Sign in to follow this  
Ms.Eloise

New music we should all hear

Anyone around here heard of Jens Lekman? Besides his ability to tell a great narrative, he's done a cover of Paul Simon's You Can Call Me Al, so you know he has great taste!

You can listen to a lot of his songs

here.

My personal favorites are The Opposite of Hallelujah and Postcard to Nina.

Though not exactly new, I think you should all give Hop Along, Queen Ansleis a listnin' to. I saw them live some years ago and they put on an incredibly fun and interactive show. I've also showed them to fellow Stixer, JohnnyC and gotten a good response (I hope he didn't beat me to recommending 'em here haha.) Enjoy!

Nobody has mentioned The Magnetic Fields yet (although stwongbad gets half-credit for Irving Berlin). They've been around for awhile, but they just released a new album, Distortion, which is worth a listen (although "69 Love Songs" is their masterpiece). They've got the irreverant approach to pop and witty songwriting that I'm sure Regina fans will appreciate...

Sooo I might have posted a couple of these links already but quite frankly im too lazy to check.

First of all, Peggy Sue and the Pirates are a female duo from Brighton and are really cool. They like Regina, and you can tell shes influenced them but theyve got a really original sound. they've toured with Kate Nash but I think they're better than her. I recommend 'Spare Parts' and 'Superman'

Secondly, Florence and the Machine is amazing. Its a woman called Florence and the machine is whoever is playing the guitar or whatever. She sings songs about tell-tale birds and a girl with one eye. and her voice is quite something.

Lastly, Laura Marling is a folky poppy singer/somgwriter and her album 'Alas, I cannot swim' is one of my favourites of the year so far.

I also agree with Bits that you should check out Blood Red Shoes cos they're pretty good.

I'm not sure how many fellow band geeks are in this hiz-ouse but...

In my high school concert band we've played two amazing, goose-bump producing, awesome pieces by this composer named Eric Whitacre. It's fantastic stuff, if you're into choral/instrumental music. Check him out!

Eric Whitacre's myspace

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

Just found this girl on myspace. I think she's got some potential. She has many moments of sounding exactly like ingrid michaelson. But she does have a line about a dentist and the tooth fairy, so check her out.

Sarah Dooley

just designed this for her!

(not done yet)

Firefly.jpg

Our very own MonsterInYourCloset (Shira), sent me this awesome-o link to a friend of hers.

KENDRA FOORD

I think she's f'ing brilliant! I don't know if she's done anything recent, but I thought that these were gems for someone 16 years old (at the time).

Seriously, just give'r a listen through. She apparently recorded these tunes a few years ago, but wrote them even years prior to that... which would've been when she was 16.

Good stuff!