyone else. I cried later and I'm beginning to cry now, because I feel like I'll never get another chance. Like, even if I go to see her again, I shouldn't wait for her with the rest because I've already got my picture...

It's probably ridiculous. I'm ridiculous. But her music is like a part of me. She feels like a friend. I just wish I could have a normal conversation with her without all those star-struck fans around...

Isn't one of her band members name Mathias? Was it possibly said when she introduced him?

Some people just depress me.

Oh, yeah, that'd make sense... I would be pretty annoyed if I heard that..

About your encounter with Regina, if I have any advice for you, it's to keep it up and be persistent! Definitely don't stop trying because, honestly, it's completely worth it, and there's nothing wrong with staying after just to say hello. :)