Sign in to follow this  
robertaxel

11:11

Hi;

Being a relatively recent member of this forum (I joined in June after really getting involved with Regina's music) I decided to download this mp3 album from Amazon. I had been acquainted with a few songs (especially Braille and Rejazz) but decided to download the entire album.

I was mostly struck by how jazz oriented this album is.. Regina easily could pass for a jazz singer from the 30s and 40s, IMO. Rejazz and I Want to Sing sound like they could be vintage jazz recordings and 2.99 blues while more blues oriented (what piano!) could also be from the jazz era.

To me, Braille remains the masterpiece cut on this album with stunning lyrics, melody and delivery... a song I could easily imagine a young Joni Mitchell having written - I can't imagine a much higher compliment than that...

Any other thoughts on this album?

R

It's a masterpiece. Imo, it's like nothing she's ever done or will do ever again.

I'm extremely interested in the info jesse posted recently about the outtakes from it. three songs, right? hopefully we'll get to hear them one day

The Lady Day cover on the Boardwalk Empire soundtrack gives us further hints of what she can do. And never say never. It took Joni many years to embrace her jazz roots (with much teeth gnashing among the fans) and the triumphant Herbie Hancock tribute to her, which won a Grammy somehow, completed that circle. Regina is still growing. Her talents are way beyond what we have heard and seen so far. In fact, we have seen hints of an acting talent as well. I think we are in for some truly amazing, wonderful, beautiful and unexpected things from Regina in the years to come. The most creative singer songwriter of my youth was, easily, Joni Mitchell. And today there is nobody who even approaches Regina.

Definitely her jazziest record. I think Regina said something in an interview about discovering a lot of famous jazz vocalists when she was in college, and it affected her songwriting/singing style.