Sign in to follow this  
robertaxel

a new artist doing Regina justice

hi all...

I am sure most of you are familiar with the many cover versions of Regina's songs.. there are new versions on YouTube every day.. The best thing that can be said about many of them is that they are well intended :o . However, I came across one that I think is out of the ordinary for several reasons - the artist has chosen a more obscure deeper cut, she is only 17, and I think does pretty well with it:

Another one; (she also plays keyboard)

That Braille cover is especially good, and good for her for picking an obscure song like that. I too try to avoid covers, as I know there's no way they're gonna be nearly as good, but she has a nice voice.

Great voice and the keyboard (especially on "Braille") is exactly Regina. There is something about Regina's songs, though and her skills as an actress when she plays parts in these songs that makes them hard to cover. I hear "Braille" and can Regina's Bronx. And when she sings about the lake some call the porridge, I like the way she describes "the reporters."

Though they are not necessarily autobiographical, some of these observations are just Regi's and hard to translate into someone else's voice. It's sort of the same feeling I get when I hear Jessica Molaskey cover Paul Simon's "Hearts and Bones." She does a great job with it, but she and John Pizzarelli are not "one and one-half wandering Jews"; Paul Simon and Carrie Fisher, who the song is about, were. In the same vein I recently heard a woman named Elisa Peimer doing a great cover of Joni Mitchell's "Little Green" but now that we know the truly sad circumstances surrounding that song, written when Joni gave up her daughter for adoption, it is jarring to hear someone else sing "You're sad and you're sorry, but you're not ashamed/Little green, have a happy ending." Way too personal a song for a cover.

I'll get over all of this, And I am really grateful to have heard this beautiful young voice. Thanks.