Sign in to follow this  
jesse

"Songs" testpressing / promo version on ebay?

i just stumbled upon this

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27c9db0b4c

... Does this strike anyone else as odd? I don't really understand why this would even exist, nevermind find its way into the hands of someone with an entire store of similar products. It was an independantly produced album distributed exlclusively by Regina/cdbaby, wasn't it? It seems weird to me that there would have been a promo version, as she wasnt on a label and wouldnt have had any reason to wait before "releasing" a cd. And if I understand what a testpressing is, how exactly would this end up there? I would imagine only Regina would have had it, not anyone through whom it would be receieved/purchased by someone who deals in these things?

eta: also just noticed this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Regina-Spektor-Soviet-Kitsch-Sire-U-S-PROMO-cd-RARE-/180955899923?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item2a21cfe813

I agree that seems odd. Maybe someone who knows more than i do about the music industry/putting material out there would be more of an authority, but that seems weird. The only thing i can think is that maybe it was all of the material that Regina wanted on the disc and insert, to be taken to whoever did the fancy artwork.. (although i'd always assumed that Regina was the one who'd written "Songs" in that artful way on the disc..) Someone had to be an official designer of the colors/fonts, etc. That's the only other person i can think of who would get an unfinished copy: the person who would finish the copy. But again, i don't know anything about this stuff.

I just took a look at their store, and, while some items are more believable than others (at least to me, a non-fan of many of the artists listed there), the sheer volume of for-sale rare/exclusive editions/edits/versions of albums smells a little fishy to me, too. What a shame, someone's capitalizing on fandom by burning copies of albums and selling them for 2 and 3 times their real worth. I feel sorry for anyone who gets ripped off by them.